Claymen Discussion.

A thread for the clay men of London. Can claymen die and meet the boatman? Can claywomen exsist? Can they have kids with humans? How much claymen live in london? will claymen go extinct if the king runs out of heart shards?

There is a card where you are on the Underzee about dealing with a Clay Stowaway, that talks about the water during brown if you throw him over the side, which makes me think that at least part of him dissolved. I find it hard to believe it would survive that, and wonder what shape it would be in if it did.

Clayman can die, as you see near the end of the Watchmaker’s Hill section. Marshwolves kill Clayman lost in the bog and Jack-of-Smiles is killing Claymen before you put him down. I do not believe they can meet the Boatman based on the fact [color=#FFFFFF]they most likely share the soul of the King of A Hundred Hearts[/color].

I think the main question isn’t whether they can die, but whether they can - erm - come back, unlike rats, for example. While considerably larger than rats, they probably lack any internal organ or such, and the only thing giving them life is SPOILER[color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]a shard of the heart of the King with a Hundred Hearts[/color]SPOILER, but that doesn’t help much with regards to what happens when they’re damaged beyond any possibility of functioning again (that is - dying). I think the only sure way to tell what happens is to hear from somebody who actually played one.

You can’t die if you play as a clay man in the Easter Egg. (I think. I know I played a clay man, and had my Wounds go well above 8 without any state change.)

Presumably this is because the Easter Egg is just that–a minigame, rather than a true extension of the game–and it’s definite canon that dying results in your returning to life elsewhere, which would allow a Clay Man to escape into London proper.

I don’t think this is necessarily reflective of any canon or deep secrets regarding Clay Men, though.
edited by Jack Vaux-Harrowden on 5/21/2012

[quote=Jack Vaux-Harrowden]You can’t die if you play as a clay man in the Easter Egg. (I think. I know I played a clay man, and had my Wounds go well above 8 without any state change.)

Presumably this is because the Easter Egg is just that–a minigame, rather than a true extension of the game–and it’s definite canon that dying results in your returning to life elsewhere, which would allow a Clay Man to escape into London proper.

I don’t think this is necessarily reflective of any canon or deep secrets regarding Clay Men, though.
edited by Jack Vaux-Harrowden on 5/21/2012[/quote]

You can play as a Clay Man? How do you do that?

[quote=Twoflower][quote=Jack Vaux-Harrowden]You can’t die if you play as a clay man in the Easter Egg. (I think. I know I played a clay man, and had my Wounds go well above 8 without any state change.)

You can play as a Clay Man? How do you do that?[/quote]

Start a new account, and–

…huh. Has it been removed? I know that there used to be [color=#ffffff]a small but incongruous dash near “May we ask whether you’re a lady or a gentleman?” that, when clicked, sent you to[/color] the Clay Man character creation screen. But I can’t seem to find it now.

http://blog.failbettergames.com/post/I-AM-CLAY.aspx The official comment on the matter.

Well, I can confirm that my Clay Man account still exists; I can also confirm that with “Wounds 9–The Spirit Has Departed!” I’m still around to INSULT THE FOREMAN and GROW TIRED OF CARRYING BOXES and USE CAPITAL LETTERS.
edited by Jack Vaux-Harrowden on 5/21/2012

[quote=Jack Vaux-Harrowden][quote=Twoflower][quote=Jack Vaux-Harrowden]You can’t die if you play as a clay man in the Easter Egg. (I think. I know I played a clay man, and had my Wounds go well above 8 without any state change.)

You can play as a Clay Man? How do you do that?[/quote]

Start a new account, and–

…huh. Has it been removed? I know that there used to be [color=#ffffff]a small but incongruous dash near “May we ask whether you’re a lady or a gentleman?” that, when clicked, sent you to[/color] the Clay Man character creation screen. But I can’t seem to find it now.

http://blog.failbettergames.com/post/I-AM-CLAY.aspx The official comment on the matter.

Well, I can confirm that my Clay Man account still exists; I can also confirm that with “Wounds 9–The Spirit Has Departed!” I’m still around to INSULT THE FOREMAN and GROW TIRED OF CARRYING BOXES and USE CAPITAL LETTERS.

It’s been removed? Aww.

A horrible bump…

I read about the easter egg elsewhere, this topic comes up from googling for info, but the official comment is also gone.

Does anybody remember?

So, are there any still being played?

[quote=Ben ]… but the official comment is also gone.[/quote]Ahh, there we go. They changed it to lower case. Very tricky. But Google finds all.

Google failed me, but you are a champion. Now this thread slides back under the waves.

Well, you can’t create a Clay Man character anymore, per se, but the minigame hasn’t been nuked from Fallen London entirely…

So, you’re still going to have a chance to try it, but no one’s going to tell you how to get there, and you’re probably only going to find it by accident when you start reaching endgame. But it’s there.

It’s a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a–well, you get the point.

Eh, to be fair you’re not likely to find it without knowing about the storyline to begin with.

It is, indeed, an enigma… But you don’t need to wait for endgame to pursue it.

This thread is very pertinent to me because I only just reached those Clay Man storylets. They’re seriously heartbreaking… I’m not going to be able to go back to the rest of Fallen London happily. And I’m not sure if it would be compassionate to employ two Clay Men to bear my sedan or not.
edited by Jenny Yang on 10/2/2014

way to keep it subtle ;)

[li]

An antique mystery wrapped in a searing enigma, thank you very much.

[quote=Jenny Yang]This thread is very pertinent to me because I only just reached those Clay Man storylets. They’re seriously heartbreaking… I’m not going to be able to go back to the rest of Fallen London happily. And I’m not sure if it would be compassionate to employ two Clay Men to bear my sedan or not.
edited by Jenny Yang on 10/2/2014[/quote]

Real good metaphor for dealing with imperialism when you yourself benefit from the system. The Clay Men are so wonderful

so its a trade secret?