Death and Healing in Fallen London

Well, we know that death doesn’t take, not most of the time anyhow. But what about grievous wounds? How does pain and healing work in Fallen London?

In particular, I was just stabbed three times in the chest in a fighting ring, and volunteered myself a couple of times for dissection. During one dissection, I talked the medical students through my scars as they cut open my old wounds. Do the cuts just heal up as as I get off the table? Do they heal faster?

I personally hope so, as my character is describes as having no particular signs whatsoever, and a scar would ruin the effect (I made an esception for that nearly invisible, moon-shaped bite scar ^^). I think the only thing we know for certain is that there is a limit to the amount of damage a body can substain, forcing the victim to join the Tomb-Colonists, but I guess lesser wounds could heal quite quickly; the amount of scarring is left to each player’s tastes. Probably a critical wound would not heal so easily, though (say, a severed hand or the like).

I concur, though it might be more than that, as the black ribbon duelist that you can train under is described as having a hole in her chest, and while exiled to the tomb colonies, one of the colonist’s eyes falls into your wine and he only laughs at your discomfort, until you end up throwing it in the fire that is.

Scars shaped in the correspondence don’t seem to heal well.

I don’t think that severed body parts would heal. That would mean all the eyes taken by sorrow-spiders would simply grow back over time, which would make sorrow-spiders more of a nuisance than a threat.

I don’t think that severed body parts would heal. That would mean all the eyes taken by sorrow-spiders would simply grow back over time, which would make sorrow-spiders more of a nuisance than a threat.[/quote]

However, when exiled it appears that a tomb-colonist feels comfortable dropping his eye into your glass to shock you. Of course, he also proceeds to flip out when you throw said glass into the fire. Plus, some messages for high wounds gains often mention that you’re losing some limbs. It may be that body parts may be reattachable with little difficulty in FL, but if destroyed, you’re out of luck.

I don’t think that severed body parts would heal. That would mean all the eyes taken by sorrow-spiders would simply grow back over time, which would make sorrow-spiders more of a nuisance than a threat.[/quote]

However, when exiled it appears that a tomb-colonist feels comfortable dropping his eye into your glass to shock you. Of course, he also proceeds to flip out when you throw said glass into the fire. Plus, some messages for high wounds gains often mention that you’re losing some limbs. It may be that body parts may be reattachable with little difficulty in FL, but if destroyed, you’re out of luck.[/quote]
This makes sense but
losing some limbs
what

Anyway yeah I got the impression that that tomb-colonist expected to be able to reattach his eye up until you chucked it into the fire. It’s possible that the same principle applies to other severed appendages so long as you can find them again, intact, to reattach. (So you might have some problems if a sorrow-spider got ahold of it.) However there’s enough people walking around missing parts – eyes being the most obvious example; there’s lots of one-eyed dockers and zailors, and at least one of the blind astronomers is missing his eyes completely – that I think we can rule out severed bits growing back.

I’m not sure if non-fatal wounds heal unnaturally fast or thoroughly, though. It seems fairly plausible, but I haven’t seen anything that really makes things definite.

Also I figure tomb-colonists can be up and about with all kinds of grievous wounds or states of decomposition that someone less dead couldn’t really manage. Probably that’s one of the trade-offs of being a tomb-colonist in the first place.

As far as character stuff goes, I picture my character as being pretty scarred up. Mostly sorrow-spider bite scars. Just not really scarred up around the face, and the rest is hidden when they’re dressed.

On a related note, how did I escape from a small, velvet-lined box by dying? It seems like I literally got on the slow boat, and got off at my Lodgings.

And now I have the comical mental image of a character slitting his own throat so that he can get home faster.

Also known as Taking The Suicide Express.