Connected: the Tomb-Colonists rework

[quote=th8827]Hmm… Saya said that more content may be added, so just because those factions are marginal right now does not mean that they will be forever.

The Widow has henchmen. The connection is named after the boss, but it is a large group.

The Duchess has cats, who may need Favors to trade in boxes. It would be nice to see more uses for her connection, too.

The University has two factions. Both sizable. The update may even add a third, post expedition carousel, which would be great.

I hope that the Masters have uncapped Favors.[/quote]
Until they add new content, though, i think they should remain connected. The university would need storylet favors to be viable at the moment, as would the duchess, abiet to a lower degree. (which seems to be on their avoid list, really.)

And i do think masters should have a unique setup- uncapped favors doesn’t feel like it suits.

I had always assumed Renown was useless and only a marker for your previous Connection level, but it’s only been in the past couple of days that I heard it unlocked certain things - and so even since before Criminals changes, I’ve been dunking Connnections as low as I can get them, thinking that the Renown was pointless.

But now that I’m hearing it’s useful, especially for getting Quirks up from 10, what level should I have these connections at? (I don’t know the formula for converting Connection to Favours/Renown, and don’t presently have any Renown with anyone.)

Edit: Also, it seems that currently I’m only able to get Favours: Criminals via Opportunity cards. Is this actually the case, or are there grindable storylets I can use rather than waiting for the right card(s) to appear?
If so, will this be true for all of the factions as they convert over to the new system? Just seems like maybe I was mistaken and I’d be better off grinding Connections before the conversion rather than relying on luck to be able to gather the Renown later on. I just don’t know how high I should be trying to get those connections, either.
Feeling kinda lost in all this right now, and I can’t figure out what is the better option. :-s
edited by Kittenpox on 3/20/2016

Agreed.

[quote=Kittenpox]I had always assumed Renown was useless and only a marker for your previous Connection level, but it’s only been in the past couple of days that I heard it unlocked certain things - and so even since before Criminals changes, I’ve been dunking Connnections as low as I can get them, thinking that the Renown was pointless.

But now that I’m hearing it’s useful, especially for getting Quirks up from 10, what level should I have these connections at? (I don’t know the formula for converting Connection to Favours/Renown, and don’t presently have any Renown with anyone.)

Edit: Also, it seems that currently I’m only able to get Favours: Criminals via Opportunity cards. Is this actually the case, or are there grindable storylets I can use rather than waiting for the right card(s) to appear?
If so, will this be true for all of the factions as they convert over to the new system? Just seems like maybe I was mistaken and I’d be better off grinding Connections before the conversion rather than relying on luck to be able to gather the Renown later on. I just don’t know how high I should be trying to get those connections, either.
Feeling kinda lost in all this right now, and I can’t figure out what is the better option. :-s
edited by Kittenpox on 3/20/2016[/quote]
For Criminals, the highest that you would need is 20 Renown. You can go much higher, though.

The conversion rate is 1 Favor for 1 CP Renown using the Connected item (Skeleton Key and Pewter Mug), using the standard leveling procedure for qualities.

Besides the Carnival storylet, which locks at 5 Renown, there is no non-card grind that I know of. Favoring the Docks in a conflict gets you 3 Favors, though, which makes Supply grinds easier (at least until urchins get reworked). It only appears at 3-4 Favors Docks, though. The Criminal/cops Conflict only happens at 7 Favors, so it is not really useful for gaining Favors. However, if you made Jack angry, and he is around, the Smoky Flophouse is a great source of Criminal Favors.
edited by th8827 on 3/20/2016

I just want to note here that the 1 Favor = 1cp Renown is only true until Renown reaches 8. It then gives 2cp per Favor and finally goes to 6+cps per Favor at Renown 15. Discovering that was a delightful surprise.

Edit: This is true of both Criminals and Docks, but is only probably universal going forward.
edited by MrBurnside on 3/20/2016

[quote=Kittenpox]Edit: Also, it seems that currently I’m only able to get Favours: Criminals via Opportunity cards. Is this actually the case, or are there grindable storylets I can use rather than waiting for the right card(s) to appear?
Feeling kinda lost in all this right now, and I can’t figure out what is the better option. :-s[/quote]There aren’t any storylets that provide you with Favours: Criminals (outside of the Carnival, obviously). There are storylets that allow you to obtain Favours: Docks, but they are inconvenient to say the least. If you still have access to the Court, you get three Favours for creating a Patriotic Adventure, and you can do the Mutton Island carousel and take the &quotCrash!&quot storylet at the end for one Favour per run-around.

I’d expect future Favours factions to be similar to how Docks currently works. If you’re desperate or really want to grind up renown, you can, but it will be inefficient compared to patiently waiting on opportunity cards.

[quote=th8827][quote=Kittenpox]-snip-
Feeling kinda lost in all this right now, and I can’t figure out what is the better option. :-s[/quote]
For Criminals, the highest that you would need is 20 Renown. You can go much higher, though.

The conversion rate is 1 Favor for 1 CP Renown using the Connected item (Skeleton Key and Pewter Mug), using the standard leveling procedure for qualities.

Besides the Carnival storylet, which locks at 5 Renown, there is no non-card grind that I know of. Favoring the Docks in a conflict gets you 3 Favors, though, which makes Supply grinds easier (at least until urchins get reworked). It only appears at 3-4 Favors Docks, though. The Criminal/cops Conflict only happens at 7 Favors, so it is not really useful for gaining Favors. However, if you made Jack angry, and he is around, the Smoky Flophouse is a great source of Criminal Favors.[/quote]

[quote=MrBurnside]
I just want to note here that the 1 Favor = 1cp Renown is only true until Renown reaches 8. It then gives 2cp per Favor and finally goes to 6+cps per Favor at Renown 15. Discovering that was a delightful surprise.

Edit: This is true of both Criminals and Docks, but is only probably universal going forward.[/quote]

For those which have converted over already, I figure it’s just a matter of grinding Favours then cashing them in for Renown. I likely won’t do that with Criminals for quite some time (because I require those for my current long-term grind), but I haven’t looked too much into Docks - and perhaps I should, as I seem to have a couple of good sources for their Favours. (I’ll have to check with the Galatea crew if they still provide bonuses to Docks.)

The part I was unsure about though, is about raising the Connections before they’re changed to the new system. Should I leave them at Connected:{Faction} {As close to 0 as I can get}, or get them to Connected:{Faction} {Maybe like 10-20}, or Connected:{Faction} {50-ish or more}, or Connected:{Faction} {Insert number here}?
Or would I need to raise them as high as my Connected: Duchess (which is currently at 392) meaning that it would take so many Actions that it’s not even worth it, and I’m better off waiting until AFTER the change to the Renown/Favours system before gathering Renown?

But, while we’re on the topic of converting Favours->Renown, would that mean if I was going from 0 Renown (which I currently have with everyone), I’d need to spend around 84 Favours to get from 0 Renown to 20? (So around 170 actions, give or take?) Or am I doing the maths wrong?
edited by Kittenpox on 3/20/2016

[quote=Kittenpox][quote=th8827][quote=Kittenpox]-snip-
Feeling kinda lost in all this right now, and I can’t figure out what is the better option. :-s[/quote]

Besides the Carnival storylet, which locks at 5 Renown, there is no non-card grind that I know of. Favoring the Docks in a conflict gets you 3 Favors, though, which makes Supply grinds easier (at least until urchins get reworked). It only appears at 3-4 Favors Docks, though. The Criminal/cops Conflict only happens at 7 Favors, so it is not really useful for gaining Favors. However, if you made Jack angry, and he is around, the Smoky Flophouse is a great source of Criminal Favors.[/quote]

[quote=MrBurnside]

Edit: This is true of both Criminals and Docks, but is only probably universal going forward.[/quote]

For those which have converted over already, I figure it’s just a matter of grinding Favours then cashing them in for Renown. I likely won’t do that with Criminals for quite some time (because I require those for my current long-term grind), but I haven’t looked too much into Docks - and perhaps I should, as I seem to have a couple of good sources for their Favours. (I’ll have to check with the Galatea crew if they still provide bonuses to Docks.)

The part I was unsure about though, is about raising the Connections before they’re changed to the new system. Should I leave them at Connected:{Faction} {As close to 0 as I can get}, or get them to Connected:{Faction} {Maybe like 10-20}, or Connected:{Faction} {50-ish or more}, or Connected:{Faction} {Insert number here}?
Or would I need to raise them as high as my Connected: Duchess (which is currently at 392) meaning that it would take so many Actions that it’s not even worth it, and I’m better off waiting until AFTER the change to the Renown/Favours system before gathering Renown?

But, while we’re on the topic of converting Favours->Renown, would that mean if I was going from 0 Renown (which I currently have with everyone), I’d need to spend around 84 Favours to get from 0 Renown to 20? (So around 170 actions, give or take?) Or am I doing the maths wrong?
edited by Kittenpox on 3/20/2016[/quote]
21 favors to 8, if you use exactly the right number and gain renown through the carnival first, with no excess from the carnival.
48 favors to 15, if you use exactly the right number.
30 favors from 15 to 20, if you use exactly the right number.

To get renown 50, you need about your duchess connected, if the previous examples set precendents, but getting there from 49 would be 17 favors, each from card based actions and each worth at least 3 echoes for the docks.

The optimal points are connected: 10-20 (full favors, no renown. If you don’t care about renown, or don’t want over 5, this is generally optimal), connected: absurdly high # (if you want renown for bragging rights). I believe 392 is roughly the point where you get no more, and hit the renown 50. However, this could be worth doing anyways- connections aren’t card based, and favors tend to be very valuable, and many have high CP sources. I don’t know what level 100 cp will payout, but that’s probably best.

[quote=Grenem]21 favors to 8, if you use exactly the right number and gain renown through the carnival first, with no excess from the carnival.

To get renown 50, you need about your duchess connected, if the previous examples set precendents, but getting there from 49 would be 17 favors, each from card based actions and each worth at least 3 echoes for the docks.

The optimal points are connected: 10-20 (full favors, no renown. If you don’t care about renown, or don’t want over 5, this is generally optimal), connected: absurdly high # (if you want renown for bragging rights). I believe 392 is roughly the point where you get no more, and hit the renown 50. However, this could be worth doing anyways- connections aren’t card based, and favors tend to be very valuable, and many have high CP sources. I don’t know what level 100 cp will payout, but that’s probably best.[/quote]

Thankyou! :-D

I would like renown a lot more if it increased the maximum number of favors you could hold.

[quote=Kittenpox][quote=Grenem]21 favors to 8, if you use exactly the right number and gain renown through the carnival first, with no excess from the carnival.

The optimal points are connected: 21 (full favors, no renown. If you don’t care about renown, or don’t want over 5, this is generally optimal), connected: absurdly high # (if you want renown for bragging rights). I believe 392 is roughly the point where you get no more, and hit the renown 50. However, this could be worth doing anyways- connections aren’t card based, and favors tend to be very valuable, and many have high CP sources. I don’t know what level 100 cp will payout, but that’s probably best.[/quote]

Thankyou! :-D[/quote]
Correction: the docks/criminals favors formula is 1 favor for 3 levels connection. The renown formula is one level for each 6 levels connection after 21. They said the tomb colonists will have a more favorable ratio

This means full favors is connected 21, and full renown is 321. renown 20 = connected 121. (by the old system). Tomb colonists will be more generous with renown, i’m told.

It’s also worth noting that if you don’t have the right gear, grinding connections is probably the only way to get renown 50, until better gear becomes availible.
edited by Grenem on 3/21/2016
edited by Grenem on 3/21/2016

[quote=Grenem]It’s also worth noting that if you don’t have the right gear, grinding connections is probably the only way to get renown 50, until better gear becomes available.[/quote]Getting to Renown 50 requires a relevant stat of 294.
So even if you have the right gear, getting to 50 is impossible if you don’t also have your PoSI speciality in the required stat and have a healthy supply of mood cards.

But increasing renown is the way to gain quirks and as it needs higher stats to do so if you want to do that it might be better not to have your connection too high.

[quote=Nigel Overstreet][quote=Grenem]It’s also worth noting that if you don’t have the right gear, grinding connections is probably the only way to get renown 50, until better gear becomes available.[/quote]Getting to Renown 50 requires a relevant stat of 294.
So even if you have the right gear, getting to 50 is impossible if you don’t also have your PoSI speciality in the required stat and have a healthy supply of mood cards.[/quote]
That’s what i meant- not great as speaking clearly.

I doubt they have the tech to support this, but it sure would be great!

Yeah, but I think the point is that The Number is 7. (Also that gaining/spending favours should feel meaningful rather than helping out someone a bit, then later turning them into your minions all the while bull-whipping them in a frenzied manner whilst screaming &quotBUT I HELPED YOU 23 MONTHS AGO. YOU OWE ME!&quot)

If they wanted to make it so you could have a much larger number of maximum Favours, they might as well have stayed with the Connection system instead. :-)

Edit: Please excuse the mental imagery there - I may or may not have have recently listened to the OneShot podcast’s two ‘All Outta Bubblegum’ episodes. :3
edited by Kittenpox on 3/21/2016

Yeah, but I think the point is that The Number is 7. (Also that gaining/spending favours should feel meaningful rather than helping out someone a bit, then later turning them into your minions all the while bull-whipping them in a frenzied manner whilst screaming &quotBUT I HELPED YOU 23 MONTHS AGO. YOU OWE ME!&quot)

If they wanted to make it so you could have a much larger number of maximum Favours, they might as well have stayed with the Connection system instead. :-)

[/quote]

I find myself taking advantage and spending much more favours than when it was connections.
Back then I did not want connection to get lowered much and tried to keep an arbitrary number of connection > 30 with all factions.
This hoarding was not logically wise. It’s not like real money we keep for a rainy day or an unexpected expense.
Now, that favours are maxed at 7 and I can no longer hoard them, I spend them each time and gain echos (or other equivalent items).
If I want to role play a connection to a faction - I have Renown. If not, ignore renown and spend all favours without guilt.
I have just figured out this psychological transformation and I feel even better with the new system.
edited by Gonen on 3/21/2016

Considering the current grind requirements, I’m inclined to agree - or maybe seven sevens (49), and have them spent in 7-unit increments?
At the moment even getting 1CP at a time of Connected:Masters is a struggle, and to have previous efforts reduced via rounding off numbers would be disheartening to say the least.

Considering the current grind requirements, I’m inclined to agree - or maybe seven sevens (49), and have them spent in 7-unit increments?
At the moment even getting 1CP at a time of Connected:Masters is a struggle, and to have previous efforts reduced via rounding off numbers would be disheartening to say the least.[/quote]The interesting thing is that the Masters currently don’t have a connection item, so how will we increase Renown? On the other hand, Connected: Masters will really benefit from this changeover, as it arguably suffers the worst from Connection hoarding tendencies. It’s so hard to grind up that I can’t imagine ever expending it for anything.

I think right now the feeling is &quotLet’s get all the regular Connections sorted, then figure out what to do with the irregular Connections.&quot
Maybe they’ll create a Benthic & Summerset card. Maybe they’ll make a Duchess connection item. Maybe all The Masters are made of jam. All of those ideas are probably on the back burner until the 10 remaining regular connections are converted to the Renown & Favours system.
I don’t think they’ll even try to tackle The Master’s connection conversion for quite some time, if ever.