Duelling the Black Ribbon

While the frenzy over the Mirrorcatch Boxes was mounting, I had gone back to Duelling the Black Ribbon even though my character is a POSI and I’ve done those Storylets a long time ago. (It seemed like a fun way to build up my Dangerous to the new maximum of 150.) I had succeeded against the lower-level members (Colonel Pommery, Father Norton, and Mr. Inch) and had decided to raise my Running Battle to 15 or more, to have a real opportunity to earn Echoes from Chi Lan and Feducci.

Now I have 15 Running Battle, but the Storylets for dueling Chi Lan and Feducci are gone! Moreover they were available just a day or two ago. Does anyone know whether this is a deliberate choice by Failbetter, or is it a bug?

As far as i am aware, wounds must be under 2 i think it is, for these two options to show up
edited by Hex on 3/10/2013

[quote=Hex]As far as i am aware, wounds must be under 2 i think it is, for these two options to show up
edited by Hex on 3/10/2013[/quote]

Duh. I had forgotten that. My wounds have piled up since I started this round of duelling. Thanks!

The pleasure is all mine my most delicious Neighbour :)

In addition to the higher levels of cash you also gain a “Fearsome Duellist” quality that increases by 1CP each time you defeat one of them.

I wonder what that caps at. I know I did one of the shadowy heists to get more Master Thief (even though I hit the highest quality name for it) only to find the brass embassy caps at 3 now (and I’m guessing the bazaar caps at 5). Since it seems those heists are the shadowy equivalent of the black ribbon duels, wondering if they might cap too

They probably do, and I’m guessing at a similar level. I haven’t gotten them that high to see though.

I wondered after finding out the Master Thief was capped and decided to test it and get my Dangerous up. I’ve gotten Fearsome Dualist past 7 and am halfway to 8 so far, always dueling Feducci as my final dual.

If it caps, it caps above 25: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Fallador

Given Fallador’s resilience I’m willing to bet it doesn’t cap. However it doesn’t give a new descriptor at any level, so increasing it is up to your passing fancy rather than unlocking anything new.

That I had noticed; it’s a good thing.

Well this answers my questions before I get to ask them.
edited by Willibald on 3/11/2013

If it caps, it caps above 25: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Fallador

Given Fallador’s resilience I’m willing to bet it doesn’t cap. However it doesn’t give a new descriptor at any level, so increasing it is up to your passing fancy rather than unlocking anything new.[/quote]

I should note that Master Thief also used to be uncapped (I had used the Brass Embassy option to get to 5 in the past, though it now caps at 3).

Can one get A Bringer of Death from dueling the black ribbon? I missed out on that quality in the Cheesemonger story and I would like to get it now if possible. I think I read somewhere on the wiki that killing one of the higher-level opponents gets you it–but I could have sworn I’d tried all the options. If someone happens to know if it’s possible to get Bringer of Death and how, I would certainly appreciate the tip!

Yep, you are given two opportunities to acquire this quality. The first is in how you deal with the drownie. After you deal with her (regardless of how) you may challenge Captain Vendrick in a duel to the death.

The option to duel Captain Vendrick to the death should be available, if Duelling with the Black Ribbon has hit 5.