Election 1898 Candidate Speculation

But wait. Who is Salt?

:)

[quote=Hattington]The office of mayor demands many things. Respectability, composure and a certain focused fierceness in every good leader. We need candidates who can be trusted to be the progress we deserve without changing anything we don’t need, candidates who can broaden our horizens and candidates who already have tremendous experience in statesmanship.

I am of course suggesting, in complete sincerity, that the Dawn Machine, Stone and Salt run for the office of mayor next year.[/quote]

Lettice the Mercy should run. “Bastards I said bastards!” She’d clean this city up right quick.

While perhaps meant as a joke, if taken seriously this is actually a very interesting proposal. On the face of it, there’s absolutely no reason whatsoever for a Master to wish to be mayor. So what could possibly serve as motivation for running?
A couple of imperfect ideas come to mind:

• To interfere with elections if there’s a candidate they really, really don’t want elected - without openly disrupting the whole process, which they have authority to do but might wish to avoid for PR reasons. But it’s hard to imagine the mayor’s office having the potential to have enough impact to actually worry anyone, let alone the Masters.
  • In rebellion to the other Masters. I could imagine, say, Fires going totally incognito on a platform of stability and status quo, and then catching the other Master’s off-guard by being able to actually enact his mayoral plans, unlike nearly every other candidate so far. But it’s hard to imagine a Master being able to disguise themselves from the other Masters so well, especially since there’s only a few of them and one going missing is not going to go unnoticed.
  • As an attempt to influence the public from a different direction, by going incognito to the public but known to his fellows. &quotHow do you do, fellow Londoners!&quot style. This might be the most plausible scenario. But it’s hard to imagine what they could possibly want to achieve this way - they don’t seem particularly inclined on deep propaganda in general, other than boring stuff like censorship, and it’s even harder to imagine why they might pick this course of action rather than just, say, bribing or coercing some influential figures to spread their ideas.

So, if FB manages to pull it off, having a Master run could actually be very, very interesting.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/2/2019

The Gracious Widow vs The Duchess vs The Manager, if you know what I mean.

And each of the God-Eaters as their respective campaign assistants. Taking care of business, holding banquets… ;)

I fully support the Mercies idea, that would be well cool! Another candidate that has little to no presence in fallen london, I feel, would be F.F. Gebrandt. With how common her tonics are, it’s strange how little we know of her.

I am surprised that Gebrandt hasn’t shown up in the conversation more over the years.

While perhaps meant as a joke, if taken seriously this is actually a very interesting proposal. On the face of it, there’s absolutely no reason whatsoever for a Master to wish to be mayor. So what could possibly serve as motivation for running?
A couple of imperfect ideas come to mind:

• To interfere with elections if there’s a candidate they really, really don’t want elected - without openly disrupting the whole process, which they have authority to do but might wish to avoid for PR reasons. But it’s hard to imagine the mayor’s office having the potential to have enough impact to actually worry anyone, let alone the Masters.
  • In rebellion to the other Masters. I could imagine, say, Fires going totally incognito on a platform of stability and status quo, and then catching the other Master’s off-guard by being able to actually enact his mayoral plans, unlike nearly every other candidate so far. But it’s hard to imagine a Master being able to disguise themselves from the other Masters so well, especially since there’s only a few of them and one going missing is not going to go unnoticed.
  • As an attempt to influence the public from a different direction, by going incognito to the public but known to his fellows. &quotHow do you do, fellow Londoners!&quot style. This might be the most plausible scenario. But it’s hard to imagine what they could possibly want to achieve this way - they don’t seem particularly inclined on deep propaganda in general, other than boring stuff like censorship, and it’s even harder to imagine why they might pick this course of action rather than just, say, bribing or coercing some influential figures to spread their ideas.

So, if FB manages to pull it off, having a Master run could actually be very, very interesting.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/2/2019[/quote]
What about ‘Mrs. Frontispiece’?[li]

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] In keeping with the idea of having three [/color]polarizing candidates, I suggest that the other two others be Febuary (actively supports the liberation of night) and the Tiger Keeper (Agent of a foreign power, and said power does things like devour people who enter its territory uninvited).[/li][li]
edited by thefantodayhtml on 8/9/2019

It would be fun to see the Topsy King run and perhaps even win. I can only imagine how absurd his public speeches and government would be like, all the more fun for Londoners!

As for the other two candidates, I’d love to see the Bishop of Southwark have another go, perhaps this time he’ll secure a victory.
The third candidate, would probably be an intellectual person. But I can’t imagine someone like Dr. Schlomo or Dr. Orthos garnering up a lot of votes; maybe someone from the University, of Benthic college, inspired by Virginia’s victory in the elections.
edited by Thomas K. Slaughter on 8/8/2019

I know new three candidates: Merry Gentelman, Dr Schlomo and Bishop of Southwark.

A little known fact about the Neath is that there in fact exactly 3 Stone Pigs, and when they wake up, they immediately all go up to the city to run for mayor. After a brisk and enthusiastic political campaign where much antics and friendly banter is had between the candidates, a vote is held for the winner. For some reason, nobody much shows up for these votes (voter engagement is so difficult these days), so it usually ends with the 3 Pigs deciding which one of them did the best and electing that Pig mayor. Then, with the election complete, they immediately tuck themselves to bed and sleep throughout the entirety of their mayoral term, in honour of the mayoral tradition to get absolutely nothing done while in office.
edited by Calliope Rannis on 8/8/2019
edited by Calliope Rannis on 8/8/2019

Actually, the Bishop of Southwark ran before–in the very first Mayoral campaign, I believe. My character supported him. He didn’t do very well.

But the Merry Gentleman and Dr. Schlomo have not run, and both could be interesting, in different ways.

I am pretty sure the Merry Gentleman is too out of this world to run. Then again, I would love the art and the extra bits about the Bethlehem.
Dr Schlomo is a strong candidate in my opinion, especially if FL has temporarily shifted to a dream-related narrative as seems to be the case.

So, to narrow down the suggestions that appeared in this thread into a list of actual, probable candidates:

-Dr Schlomo
-The Pirate Poet
-The Soft-Hearted Widow
-Mr Huffam
-F. Gerbrandt
-The Bishop of St Fiacre
-The Rubbery Enterpreneur
-The Gracious Widow
-The Duchess
-His Amused Lordship
-The Barbed Wit
-The Dark-Spectacled Admiral
-Sophia, the Monster Hunting Academic
-Lydia
-The Topsy King (commisserations to his speech-writers)

I imagine even the lesser known ones can be given a bit to flesh them out within the year i.e. Sophia could get a storylet in our much-neglected university.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 8/10/2019

However, he is connected to a (mostly) political faction and has his share of experience with power and, well, management.
And yes, some art would be great. /stares at wife/

The Pirate Poet, Gracious Widow and Topsy King are all undeniably splendid, but would a criminal want such publicity? Or would the constabulary tolerate a criminal as a mayor, for that matter…

Don’t look at me like that. Please. Aaaargh…
edited by JaneAnkhVeos on 8/9/2019

Probably not. There are pros and cons to every character mentioned in the list, but I am sure FB can come up with a proper reason even for a criminal to decide to wear a civil mask and run for mayor.
Well, maybe except the Topsy King. If they settle on him, even the campaign slogan would be a hec of a challenge, I am sure.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]So, to narrow down the suggestions that appeared in this thread into a list of actual, probable candidates:

-Dr Schlomo
-The Pirate Poet
-The Soft-Hearted Widow
-Mr Huffam
-F. Gerbrandt
-The Bishop of St Fiacre
-The Rubbery Enterpreneur
-The Graceful Widow
-The Duchess
-His Amused Lordship
-The Bardbed Wit
-The Dark-Spectacled Admiral
-Sophia, the Monster Hunting Academic
-Lydia
-The Topsy King (commisserations to his speech-writers)

I imagine even the lesser known ones can be given a bit to flesh them out within the year i.e. Sophia could get a storylet in our much-neglected university.[/quote]

I’m about certain you mean the Gracious Widow there. I do not believe I have heard of a Graceful Widow. Also, you have misspelled the Barbed Wit.
EDIT: Also F. F. Gebrandt. Sorry, didn’t notice that one earlier. Entrepreneur is also misspelled unless this is some vagary of British spelling.
edited by Vryl on 8/9/2019

I’m afraid I don’t quite follow.[li]

I’m afraid I don’t quite follow.[/quote]

The Gracious Widow is from the fourth city. The Duchess is from the second. The Manager is from the first. If I recall correctly, all three were also the ones who made the deals that caused their respective cities to fall.