Decent Docks Connection Storylet Grind

For almost any faction there seem to be ample storylets you can grind. Except for The Docks, it seems. After sifting through the Wiki, there is a window of opportunity in Wolfstack Docks when engaged in the black ribbon matches and going for Take a Break from Duelling - Boast which nets you a whole 5cp per turn…yay. And that’s IF you have the patience of swapping gear the whole time because the Storylet is designed to be a &quotmodest&quot challenge at best so don;t think you can straightforward tank your way through that.

It seems the only halfway decent place in the entire game is at Mutton Island (which currently is a non-option) which can net you 150CP but only until level 30 so that’s like…what…3 runs maximum? Off the top of my head, last time I tried that storylet during Fruits of the Zee festival it takes quite some turns also so I’m not sure if it’s even that efficient turn/cp wise. Well, comparing with usual 30cp+/turn you can get from most other factions.

The question is, is this a totally ambiguous omission or some kind of intended obstacle? I was planning to farm Expedition Supplies on Docks connection until I found out that Docks Connection it’s practically un-grindable. Unless I am missing some glaring opportunity somewhere. If so please enlighten a poor confused soul.

Buy an Engraved Pewter Tankard from Nikolas Pawnbrokers. It can be used to raise the quality as long as you have at least 10 Connected: Docks and no more than 20. (At least without fate.)

Three actions and 150 Glim yield +75 CP.

My solution was using the Carnival to get Docks up to 10, then using the Engraved Pewter Tankard to get it from 10 to ~20 before cashing it in toward supplies. Rinse and repeat. If you later decide you don’t want to farm for supplies, you can get back 40 of the 50e the tankard costs by selling it at the Bazaar.

Or what Mordaine said whilst typing faster than me. :)
edited by Lady Taimi Ward-Felix on 9/30/2014

Hey! That’s excellent advice. I always thought that kind of things like Books and Pewters was a consumable -never imaged they could be re-used.

So, using above method with the Pewter, you can get 3 supplies i for every 4 turns and just rinse and repeat. If you have the Glim, but that is easy to come by at nearly every level. Well, and a bit of Rostygold of which I have a gazillion.

Thank you both!

If you don’t need the connection to get up fast relying on the Youthful High Spirits card works, plus spending rostygold on the docks card every time it shows up, but it’s obviously not fast.

Although is there a good option for the rest of the factions? I’ve had trouble getting church and hell connections outside of their conflict cards (which, fortunately there are many).

Ever since I got the Soul Trade content and chose to be a Shepherd of Souls my Church connection just shot through the roof on the cards I get for it.

As for Hell, selling Casing to them in the Flit is one decent way I know of.

you can grind docks very slowly along with criminals while in jail, but it is VERY slow and inefficient.

personally i found the fastest way to grind church is writing hymns in the court. as for hell, there are storylets in the 1st part of the university that increases it, but i guess you’ve already passed that point. there’s also a few slow ways to grind hell in ladybones street but i’m not sure if there’s a limit on them.

Re-writing sea-shanties in Veilgarden also brings in Docks connections, though that takes 3 actions, and changes what art school you belong to.

Meh…but that’s 3.33CP/Action at 50 pence gain/Action. The Engraved Pewter Tankard is 25CP/Action at 50 pence cost/action.
If you can afford the Tankard, it’s the better way IMHO.

I like to think of the tankard as a 75 cp/4.5 actions (because 100 brass/a is super easy, and I am too lazy to look up how good educating the louche devil is), so 16.666… cp/a.

Brass, what brass? The tankard needs 150 Glim. Or am I missing sth here…
Indeed I did not factor in grinding for that because I have piles of it stinking up my cellar.

I too thought these items were consumable, and a ridiculous waste of echoes, but no:

Rookery password: Urchins, 90 rats & 3 lizards (if you have an orphanage, this is essential)

Red-feathered pin: Revolutionaries, 3 whisper satin (flip cards in the Flit, this will pay off)

O’Boyle’s Practical Primer in the Various Languages of Nippon, Tartary, Cathay and the Princedoms of the Raj: Widow, 75 cryptic clue (can get you closer to Acacia & Butterfly again)

Old bone Skeleton key: Criminals, 150 brass (you can never be too connected to criminals!)

Copper cipher ring: Great game, 75 cryptic clue (trading GG->church gets you +1 of all second chances)

I think it’s +75 CP to the relevant connection for all of 'em, but only up to 20 (15 for criminals), and costs 3 turns. Infinitely re-usable though.

There are others I haven’t needed yet as well, but Nikolas Pawnbrokers can sort you out!

[quote=yetanotherone]O’Boyle’s Practical Primer in the Various Languages of Nippon, Tartary, Cathay and the Princedoms of the Raj: Widow, 75 cryptic clue (can get you closer to Acacia & Butterfly again)[/quote]I can imagine that would hurt the profitability quite a lot, as instead of getting Jade Fragments and Someone Is Coming you have to spend resources. Even using a Rookery Password to always side against the urchins on both the urchins/docks card and the urchins/widow card hurts profitability, but it might still be worthwhile. Though the urchins are much more expensive than most others, since they want 210 pence of resources.

Diaries of the Dead are consumed though if you use them to evolve your Raven advisors. (Which probably isn’t worth it since a scuttering squad is more shadowy than a devious raven advisor, but. <3 <3 <3 Raven advisors <3 <3 <3)

[quote=dharthoorn]Ever since I got the Soul Trade content and chose to be a Shepherd of Souls my Church connection just shot through the roof on the cards I get for it.

As for Hell, selling Casing to them in the Flit is one decent way I know of.[/quote]

Soul trade helps but I rarely get that card, so its not super helpful >.< (Although I get the conflict cards and the church card plenty, so I’ve been able to keep it around 20, since I don’t really have anything to spend it on.)

And yeah Hell I forgot you could sell casing to, so that’s probably the best way (likewise for criminals, but it’s not especially effective).

Hmmm…that’s odd. I always use the third option on the soul trade card with 5 contracts and 100 souls I believe and that gives a very significant boost to Church and a bit less for Constables. Church is kinda useless unless you want candles but hey…at least I can sleep at night. Unless I’ve been to the Forgotten Quarter.

Brass, what brass? The tankard needs 150 Glim. Or am I missing sth here…
Indeed I did not factor in grinding for that because I have piles of it stinking up my cellar.[/quote]

You missed nothing. I mistook the resources, because I only ever use the skeleton key, not the tankard.

Hmmm…that’s odd. I always use the third option on the soul trade card with 5 contracts and 100 souls I believe and that gives a very significant boost to Church and a bit less for Constables. Church is kinda useless unless you want candles but hey…at least I can sleep at night. Unless I’ve been to the Forgotten Quarter.[/quote]

Well I’ve currently been waiting for that card to turn up for like, a week. Which is probably a large part the rng hating me and giving me the Paranomastic Newshound instead.

Well, it IS a bronze card so common it’s not. Still, I agree that it could spawn more than it does now. For me it appears once in a few 100 cards also.

Border color isn’t the same as frequency.

No, it’s not, you’re right. While perhaps the border color may provide some minor insight because bronze cards generally don’t seem to appear all THAT much it’s definitely not the same thing. I’ll check the rarity when next I see it.