Companion Collecting (Ravens, Specifically)

Yes, I see the problem. Not enough bats.[/quote]
I have two battitudes. That’s like ten bats worth of battitude.

lol
I was just being tongue-in-cheek. It’s a fine collection, and I commend you for managing to get some sleep with all the noise about the place.

lol
I was just being tongue-in-cheek. It’s a fine collection, and I commend you for managing to get some sleep with all the noise about the place.[/quote]
You can sleep through anything with enough wine!

Now that I’ve had enough time to go through the thread more thoroughly, I see you’ve got a kitten. Cool! Most of the stuff that comes to mind has already been covered.

The Feast coming up will be a good opportunity to get some. A TON of mine are from there, both gifts and companions you trade gifts in for, and there may even be new ones. If you’ve done the Nadir story yet, you can get a companion that way and upgrade them during the Feast.

A bit of an obscure one is a combination of the rose-bearing maggot and the hamper of heart-cuts.
edited by MidnightVoyager on 1/31/2017

I’m not entirely sure whether I’ll try to get the Midnight Matriarch. On the one hand, I’d love to expand my feline collection; on the other, there’s apparently an unpleasant opportunity card that arises when one has both a Scuttering Squad and a Midnight Matriarch, which I’m eager to avoid.

Also, your companion/house distribution inspired me to work that out with my own creatures and dwellings! A couple of my properties ended up being left empty, so I still have plenty of space.

I second that emotion! MidnightVoyager, that’s an amazing companion collection :0) I’m a little jealous - I don’t even recognize a lot of those! Also, MidnightVoyager, thanks for the Feast of the Rose advice. I’ve participated before, but I didn’t get very involved and now can’t remember how it works. Time for a trip to the wiki!

Truly spoken. I’ve avoided getting mixed up in the Squad myself, so I don’t have to worry about it.

You know I am curious, yes?

Ha! Here’s the property division I’ve settled on:
Cottage by the Observatory - Fitzroy, Fitzhugh, Fitzwilliam, and Elvira (all the rats, who I imagine would appreciate a location in Watchmaker’s hill)
Handsome Townhouse (Orphanage) - Arthur Robin the well-scrubbed urchin; also, a meeting place for my appreciation society is reserved in one of the drawing-rooms.
Lair in the Marshes - the scuttering squad
Rooftop Shack - Lenore, Yetl, and eventually the rest of the ravens.
Smoky Flophouse Dormitory - Igor, the henchman
Rooms above a Bookshop - Imogen the esoteric accomplice and Aristippus the reprehensible lizard. I love the idea that these two formed an unexpected friendship. I can imagine Aristippus perched on Imogen’s shoulder while she jots notes in the margin of some obscure volume of prelapsarian archaeology.
Rooms above a Gambling Den - Arabella the canny costermonger and my weasels, Windermere and Corleone. I think they’d get on well together.
Dripstone-Snared Temple - Vlad and Vespertilio (the bats)
Old Newgate Cellars - Oberon the tomb-lion. I fussed over where to put him for a while, because while I thought he’d be lonely here, he didn’t quite fit in anywhere else, either. I guess I’ll have to acquire him a friend of some sort at some point.
Suite at the Royal Bethlehem (my primary residence - the other properties are more safehouses, storage facilities, and lodgings for my companions than anything else) - the dogs, Leucon and Ciaran; the fish, Anthony and Vincent; Pangur Ban the kitten; and Ludovica the extravagantly-titled tigress. I wanted to put her with Oberon to keep him company, but an extravagantly-titled tigress won’t settle for anything less than my best available lodging. I’m not entirely sure how to expel a tigress from one’s lodgings, so she’s left to pad around the place making the other pets nervous as long as she doesn’t do them any serious harm.

As yet empty: Decommissioned Steamer, Zee-Znail Retreat

Seems nicely thought-out. I commend your thoroughness and creativity.

More confession time. When I moved into my steamer, I looked up plans for old steamers until I found one that made me happy, then plotted out what use Mr. Kan would make of its various spaces. Having set the precedent, when I moved to the townhouse I scoured London until I found an appropriate square, and then - wonder of wonders! - managed to dig up plans for one of the houses that stood there at the Fall. Maybe I spend too much time on this…

Quite right! Even if you managed to shove her off elsewhere, could you imagine the complaining? On the other hand, if she gets too uppity, there’s always tigerskin rug jokes to be made. Just make sure to keep any tiaras of your own out of claw’s reach. ;)
edited by Siankan on 2/1/2017

I’ve been collecting forever. I wouldn’t recommend my exact level of fanaticism for collection, though even I’m not mad enough to try for a heptagoat. But I had to settle on something to work out my masochism on after quitting Seeking!

(Also, if you want to know about any of them, I can point you to the right place)
edited by MidnightVoyager on 2/1/2017

I love how you divvied your companions up between your lodgings, as well as your headcanon about why they go there and how well they all get along. The bit about the extravagantly titled tigress made me giggle :D

I decided all my character’s companions live with him (except for Cheery Man and Mrs. Plenty, because I can’t picture either of them wanting to reside in some random weirdo’s house when they probably have quite comfortable lodgings of their own). He lives in a Znail Zhell and I can’t imagine how LOUD it must be in there. I feel really sorry for the Neurasthenic Assassin. Poor guy must spend all his time curled in a ball with his fingers in his ears.

Then again, it is his own fault. The fact that he wanted to hook up with my character because he had a “soothing voice” when my character constantly screams in all caps shows an appalling lack of judgement :P

Also, I might be mad enough to try for a Heptagoat. Just got my second Overgoat yesterday. Only 12 more to go!

thinks about what she just said and bangs her head on the desk on despair :P

As a companion-collector myself with a bad need to name all my companions in the X, (Descriptive) (Title) format, I feel your pain and your joy. My rag-tag band of revolutionaries and beasts are too big to list in one go, but the one I am most proud of is also my most pointless and least ‘canon’:

As far as collecting companions goes, let me also say that (in addition to the Rose Feast) to be watchful for a future Mayoral Election sometime in the summer (northern hemisphere) as the 2015 one had several unique companions depending on which candidate you backed (as well as a neutral companion) - all but the first (if you chose a companion) were Fate-purchased only and required switching between candidates. No idea whether or not previous companions will be available for purchase in future elections, so make sure and snap them up if it doesn’t look like they will be! I didn’t get the caricature artist myself, but I was pretty happy picking up Aj Tenamit Itzamatul, Copper Republican (Reactionary Tomb-Colonist), Madame Elizabeth, Militant Suffragist (Redoubtable Dame-Harbinger), and Sister Aziza, Unfettered Reformer (Enfranchised Anchoress).
edited by Hotshot Blackburn on 2/1/2017

You aren’t kidding. Say, if we ever get together for chess or something, why don’t we do it my place? Or in a nice park? Or at least not in the Zhell?

It would still be pretty loud. Flesh-Stick has no indoor voice :P

There’s a reason I don’t take most of my companions with me when making social calls. Landy, to hold my cane (and because he’s worse than Sam Gamgee). Ondine, if I need a touch of class (or to look like I’m taken). Maybe Brother Justin if I need to look that extra bit intimidating, or one of the birds if I need an unobtrusive pair of eyes. Other than that, they stay home.

(Can you imagine the disaster if I took Polonius with me? At Christmas I had to have one of the servants give him a dish of treacle to glue his jaws shut. Algernon looked about to kill him, and murder is always impolite at the dinner table, except between the last course and dessert.)

My collection isn’t as impressive as the MidnightVoyager’s, as I’ve been playing for just a little over two years, but I’m quite proud of it. I don’t have many of the Hallowmas companions because I wasn’t playing much at that time (and was short of echoes to replace the upgraded companions). It’s also missing the new Feast companions because I haven’t drawn the d___ed card yet.

As for their names: the only one that has a name is the ocelot (&quotSheba&quot) because I’ve grown quite attached to it. I’ve always imagined that they are all cluttered in Rowan’s room at the Royal Beth. They share the room with every single one of them. Maybe that’s why Rowan is there in the first place.
edited by otachi on 2/15/2017
edited by otachi on 2/15/2017

Sounds like nobody can ever get a moment’s peace around there :P

My character’s pets all sleep in his room, but the humans have their own rooms, although some of them have to share. There’s one room for men, one for women, one for urchins, one for people with unknown genders (hope the Cat’s Chiefest Claw has learned some rubberyspeak so they don’t get too lonely :P ), one for Devils (it’s the room in the znail zhell that originally housed the snail’s butt, because Fleshy hates devils), one for the Firebrand (because the boss being in love with you always gets you special privileges :P ), a guest room in case Cheeryman or Mrs. Plenty want to visit, and an old dog bed down in the basement for the former Provost of Summerset because he’s a very stupid man who actually thought going home during the last Feast with the guy whose career he ruined was a good idea.

Nobody in London knows what happened to him. I like to think nobody cares either :)

I know I’m late, but here’s my two cents: I plan on naming all my ravens (once I get them, I’m kinda new to FL) after characters from Plato’s dialogues.

• the shadowy ones will be (from least to most shadowy): Protagoras, Gorgias and Thrasymacus

• the watchful ones will be (same order): Phaedrus, Timaeus and Parmenides

• I called the dazed raven advisor Ion

I also named my Scuttering Squad I Malebranche, because I could.

Lastly, I have been searching for a name for my chatty rat for a long while now, but I couldn’t decide on one. After seening Siankan brilliant reference, I decided to name him Falstaff (maybe it’s not as witty, but I find it fitting).

I just want it to be stated that I approve of this scheme.

Also, you have now given me a brilliant idea for what to do if the talkative rat gets too loud. I just need a laundry basket…

I just want it to be stated that I approve of this scheme.

Also, you have now given me a brilliant idea for what to do if the talkative rat gets too loud. I just need a laundry basket…[/quote]

I’m glad you approve, and I’m also glad I gave you such a wonderful idea: that kind of rat can be quite bothersome at times.

Is it a problem if I play with my parabolan kitten regularly even though I don’t have a SS account? :D

[li]
Not at all! I find there’s nothing so enjoyable as playing with my Pangur Ban when I pop back into my suite at the Beth.