Connected: the Tomb-Colonists rework

[color=#ff9900]Hi all - we wanted to let you know that next week we’ll be converting Connected: The Tomb-Colonies over to the Favours and Renown system. You can learn more about the Favours and Renown system here.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]Because Tomb-Colonists is one of the lesser-used Connected qualities, the conversion of Connected to Renown will be more generous than it was with Connected: the Docks and Connected: Criminals.[/color]

Just so long as it doesn’t keep me from farming Collections of Curiosities.

– Mal

[quote=malthaussen]Just so long as it doesn’t keep me from farming Collections of Curiosities.

– Mal[/quote]
I think you can count on it requiring 1 favour now…

More likely to require some Renown. Connected requirements that are not costs have been mostly changed into Renown so far, yes?

How will this affect being exiled? A lot of actions there gave Connected: Tomb Colonist, so does it mean tht we will get favors for being exiled, or will the connection gain disappear?

Is there any chance that you’ll rework the conversion formula to be more fair to less connected players? I posted this in the Connected: Docks thread, but based on the apparent conversion rates there, there is much more gained from each change point of connected at higher levels when compared to lower levels. That is, the rich get richer. The basic problem is that each additional level of connected over 50 takes the same amount of effort, whereas each level renown takes more effort than the one before it.

I understand if it’s not a high priority for you folks, and there is virtue in having a simple linear scaling between connected and renown, but it was pretty irksome to realize that I could have gotten four times the reward for twice the work had I known the rules ahead of time, and now it incentivizes me to make a mad dash of connection grinding before renown is implemented for the rest of the factions. A more fair system would be to calculate the total change points of connected, convert that to change points of renown, and convert that to levels of renown.

(Sorry if this is overly complainy! I really like the new system both thematically and mechanically. I’m just a little critical of how we get there.)
edited by Guy Scrum on 3/18/2016

[quote=Guy Scrum]Is there any chance that you’ll rework the conversion formula to be more fair to less connected players? I posted this in the Connected: Docks thread, but based on the apparent conversion rates there, there is much more gained from each change point of connected at higher levels when compared to lower levels. That is, the rich get richer. The basic problem is that each additional level of connected over 50 takes the same amount of effort, whereas each level renown takes more effort than the one before it.

I understand if it’s not a high priority for you folks, and there is virtue in having a simple linear scaling between connected and renown, but it was pretty irksome to realize that I could have gotten four times the reward for twice the work had I known the rules ahead of time, and now it incentivizes me to make a mad dash of connection grinding before renown is implemented for the rest of the factions. A more fair system would be to calculate the total change points of connected, convert that to change points of renown, and convert that to levels of renown.

(Sorry if this is overly complainy! I really like the new system both thematically and mechanically. I’m just a little critical of how we get there.)
edited by Guy Scrum on 3/18/2016[/quote]
Beyond 20, what good is renown anyways? None of the others offer anything past that point, save a quirk 12 source.

[quote=Grenem]
Beyond 20, what good is renown anyways? None of the others offer anything past that point, save a quirk 12 source.[/quote]

That’s actually kind of an interesting point and while I understand that maybe the goal is that eventually renown will offer things beyond level 20 to be totally honest. I played for months before I realized that I had no criminal renown at all. Then it took me months to realize that I could even get criminal renown. Then within a week I realized that getting criminal renown was full on a waste of my time entirely and have stopped worrying about it at renown 6. Because here’s how criminal renown works past 5. Have some RNG, get favors. Spend that RNG for renown cps that will allow you to as far as I can tell exchange your rng for more rng for rng. Maybe that RNG will work out in you being able to exchange for mad money. Maybe you will just wait until you hit a can’t discard card and have to spend your hard found rng on something other than what you wanted to.

If the maximum reward for Renown (the profitable card at 20) is reachable by grinding, then it’s not really a concern.

If you really want to compete to have the “most” of the Renown, you should already have lots of that Connection.

It’s not like connected is good for anything beyond a certain point either, but that doesn’t stop people from grinding 10000 Connected: Society. In fact, you could make the same argument about almost any other quality in Fallen London. What’s the point in getting Scholar of the Correspondence to 20? Or 15 notability? Or grinding Master Thief? There’s not even any reason to get more echoes after a certain point — not unless you’re committed to getting the Cider or the Heptagoat, the latter of which has extremely dubious value. Things in Fallen London only have as much value as we’re willing to give them, and some people value connections and renown very highly even if they don’t happen to be connection-rich at the moment.
edited by Guy Scrum on 3/18/2016

You can spend your 10000 Connected: Society to get a swimming pool full of wine. Once that gets reworked the you’ll have just 7 favors and a bunch of truly useless Renown.

[quote=maleclypse]
Because here’s how criminal renown works past 5. Have some RNG, get favors. Spend that RNG for renown cps that will allow you to as far as I can tell exchange your rng for more rng for rng. Maybe that RNG will work out in you being able to exchange for mad money. Maybe you will just wait until you hit a can’t discard card and have to spend your hard found rng on something other than what you wanted to.[/quote]

Actually, I’ll counter and say that’s not true for Criminals. Unlike Docks, there are several purchasable cards which can gain you Criminal:Favours - you can get 6 or 7 cards added to your deck for that purpose. I’ve upped my Renown from 1 to 30 as it was easier to spend the Favours rather than wait to draw an Implausible Pennace. I also the corresponding Steadfast increase.

Docks seems different because I’ve not seen anything beyond changing your connected Pet and some Fate cards to increase your chance of getting Favouts.

I’ll even go so far to say that you’re better off starting with very little connected - the first few levels of Renown come with Favours at the Carnival. My Docks connected was 33 and I only earned Renown 1.
edited by Parelle on 3/19/2016

Can we have the banner in-game mention this? I didn’t check the forums yesterday and now it’s been 20 hours since the announcement. I don’t think players should be expected to check the forums everyday to get this kind of information.

[quote=Grenem]Beyond 20, what good is renown anyways?[/quote]It’s a video game. What good is any of it?
I think people are looking for more out of Fallen London than the best Echoes per Action rate. The ability to have a deep connection with certain factions has its appeal.
Not to mention that just because it’s not readily useful now doesn’t mean it won’t be critically useful later. Or in future storylets.

[quote=Parelle][quote=maleclypse]
Because here’s how criminal renown works past 5. Have some RNG, get favors. Spend that RNG for renown cps that will allow you to as far as I can tell exchange your rng for more rng for rng. Maybe that RNG will work out in you being able to exchange for mad money. Maybe you will just wait until you hit a can’t discard card and have to spend your hard found rng on something other than what you wanted to.[/quote]

Actually, I’ll counter and say that’s not true for Criminals. Unlike Docks, there are several purchasable cards which can gain you Criminal:Favours - you can get 6 or 7 cards added to your deck for that purpose. I’ve upped my Renown from 1 to 30 as it was easier to spend the Favours rather than wait to draw an Implausible Pennace. I also the corresponding Steadfast increase.

Docks seems different because I’ve not seen anything beyond changing your connected Pet and some Fate cards to increase your chance of getting Favouts.

I’ll even go so far to say that you’re better off starting with very little connected - the first few levels of Renown come with Favours at the Carnival. My Docks connected was 33 and I only earned Renown 1.
edited by Parelle on 3/19/2016[/quote]
I do very strongly agree with this. I was hoping we would see more options for getting favor with the decks before they reworked the Tomb Colonies. I feels rather unbalanced at the moment and I was hoping that the overall revamp would balance the factions out more.

We might still see updates and tweaks even after all the main factions have been converted to Renown/Favours. They might just want to get the pieces in place before writing all of the additional content they’d need to get things where they want.

Approximately when should we expect this to hit? I’m busy grinding Tomb Colonist conenctions whenever conflict cards come up to get it back to a semi-respectable number (I have been siding against them lately, because of my Salon’s need for Society…).

I wonder who we will get after this?

[quote=th8827]Approximately when should we expect this to hit? I’m busy grinding Tomb Colonist conenctions whenever conflict cards come up to get it back to a semi-respectable number (I have been siding against them lately, because of my Salon’s need for Society…).

I wonder who we will get after this?[/quote]
Rubbery men, perhaps? Urchins would be interesting, but not optimal. Hell would be odd, but tolerable. Preferably, from a balance standpoint, someone marginal, and on another conflict card.

(I do think a few types should remain connection. The widow, the universities, and the masters all feel more suited to that system. Edge cases, a single individual being the whole organization, and stuff with no cards would not transfer well.)

[quote=Grenem][quote=th8827]Approximately when should we expect this to hit? I’m busy grinding Tomb Colonist conenctions whenever conflict cards come up to get it back to a semi-respectable number (I have been siding against them lately, because of my Salon’s need for Society…).

I wonder who we will get after this?[/quote]
Rubbery men, perhaps? Urchins would be interesting, but not optimal. Hell would be odd, but tolerable. Preferably, from a balance standpoint, someone marginal, and on another conflict card.

(I do think a few types should remain connection. The widow, the universities, and the masters all feel more suited to that system. Edge cases, a single individual being the whole organization, and stuff with no cards would not transfer well.)[/quote]

Constables could be not a ground shaking change.

Hmm… Saya said that more content may be added, so just because those factions are marginal right now does not mean that they will be forever.

The Widow has henchmen. The connection is named after the boss, but it is a large group.

The Duchess has cats, who may need Favors to trade in boxes. It would be nice to see more uses for her connection, too.

The University has two factions. Both sizable. The update may even add a third, post expedition carousel, which would be great.

I hope that the Masters have uncapped Favors.