Does the Talkative Rat help Training Professions?

I’ve reached the fatal level of 70 or more raw score to all my abilities, which prompts the question: if I equip the Talkative Rat before Time the Healer visits, will I get the stat boost for any ability thus reduced below 70? Since I’m getting paid in a couple of hours, the question takes on some urgency.

– Mal

Nope, that won’t work since the professions will only increase your base stats(just like any other action that increases those stats).

Unfortunate, that. Thank you.

– Mal

If you ditch your training profession and take up another one before using up your weekly payment, I’m pretty sure that you’ll be able to claim your new salary immediately, which saves you wasting a week.

Unfortunately, I have neither the influence or card to get a first tier Profession. My fault for failing to plan ahead!

– Mal

I believe (not 100% but, say, 80% confidence) the reward storylets simply accumulate until you choose to claim your rewards. So, in principle, if you are not in a hurry you could wait until you do have the card and have changed the profession and then accept your professional rewards.

ETA: It doesn’t take very much to become a Journalist for example
edited by genesis on 11/17/2015

Oh. that would be quite nice, yes. And it even happens that Journalist was the direction I was intending to go in for now. Naturally, though, I keep flipping cards that are no help.:) And I actually let my Bohemian influence slide to 20, which is 5 short of requirements.
But yes, if I can keep the Ernest of Payment until I’ve changed profession, that would be helpful. Do the advanced professions also improve stats?

– Mal

Professional Payments don’t stack … you need to use it before your next one is due. But if you are careful that means you can leave it for nearly two weeks while you are waiting to get the right card to change profession.

Advanced professions do not boost stats but you do get useful items or things that can be sold at the Bazaar. So, if you have the connections, it can be worth trying a few professions before you settle on the one you want to upgrade with Notability.

I’m pretty sure they don’t accumulate, as in one getting to have a second payment if the weekly payment isn’t picked up before getting another one through Time, the healer. But whenever I’ve saved my weekly payment and switched profession I’ve been able to collect the weekly payment for my new profession rather than for the old one. So the reward storylet does last until it’s cashed in. Just don’t be alarmed when it momentarily disappears after resigning from a profession. It’s just that people with no profession can’t cash in any weekly payment, so the storylet isn’t shown until the new profession is chosen.

Yep, that appears to be correct, lady ciel and Gillsing.

I have a couple of low level alts I use for low level content and I don’t pick up their rewards so they don’t grow too quickly. At the time I had read comments to the effect that they don’t accumulate but I could have sworn that some time ago I accepted a long standing payment and it just kept giving me more and more until they all ran out.

But it was either a very vivid dream or a bug that has since been fixed, because I’ve just tried accepting a hanging payment on one of the alts and, indeed, that was it. No stocked up payments followed unfortunately. Very strange…

Well, good, I’ve turned up the Bohemians card, now all I have to do is grind Connected from 20-25. What would be the most cost-effective way, I wonder?
My Earnest has already arrived, so I need to make sure I don’t click it.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]Well, good, I’ve turned up the Bohemians card, now all I have to do is grind Connected from 20-25. What would be the most cost-effective way, I wonder?
My Earnest has already arrived, so I need to make sure I don’t click it.
– Mal[/quote]

Make your way to the Shuttered Palace, Mal (if you’ve unlocked it already). Go to Entry to the Duchess’ Salon–> Write Poetry in Praise of the Duchess. That one is excellent for Bohemian connections and will help with Duchess connections as well!

Ah, that works very well, Sestina. Even if I did fail the first check (at 97%).

And… I am now a journo. Who would like to be Rosalind Russell? (although, I confess it, I’m nothing like Carey Grant)

– Mal
edited by malthaussen on 11/17/2015

[quote=malthaussen]Ah, that works very well, Sestina. Even if I did fail the first check (at 97%).

– Mal[/quote]

That is, like, one of the most harmless check you can fail at since you even earn money when you fail!

Admittedly, it’s one pence. But still.