Do you know . . .

I am looking for and collect information that would otherwise not really that well-known in Sunless Sea, so please post it here. Just no spoilers to any stories/mission or bugs/glitches (beneficial or otherwise) or anything from FL. Although the value for things you can sell to the the Uni is appreciated.

Let me start first as an example:

Do you know you can go under the Censor’s Arch near Whither?

You just blew my mind. Never occurred to me to even try.

I tried it on my first approach, because an arch sounded like something that would be well clear of the zee surface and I fear not for my hull integrity.

This also applies to the bridges in the Corsairs’ Forest!

[quote=CameoAppearance]I tried it on my first approach, because an arch sounded like something that would be well clear of the zee surface and I fear not for my hull integrity.

This also applies to the bridges in the Corsairs’ Forest![/quote]

This does not, however, apply to the bridge by the Bazaar.

[quote=CameoAppearance]I tried it on my first approach, because an arch sounded like something that would be well clear of the zee surface and I fear not for my hull integrity.

This also applies to the bridges in the Corsairs’ Forest![/quote]

I didn’t know that

Did you know you can check if you can sail under something by shining a light at it?

If there’s space at boat level, the light shines out the other side. If it’s a solid obstruction, the light can’t pass through.

I discovered this by accident myself. I was going too fast to turn and under I went!

Very helpful, I’ve scraped my hull going through that narrow channel a few times. Much easier to sail underneath:)

Emmm, anything else, anyone? PLS?

Do you know that repair will cost 1 supplies for 1 point of hull? Its less efficient then repairing in FL, but it is the ONLY way I find to fix relatively minor damage and damage dreadnaught class ship that bypass the less than 99 hull point requirement

Also, unless if its Captivating Treasure (1000), Soul (500, which I can’t remember the name of and that you can find lying around) and outlandish artifact (100, Depending if you need the money), selling stuff to the Alarming Scholar is a waste of artifact, you better off keeping most of them since they didn’t take up valuable storage.

Do you know the most multiple skill increase (which I found out by accident) is the food taste event Heart challenge thing you found when wandering around (found first in Whither, then everywhere else apparently), When you pick the highest heart challenge, and if you are lucky and win, it increase heart, mirrors and veil.
edited by N156 on 5/5/2014

Doesn’t selling to the Alarming Scholar raise the Naturalist quality though? That might have benefits later (or maybe now but we haven’t raised it high enough…mine’s 6 i believe).

Here’s my clunky sounding ‘Do you know’: Has anyone else been down the channel by Wolfstack Docks? You can see the Echo Bazaar and mark it on your map for extra Fragments (also it’s worth a look just to see it).

I just found out about Censor’s arch (due to the light passing under it, always went around before). Never had a problem realising about the bridges in Corsair’s Forest, maybe because it’s easier to see the light pass under them.

I’d like to know if anyone’s managed to beat a Khanate warship or the Lifeberg yet. I most definately have not.
edited by Notjimsmith on 5/5/2014

You can also find the Observatory if you hug the coast south of London, though the completed part of the map runs out soon afterward. (I just loaded up on supplies and did some exploring of the blank parts of the map. Made it past the Iron Republic, the Carnelian Coast and some less familiar names before the crew mutinied murdered me.)

Did you know that Khanate warships, Lifebergs and similarly powerful monsters don’t actually give you any reward whatsoever?
Now you know. Just avoid them until they’re finished.

The first time I encountered the arch, Mt. Nomad was coming through it which made realizing the passability very easy :). [I am intrigued that after defeating said mountain, the result-message said something like ‘Mt., Nomad, the first time’ - to be continued?]

Yah, it is beneficial, but currently only until 3, then you can receive gift (random) from him/she everytime you dock at FL.

Also, this post is less of a tip and more of a ‘do you know . . .’ thing.

and the Lifeberg/Warship thing, first time I play, those things slaughtered me too, and I find it VERY helpful to increase your veil first, and take care not to increase you illumination to a point where they can hit you. Most creatures need only 25 point to attack/eat your crew, and I found this out by my dreadnought 200 hull point to 100 hull point from a single bite, from a 25 illumination, from a Albino thing (snakelike creature thing)

In a battle, what important is not the damage, but illumination, if you found yourself in a fight you believe to be epic and have no prior experience with, I find it helpful by waging a guerrilla warfare. Increase their illumination by searching for them, reduce your illumination by evading.

Illumination bar (IB) have a line, every time the green bar increase to that line, it mean the illumination increase by 25 points. YOU need to increase illumination points to 50 (your opponent IB) to start some damage. Unfortunately, most creatures need only 25 (first line) to start eating YOU, so make very damn sure your IB is less than that before attacking.

[quote=Xaphedo]Did you know that Khanate warships, Lifebergs and similarly powerful monsters don’t actually give you any reward whatsoever?
Now you know. Just avoid them until they’re finished.[/quote]

That is half correct for the Khanate Warship (and certain other ships that are more/higher than a pirate frigate) and even then not by much, now, they produce a single supply and a LOL moment (http://community.failbettergames.com/topic8307-upon-defeating-a-placeholder-beastie.aspx for more info and a bit spoiler to the LOL thing) In fact, just recently I fought and slay my first 2 Lifeberg in a row, one of them produce a captivating treasure, which I sell to the Alarming Scholar and it worth 1k worth of echoes. It all depends on your LUCK (real-life, not in-game luck) which I naturally have a high point in

I didn’t know that, thanks :)

Well… just defeated a Khanate warship, chose to send it home with a prize crew… but nothing: no loss of crew, no prize money, nada.

Should have mention that the part where Xaphedo got right is that are not finish yet, should have mention that, Sorry. Unless it specifically mention placeholder beastie, not yet seems completed, than it most likely mean an unfinished opponent, why don’t you report it since all of the unfinished pirates are suppose to be replace by placeholder beastie and a mt nomad

Shortly thereafter, encountered a Glorious Dreadnaught and two Jillyfish while exploring the southern reaches. Same for all: Sir not-appearing-yet-in-this-movie.

You do realize that the southern-most part is not yet complete, right? This would also include their their residents and my future prey/toy/harvest. Although, I am curious, when you fought the &quotGlorious Dreadnaught&quot, is its action option thingy the same as the other pirates?

Yeah, I was just wandering. The dreadnaught interacts just like the other placeholder beasts, but does at least have a picture!