Confident Smiles with capped Persuasive

I’ve just capped on Persuasive - what do I do with Confident Smiles now? I’ve had the habit of always using them up at my Lodgings because you stop getting them beyond a certain cap (usually 11 or so) for the usual social actions. Is there anything else I can do, or am I doomed to wasting them (i.e. not getting more because I have too many already, or just burning them up to get the watchful and shadowy CP - which isn’t much). I feel like a poor little rich kid asking this!

First of all, congrats! I’m trying to max my Persuasive out now and it is an uphill task…

I guess you could use them as second chances for rolls that are difficult even with maxed Persuasive? I don’t know what seducing Slowcake’s Amanuensis does, but that immediately comes to mind for me! I assume there are some Nadir checks that require an immense amount of a stat as well.

You can use 3 of them in the Nadir to get a Searing Enigma if you get the right card (End of Battles).

There’s also a Persuasive 1000 check in the Nadir to get a free Searing Enigma.

Spending 5 of them in your lodgings will give a small bonus to Watchful and Shadowy, if you wanted to use second chances to progress those.
I normally try to keep about 8-10 Confident Smiles on-hand, so that if non-100% actions come up I still have the option to spend second chances.
edited by Kittenpox on 10/22/2015

[quote=Sestina Valdis]First of all, congrats! I’m trying to max my Persuasive out now and it is an uphill task…

I guess you could use them as second chances for rolls that are difficult even with maxed Persuasive? I don’t know what seducing Slowcake’s Amanuensis does, but that immediately comes to mind for me! I assume there are some Nadir checks that require an immense amount of a stat as well.[/quote]

Choosing to Flirt with the Amanuensis gives a boost to your Making Waves (+5), similar to Say nothing. Wait for the Amanuensis to speak instead (+3).
I find it useful if my Notability is below 5, but because of the amount of Persuasive required for good odds I tend to stick with the +3 once it becomes available unless I have second chances prepared.

I think you’re doomed to “wasting them.” The only thing I use Confident Smiles for (aside from the occasional Nadir card) is “Put on a fine show” on the One’s Public card, and that returns two smiles back. These days if I need a social action I tend to use chess matches, as I still need Sudden Insights for Goat actions.

Thanks everyone! A trip to the Nadir is a worthwhile reminder. And while I’d love the thrill of flirting with the Amanuensis, I’m not ready to commit yet as I’m hoping to be a Paramount Presence (ha!).

It’s all good. ^_^ You ain’t really missing out on stuff by not being a Legendary Charisma. It’s just another option to have (which I don’t really use much, because of the ‘bird in the hand, two in the bush’ nature of the probabilities involved. :-p )