Cost of a Zub

Making my eyes water

My other account is grinding to try and get the yacht which is much lower cost it seems but needs more stats.

Eh it’s a long shot luck check/ at 10% succes chance it would take about 2.4 actual stake to get the yacht. it’s not that much cheaper~. The only reason it is easier is that the contraptions are much harder to grind than most other items.

Seriously, just go for a Clipper. Speed is more important than safety on the Unterzee. If you’re really determined to get the Zub, I honestly think it would be faster if you just worked for the money to buy the Fate option. o_O

Aye, I regret not going for a Zee-Clipper. Right now, there’s not much advantage to getting any of the other ships.

If you think it’s bad now you should have seen it back before Wilmot’s End and the economic re-vamp. The non-Exceptional could expect over a month of pure grinding. Count those lucky stars!

I feel old… I remember when just one step in acquiring my Clipper, cost me 24 Use of Villians.

Twenty-four. and the Clipper was by and away, the cheapest of all the ‘special’ vessels!

Although i will say about the Clipper, as much as some people love it, i’m mildly disappointed. I was hoping it’d boost my dreaded, you know, it being a practical pirate vessel, but, no. Alas. It seems as though it’s no more fearful than a Pleasure Yatcht, or a Rusted old Steam-tramp. That being said, the Zub gives you very valuable Bizarre, which is a bit of a rarity, in comparison to Respectable.
edited by armadaos on 5/21/2012

I paid Fate for my Zub on my main account, but went through the grind for my Clipper on my alt account. I don’t regret paying the Fate in the long run. It was perfectly possible to grind (and this was back before the economic re-vamp), but I went through Plateful of Murders so many times. And that was just for the Use of Villains. I also don’t regret choosing to grind for my Clipper.

The Zub does seem to have more options on the cards once at Zee and despite everything I find it much quicker than my Clipper. I don’t know if my alt account just has really bad luck, but I’m almost always well into Lashing Waves by the time I pull into port with my Clipper.

I just couldn’t bear to be back onboard a Sub, even in a game :/

my Tramp Steamer is slow, but it is easy enough to cherry pick opportunity cards while converting items or reducing menaces in the downtime.

Is it true that submariners have a deep seated hatred for zeppelin operators?

I, for one, felt they were compatriots. Both vessel types dare to go where man was never designed to venture.

A disaster in either has similar results. In the one you explode and the other you implode.

Either fate encourages only the bravest or most foolhardy of Adventurers.

I don’t know… I would enjoy getting a zeppelin AND a submarine (although I am happy with my clipper).

Although in the Neath, a zeppelin probably will be very hard to operate considering that normally the sky doesn’t have thousands of spikes waiting to poke through your balloon and a bat with attitude taking a bite out of your zeppelin would make it go down faster than a zee-clipper chasing a local clipper in Polythreme.

I don’t know… I would enjoy getting a zeppelin AND a submarine (although I am happy with my clipper).

Although in the Neath, a zeppelin probably will be very hard to operate considering that normally the sky doesn’t have thousands of spikes waiting to poke through your balloon and a bat with attitude taking a bite out of your zeppelin would make it go down faster than a zee-clipper chasing a local clipper in Polythreme.[/quote]

Not that the Unterzee is safer… At least stalactites don’t actively try to bring your vessel down, like clinging coral masses, haunted islands and zee monsters do T.T

I am thinking of getting the zubmarine for flavor reasons. Does the choice of a ship have any significant impact on travel time, or is it a small advantage? How often do you have to travel? How many actions does it cost to cross the Unterzee in general?
How often do you have to raise troubled waters? Is it a one time thing for a quest or do you do it all the time to grind something? How much harder it is with a sub?

Not at all! I would dearly love a dirigible of my own. I once went out on one with my dear Once-Dashing Smuggler and I hold the memory fondly. As fondly as I would hold him if the Bazaar but let me.

[quote=Fhoenix]I am thinking of getting the zubmarine for flavor reasons. Does the choice of a ship have any significant impact on travel time, or is it a small advantage? How often do you have to travel? How many actions does it cost to cross the Unterzee in general?
How often do you have to raise troubled waters? Is it a one time thing for a quest or do you do it all the time to grind something? How much harder it is with a sub?[/quote]

I find crossing the zee to be quiet pleasant in my Zubmarine. I get to go beneath the water when the weather is bad and avoid the Killing Wind altogether.

I don’t think the change in pace between the 3 ships is really something to be concerned with. They all have their own opportunity cards and you should really go with the one that best fits your character. I will personally spend weeks at zee island hopping, but you don’t need to do that. It usually takes me somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 actions to get across. Depending on my luck and whether or not I wanted to be a pirate on that trip. I have a tendency to use my cards and I don’t know how that effects my travel time overall.

The only storyline that I know of that requires you to raise your Troubled Waters is Theological Husbandry and it’s for one…item. Whether or not you return for that item is entirely up to you and what you choose to do with it once you return to the Labyrinth. I do find it harder to raise my Troubled Waters in my Zubmarine than in my Clipper, but it’s not that big of a deal. It’s really just a matter of repeatedly choosing the worst possible options available to you.