Correspondence Plaques

As someone with level 18 Scholar of the Correspondence who is aiming for Courier’s Footprint, what is the best way to grind correspondence plaques? I’ve been using a lot of my Connected: The Tomb Colonists, but that’s running out fast.

I believe the best way is to use Thefts of Particular Character in the Flit to get Journals of Infamy, and then side convert them 50 at a time into Correspondence Plaques.

If my math is correct, with a Gang of Hoodlums and a high enough Shadowy you can get 51 Correspondence Plaques for 21 actions on average.

I think breeding hyenas (fungus and pious wrath) and upconverting the results is a bit better. About 14% better, according to my collected data.
It takes way more real time and clicks, though.

[quote=xKiv]I think breeding hyenas (fungus and pious wrath) and upconverting the results is a bit better. About 14% better, according to my collected data.
It takes way more real time and clicks, though.[/quote]
Not to mention planning, as you need high enough nightmares and honey for the process as well!

You get an unholy amount of Plaques as a side-product of running the Affair of the Box. Not fast, but worth mentioning. How many do you need anyway?

I now have 765, meaning I only need 437 more. That’s not including Aeolian Screams, but I’ll probably just do Unfinished Business on Ladybones for that, rare successes there are rather common.

Via the Affair of the Box you 6 Correspondence Plaques for every 14 actions (plus 20 echoes worth of Mourning Candles).
The cash is good, but it’s not an efficient source of Plaques - just a nice side effect of the cycle.

Repeating the Affair of the box for Strangling Willow Absinthe and then down-converting three times to Correspondence plaques nets out 2.67 or so Plaques per turn, significantly better than 2.43 or so from the Thefts route. It’s slightly more fiddly, but it also does level shadowy a lot faster if that is relevant to you.

350000 turns AoBox = 150000 CP directly + 875000 SWA
875000 SWA + 17500 turns = 892500 WSS
892500 WSS + 17850 turns = 910350 JoI
910350 JoI + 18207 turns = 928577 CP
→ 1078557 CP in 403557 turns ~= 2.67 cp/turn

I haven’t done the math on the breeding path, but it does sound like it may be better still.

Hmm, the back of my envelope indicates that the breeding path is close but slightly worse.

The cycle, starting and ending in Coil 2:
1 turn -100 Honey for Hyena
1 turn -10 cryptic Clue to 3rd coil
1 turn to 4th coil
7 turns for Taming
7 turns for Thwarting
1 turn for Breeding
2 turns to return to the second coil

20 turns for the cycle. I’ll use 70% as an estimate for Pretty Good Odds. Reward is 70% chance at 310 Surface Silk Scraps, 30% chance at 210 Surface Silk Scraps, for an average payoff of 280 SSS.

How much are those SSS worth? Conversions are 500 SSS to 105 WSS, then 50 WSS to 51 JoI, then 50 JoI to 51 CP. Doing a batch of 500 to make the numbers integers:

250000 SSS + 500 turns = 52500 WSS
52500 WSS + 1050 turns = 53550 JoI
53550 JoI + 1071 turns = 54621 CP
Net: 250000 SSS = 54621 CP - 2621 turns

The 280 SSS we get from one cycle comes out to 0.00112 of that total, or 280 SSS = 61.17552 CP - 2.93552 turns

Net from the cycle after conversions:
61.17552 Correspondence Plaques in 22.93552 turns, or 2.67 CP per turn, about equal to the Affair path. The additional costs of the honey and clues make it the worse choice in general, though if you much prefer to train Dangerous over Shadowy it might be a good choice.

[quote=Noren]Repeating the Affair of the box for Strangling Willow Absinthe and then down-converting three times to Correspondence plaques nets out 2.67 or so Plaques per turn, significantly better than 2.43 or so from the Thefts route[/quote]I like it!