Dream Storylines

Hi

I’m new to the forums, and I’m not certain this is in the right place, but I have a question about the dream storylines.

I’ve been grinding dreams for a while now and I’m starting to wonder if there’s a final goal or a use for the dreams or anything.

I know about the storylet you can get to with high stormy-eyed and high What the Thunder Said, but is there anything like that for other dreams?

For example: I’ve got Burial of the Dead up to 19, and I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort to go higher, since I don’t appear to have unlocked anything.

Well, if you can get Is Someone There? up to 99, you can potentially establish a base-camp in Parabola, if you are a Glassman. Death By Water at one point (and presumably again, when it reopens) provided a gateway into SMEN, but as far as I know that’s all you can do with them.

Unfortunately, I’m a Midnighter. But thanks for the info.

Any idea how someone is suppose to get Is Someone There? that high? Does it just take a ton of grinding?

Presumably. Unless, of course, the cards cap at 50 or something else so high nobody’s reached it yet.

Also, with the rare Interpreter of Dreams opp card you can cash in your Chess or DbW qualities for varying rewards. Other than that, though, I can’t remember many important uses other than the option in Heart’s Desire, but you can circumvent that with a Stone-Tentacle Key if you even picked HD in the first place.

(For future reference, these kinds of threads go under the Bazaar subforum)

[quote=ancusohm]Unfortunately, I’m a Midnighter. But thanks for the info.

Any idea how someone is suppose to get Is Someone There? that high? Does it just take a ton of grinding?[/quote]

[li]
A ton of grinding and avoiding madness, yeah.

There’s a faster trick to getting it up, I’m up to 30, almost 31 right now and you can gain a level every day or so (probably a level every two days once I hit the 40’s). You need to farm Nephrite Lenses and use the “look into a mirror” option. That gives 5 cp of IST.

How do you farm Nephrite Lenses? As far as I know you can only get them from the exotica card (which only shows up if you have no exotica) or by a successful elusive attack on someone who has one in K&C.

[quote=lady ciel ]How do you farm Nephrite Lenses? As far as I know you can only get them from the exotica card (which only shows up if you have no exotica) or by a successful elusive attack on someone who has one in K&C.[/quote] Well, if you get one from an Exotica card and use it, you won’t have any Exotica any more, so the card shows up again.

So I would have to get rid of all my Giggling Mandrakes and Counterfeit Heads of St John the Baptist first. Time for some investigating and lots of menaces!

[li]
I hope with all my heart that you are joking.

It is not a joke - it only shows if you are a Glassman and is impossible at the moment
This is what will be needed - Unlocked with 1 x Set of Cosmogone Spectacles, Is Someone There? 99, 1 x Impossible Theorem, 1001 x Memory of Light, 101 x Direful Reflection, 11 x Rookery Password, Impossible! 1

I’m a PoSI but have yet to see “A Game of Chess”. Has that ship sailed, or will the first opportunity card still show up if I wait long enough?

It’ll turn up. Also, that option will be Impossible for a while yet! I’m positive we’ll have a better way of raising that dream quality once it’s possible.

I have a related question: What do people think the various storylines are actually about? What the Thunder Said is fairly straightforward (as far as these things go) but what about the Fire Sermon? A Game of Chess? I suppose I understand Death by Water and bits of Is Someone There, but Chess and Sermon have always confused me. Any thoughts?[li]

A Game of Chess, to my understanding, hints to a powerful character who is in the Neath but not really in the Neath if you catch my drift. Don’t have too much of a clue about Fire Sermon or Burial of the Dead.

Don’t Burial of the Dead cards raise Approaching the Gates of the Garden? If so that should be a pretty big hint right there.