December Exceptional Story: Por Una Cabeza

[quote=Meradine Heidenreich]Has someone already mentioned that this title has its own Wikipedia page? (I was looking for a translation for the mouseover text…)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Por_una_Cabeza[/quote]
Thank you so much. I’ve completely missed this fascinating layer of meaning.

Thank you both for the references! Borges gets around London a lot, doesn’t he?

Maybe that with Christmas on the Surface and Sackmas down here some have forgotten about this exceptional story.
Just make sure to unlock it by tomorrow! :)
Merry Sackmas!!!

Because it was delayed one day, let us bump it once more for the last hour before this ES gets locked! Maybe someone out there will find this useful!

Was there a special place I needed to go to unlock this story? I have tje Jan & Nov ES but can’t seem to find this one.

You needed to unlock it while it was the active Exceptional Story. We’ve now switched over to January’s story, and this one is no longer available, even if you have a subscription. If this was a mistake on your part, you can try reaching out to support@failbettergames.com and pleading for a Christmas miracle.

If you did unlock it, and can’t follow the thread, the usual advice is to check the four starting areas. This one in particular I think requires Ladybones Road early on.

This was the second story (after Cricket, Anyone?) in which we saw a devil dance the Correspondence, which I find very interesting, especially concerning devils’ association with bees. After all, bees communicate by dancing.

I have a feeling that the Revolution in which the Devils overthrew the old order might’ve involved a lot of dancing. Maybe this is why they throw so many balls - maybe each ball is dedicated to a particular hero of the Revolution.

And now I want to see Virginia dance. Or maybe not. No, maybe rather not… ;)

[quote=phryne]This was the second story (after Cricket, Anyone?) in which we saw a devil dance the Correspondence, which I find very interesting, especially concerning devils’ association with bees. After all, bees communicate by dancing.

I have a feeling that the Revolution in which the Devils overthrew the old order might’ve involved a lot of dancing. Maybe this is why they throw so many balls - maybe each ball is dedicated to a particular hero of the Revolution.

And now I want to see Virginia dance. Or maybe not. No, maybe rather not… ;)[/quote]
the correspondence can be danced eh maybe its time to edit the bell and candle

I’ve been stuck at Day 31 of the race for a few weeks now – I can’t get higher than 1 Snooping for a Scoop. Nothing I try seems to do anything. Might some gentle soul out there have a clue for this hapless author?
edited by Lord Chillingsworth on 12/29/2019

[quote=Lord Chillingsworth]I’ve been stuck at Day 31 of the race for a few weeks now – I can’t get higher than 1 Snooping for a Scoop. Nothing I try seems to do anything. Might some gentle soul out there have a clue for this hapless author?
edited by Lord Chillingsworth on 12/29/2019[/quote]
Snooping for a Scoop is tied to investigation, so you need to investigate another one of the competitors if you haven’t already (and you will need to investigate them all eventually).

[quote=silurica][quote=Lord Chillingsworth]I’ve been stuck at Day 31 of the race for a few weeks now – I can’t get higher than 1 Snooping for a Scoop. Nothing I try seems to do anything. Might some gentle soul out there have a clue for this hapless author?
edited by Lord Chillingsworth on 12/29/2019[/quote]
Snooping for a Scoop is tied to investigation, so you need to investigate another one of the competitors if you haven’t already (and you will need to investigate them all eventually).[/quote]

What happens when I go to investigating the Competitors is &quotConsider something else - you’ve already begun an investigation.&quot It won’t let me investigate the Inveterate Gambler. I must be missing something somewhere… I’ll have to keep poking at it.

Thank you, dear friend, for the clues!

Sounds like you may have already begun an investigation inadvertently. Try checking all the locations around London, as the investigation storylet should be somewhere there, but if nothing’s obvious support@failbettergames.com is always a safe bet.

Did you go to the mansion? You have to go back each time.

My thanks, Delicious Friend.

I very much enjoyed this story!
I can’t believe they got me to feel invested in a slug race :P

As soon as I found out who the Gambler was, I felt like I had to help them (again). It was really nice to see that success.

I also liked Dona Villar very much. She felt like I could be at ease around her, and also that she could easily cheat me for everything. A tragic figure and a resourceful mastermind at the same time.

Two thumbs up from me :)

Ah! with some assistance from the Masters, I have finally concluded this storyline! Very well done (and it was only one thing I was missing – once again, I thank everyone for the willing hand!).

This is late, but I don’t see that anyone has answered your question and for the benefit of anyone also starting this story months after it was released, yes, there is a little extra text if one has one’s very own slug. The first time you meet Dona Villar, you ask about racing your own slug, but alas, that’s not possible; here’s the echo: Fallen London . There’s also an option to feed your slug lettuce in the garden; echo here: Fallen London .

I’d like to echo everyone’s delight with the story and add that a small thing I find particularly pleasing is that we actually move to the location we’re supposed to be, within the story. In most ES’s that doesn’t happen, we stay in the location we started out in, even if the story has moved us all around London. It’s a small thing – but maybe it’s complicated to code? no idea – but it really adds to the verisimilitude of the story for me.
edited by theonie on 3/3/2020

For the record, I kept the Epilogue waiting since December, but as of yesterday, having just gotten the Cider, Caroline shared it with Doña Villar, only then finishing the story. That is how much I liked that character and story, and how much I wanted to give it the right ending.
edited by Lady Karnstein on 3/17/2020