Election 1898 Candidate Speculation

Still clinging to:

I’ve been considering this ever since he was Contrarian’s initial campaign manager (before January). There was some serious hidden controversy going on, so he definitely has his own vision. Too radical, perhaps (&quotthere is no third way&quot sounded pretty ominous), but intriguing. Even if it would be well-concealed behind a smile and a promise of affordable mental health care / defence of Clay Men rights / watching over each and every citizen i[/i].

I say it right here. Better double down on the bizarre to make the elections better if they’ don’t mean much anymore.

The Rubbery Entrepreneur. Yey for equality of the poor rubbery souls. Nobody will understand him but who cares. Plus a fan favorite as it seems.

A Bunch of Cavies lumped into a medieval armor or Rats in a suit. The cavies would be so huggable and still probably manlier than all the sailors and pirates down in Wolfstack. And I just can’t wait to see the reaction of the Duchess and all the cats in London in the case of the rats.

A Random Clothes Colony. What else would better describe the nonsensical nature of London than saying to your unknowing friends: &quotYes you heard me right, a literal pile of walking clothes got elected into the office by the people. It had my vote too, you know?&quot Honeymazed people must also have a good candidate choice, otherwise it is discrimination!
edited by Vlad on 7/29/2019

Ooh, I’d love to see some interaction between them. Especially if the latter is confirmed to be the one involved in some recent events.

Storm is offended.

I continue to advocate for the Ambitious Barrister.

I think Mr Huffam is an inspired choice. Slightly more difficult, what with him being a real person and all, but he has a special insight into what’s wrong with London and no doubt some particular ideas about what to do about them. Lots of opportunities for interesting writing.

I would like to see the Veteran Privy Counsellor run on a platform of returning dignity to the office, so I can vote against him thoroughly and with great vigor.

Oh, an Urchin candidate. Definitely need one of those. Probably Molly.

Otherwise, where would be fun in that?

Viva la Revolu-…never mind.

Ooh, I’d love to see some interaction between them. Especially if the latter is confirmed to be the one involved in some recent events.[/quote]
With the Manager as the third candidate? Oh dear. Oh dear…

Ooh, I’d love to see some interaction between them. Especially if the latter is confirmed to be the one involved in some recent events.[/quote]
With the Manager as the third candidate? Oh dear. Oh dear…[/quote]
Not necessarily within the context of the Election, I mean.
(But YES.)

Actually, if it involves some good old Liberation, all the better ;)

[quote=JaneAnkhVeos]
Storm is offended.[/quote]
I feel like Storm is always offended. The clues in the name is it not?

After a year of Virginia’s ministrations, there is one specific person I want to see as mayor.

Sister Lydia. She may not be strictly in the church’s good graces, but she is entirely dependable. And almost certainly a spy.

Newer players will not know her. Older players will have had her as a companion for the past three years. I feel that she deserves to get a little more light shed on her, and that she would be uniquely suited for rehabilitating London after whatever it is Virginia does.

I still find the idea of three slightly disillusioned but implacable and dauntless :P former candidates running against each other one more time quite appealing, specifically:

• The Bishop of Southwark (after a year of Virginia, what else can he do?), [/li][li]The Captivating Princess (I bet she’s still smarting over her defeat) and [/li][li]either The Implacable Detective or The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner.

Of course, that leaves the question of just what she might do to London if she were refused a second time…
edited by phryne on 7/29/2019

A recent captioned panel in my journal ::

What is the Vake? Huff’s next Poll ? : If the three most mysterious legendary monsters of the Neath were to run for mayor, one year - Which would you expect / prefer as Candidates…?
26 July, 1897 (Mrs Plenty’s Carnival)
They say it’s not a monster at all. It’s a man who dresses up as a bat. To, ah, prowl the city by night. But that would just be stupid.

-:- Drazzle Psmyth - tyro tarot tosser for Mme Sho’nuff -:-

Rubbery is interesting, but why not Big Rat? If Rubbery, I want Nacreous Outlast. Two another - Dr Schlomo and Pirate Poet.

I want to see the Bishop of Southwick run again . After a year of being lorded over by a devil, I can’t imagine he’d just sit back. He’s fighter! He’d probably run on restoring, and cleansing, the office of Lord Mayor of it’s infernal influences. He’d also probably lead all sorts of investigations into Virginia’s spa and the state of London’s souls. He’d run or argue that Virginia didn’t help anyone and that the entire city needs to return to the church to be redeemed. Gotta have everyone repent after electing a devil into office.

[quote=phryne]I still find the idea of three slightly disillusioned but implacable and dauntless :P former candidates running against each other one more time quite appealing, specifically:

[ul][li]The Bishop of Southwark (after a year of Virginia, what else can he do?), [/li][li]The Captivating Princess (I bet she’s still smarting over her defeat) and [/li][li]either The Implacable Detective or The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner.[/quote][/li][/ul]You know, I like this–but I think the Princess would win, for all the reasons I mentioned above. Now, perhaps if we had Southwark, the Detective, and the DTC all in one go… Not sure I’d want to do have two repeats from the same year, though. Maybe replace the Princess with Mrs. Plenty?

What I want (apart from Schlomo, Huffam, Soft-Hearted Widow and HaL) is an election that won’t be a foregone conclusion.
By now, we know that badasses (Sinning Jenny, Feducci, Virginia) dominate the election the moment they appear. Which is fine (the point of the election is not to win, but to play) but can take some of the wind out of the sails for those who do not support the badass du jour.

Not sure how you solve the problem, since you do want interesting people running. But if Sophia or Lydia run, and I would love to see them, the opposition must be equally brilliant.

[quote=Jolanda Swan]
By now, we know that badasses (Sinning Jenny, Feducci, Virginia) dominate the election the moment they appear.[/quote]
The Princess didn’t.

[quote=Siankan][quote=Jolanda Swan]
By now, we know that badasses (Sinning Jenny, Feducci, Virginia) dominate the election the moment they appear.[/quote]
The Princess didn’t.[/quote]

She wasn’t a badass; she was just bad.

I remain hopeful for a Topsy King/Pirate Poet ticket; failing that, the Barbed Wit.

The Pre-emptive Guinea Pig.

Another candidate I’d want to see again is The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner. Since Virginia’s flash lay revivals she had the backing of members of DTC’s movement, I’d want the original to comeback. She could campaign on finishing/continuing Virginia’s work if the Spa is successful. Or, she could work to re-legitimize the movement. Maybe this time she could more explicitly focus on campaign for the rights of clay and rubbery men. If she ran more for their rights, I think she’d do much better. I can’t remember if another mayoral candidate campaigned explicitly for those groups rights before. DTC would be perfect for it since she had it in the background of her campaign.

It is a very weird world in which the Bishop of Southwark is not conferred Badass status. Very weird.

Anyway, I’d like to again propose that our first three mayors all have a rematch together next year. First, all three would be equally balanced, each having gotten a pretty overwhelming showing. Second, they’re very different so they’d each represent very different alternatives. Third, all three no doubt heavily dislike one another by this point, so there would be a nice amount of conflict. And finally, having them return to the scene would help create some larger narratives to tie the elections together, as each candidate would not just be promising things, but also defending their past performance in office (and rubbishing the others). This would allow some retroactive fleshing out.

Oh, he’s plenty badass. He just got out-badassed that year.