Connected Criminals

I’ve been trying to get my connected Criminals up to 20 so I can start on the path to getting a Gang of Hoodlums however after going through the Carnival and using the Skeleton Key I’m stuck on 16 with no way to improve. All the opportunities that have been showing up only use up my connected quality. Does anyone know any storylets that can improve it?
I’m a POSI with stats around 100-110 apart from an 125 in Shadowy.

You could go to the Flit and exchange Casing for Connected: Criminals. Also, keep flipping cards, and you’re bound to find a few cards that boost your Criminals connection. I can’t remember what they are off the top of my head, but there are a few… somewhere.

visiting the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer or the Repentant Forger gives some connected criminals.

Raising Connected: Criminals at the Carnival is not (or at least, was not, a week or so ago) capped. This change occurred at the same time all sources of Connected: Criminals were drastically reduced, so I’m not sure whether that was unintentional or as a counterbalance.

Trading Casing for Connected: Criminals is now a horrible trade. (Still good for Constables and Hell, however.)

As far as opportunity cards go, I believe “A merry sort of crime” and “The little people” both give +10 CPs of Connected: Criminals, though I haven’t really been keeping careful track.

[quote=Tesuji]Raising Connected: Criminals at the Carnival is not (or at least, was not, a week or so ago) capped. This change occurred at the same time all sources of Connected: Criminals were drastically reduced, so I’m not sure whether that was unintentional or as a counterbalance.

Trading Casing for Connected: Criminals is now a horrible trade. (Still good for Constables and Hell, however.)

As far as opportunity cards go, I believe “A merry sort of crime” and “The little people” both give +10 CPs of Connected: Criminals, though I haven’t really been keeping careful track.[/quote]

The warning is still posted at the Carnival atop the “sideshows” series of storylets that you cannot use the Carnival storylet to raise your Connected above 10. That includes Criminals. But you’re right–doing the Storylet raised my Connected: Criminals, even though it’s already at 45… interesting.

Maybe submit a bug report for this please?

I submited a bug about Skeleton Key, saying it will raise the connection to 20, but stopping at 15, awhile ago. As for the Carnival… Not sure I want that fixed >_<

Sadly, it appears Connected: Criminals increases at the Carnival no longer allows you to advance past 15.[li]

I desperately want a Gang of Hoodlums as I’m fond of all things Moriarty in seeming. If there are any new means of gaining Criminal without a massive action sink, please let me know. I’m stuck at 16 at the moment.

The conflict cards seem to have been retired too. There used to be a criminals vs. constables one that I used a lot, but I haven’t seen it in a long time. I wonder what the reason behind this change is?

I think it’s now a card you can discard you can draw if both connections are at 50.

I remember fondly the low level card “An opportunity for profit” where buying them a drink would give me a massive +20 CP. For a short while I used that card to get souls from a smuggler’s grave. But despite the wikia not showing a cap, I stopped getting that card. Now I get most of my Connected: Criminals from the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer, and occasional points from other locations. Last time I got +5 CP by picking the pockets of the constable in Pickpocket’s Promenade. I should probably try to get back to jail to build some connections.

The smoky flophouse card raises both criminals and revolutionaries if you help the coughing footpad escape. Occasionally it gives an Aeolian scream instead. I always play it!

Ahh, I’ll have to become an annoyance to Smiling Jack then. By dressing up as a victim I hope, because my Dangerous is much too high for “Get to your quarry before Jack-of-Smiles”.

Plenty of actions in New Newgate helps increase Connected: Criminals.

I’m back in now, and if you go under Prison Life > Observing New Newgate, you should get two change points in criminals and docks, and under Prison Life > Keep Your Nose Clean, you get one cp each. (So long as you don’t go to The Talkative Gaoler > Rat on your fellow inmates, which will cause you to lose all your connected: c)

Red-Bordered Cards that give Connected: C
Blige Duty, Sent to the Treadmill, Start a Brawl

Non-Bordered Cards that give Connected: C
The Warden, The Stuttering Fence > Look After Him,

[li]
edited by Aazyla on 11/25/2013

Wait. Go back to Prison to increase Connected: Criminals…[li]

Why, that’s so elementary it’s…

GENIUS.[/li][li]
[/li][li]…I can’t believe I’m about to go grind Suspicion. ;-)[/li][li]
edited by Miguelmariaduran on 11/26/2013

I’ve been struggling with this one too. Thanks for the tips! :) It’s irritating that you burn some of it when you go on an expedition in the Forgotten Quarter.
edited by Inky Petrel on 11/26/2013

[quote=Aazyla]I’m back in now, and if you go under Prison Life > Observing New Newgate, you should get two change points in criminals and docks, and under Prison Life > Keep Your Nose Clean, you get one cp each[/quote]Eeeh? That doesn’t sound like a lot of CPs per action. If that’s what it’s like I think I’ll stay on the outside and get +5 CP here and +10 CP there, whenever the cards see fit. I mean, I do have other things to grind as well.

(I still need to go to jail to meet the fourth acquaintance, but that can wait until I end up there anyway for some reason.)

&quotAn implausible penance&quot has an option (Bare-knuckle prize fight) that gives you Connected: Criminals rather than reducing it like all the other options on that card. If you &quotTake your chances with the gallery of ruffians and bruisers&quot you’ll avoid Connected: Constables -5 CP, but either way you get Connected: Criminals +5 CP when you succeed.

I use “implausible penance” to convert connected:criminals into souls at a surprisingly profitable rate …

Yeah. I used to do that too, back when I could get Connected: Criminal +20 CP in a single Action, or when I got +1 CP per Action while getting Whispered Secrets from the Topsy King. Since the ‘profitable rate’ is something like 9 pence/CP, even the +10 CP from the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer is just 0.9 Echo. Then again, if you need Souls you can’t simply value them by what they’d be worth if you sold them.

EDIT: And now I drew a card that requires Connected: Criminals 20 and has no cap on how high Shadowy I get to use, so I get a 100% chance to get Connected: Criminals +15 CP. Nice. I might be able to get back to that smuggler’s grave after all.
edited by Gillsing on 11/26/2013