Choose My Doom

My conviction falters. I have been zailing for over a year. The next button I click has the chance to end it all. Help me decide how the zee should take me.

And pray for me, red and glistening siblings.

Maybe just… go to port? Or would that not be in the spirit of things :)

There’s a chance I survive these demons, each time I face them. Suffocating on dry land admits sure defeat.

This is how Captain Nemo bought it. I always thought it a cop-out that he escaped the Maelstrom and died of old age.

I vote for Drownies:[i]

Come follow us, and smile as we;
We sail to the rock in the ancient waves,
Where the snow falls by thousands into the sea,
And the drowned and the shipwrecked have happy graves.[/i]

Follow the sirens wherever they may lead, I say.

Quitter :P

I vote for leviathan. It would be a suitable ending for a zailor and intrepid exlorer:

Let us sing of another brave nautical soul:

"Albert stood at the stern of his ship
A giant octopus had him in its grip
A vortex of spiraling death below ripped
and sharks and electric eels all made the trip
to see Albert
sink to the bottom of the sea

Just before he went down
he called out to his crew
It’s obvious that my time has come
I’ll let this ending ensue
I’ve led an exciting nautical life it would seem
and there’s no better end than a death by the sea
His crew sang

Captain Albert Alexander
He went down in the sea
But that Captain Albert Alexander
He’ll go down in history"

[quote=SeveredJoke]I vote for leviathan. It would be a suitable ending for a zailor and intrepid exlorer:

Let us sing of another brave nautical soul:

&quotAlbert stood at the stern of his ship
A giant octopus had him in its grip
A vortex of spiraling death below ripped
and sharks and electric eels all made the trip
to see Albert
sink to the bottom of the sea

Just before he went down
he called out to his crew
It’s obvious that my time has come
I’ll let this ending ensue
I’ve led an exciting nautical life it would seem
and there’s no better end than a death by the sea
His crew sang

Captain Albert Alexander
He went down in the sea
But that Captain Albert Alexander
He’ll go down in history&quot[/quote]

Your preference is what it is, but I have no desire to be anything’s lunch. It’s the Drownies for me!

Join the great Leviathan, and make Thomas Hobbes proud.

It may be old-fashioned, but many an intrepid zailor died at the hand of starvation. Join in that band of the malnourished, and sink yourself without the strange phantasms of leviathan or Drownie… Real Zailors Die Hungry.

A real zailor eats their crew. It’s the tagline for a reason :P

&quotThe song is vast and melancholy. It tells of brotherhood and comfort in the cold depths.

No! They will surge up from the water and they will come for me! And I will let them! I cover my ears and open the throttle so hard the lever breaks off. They will not have me!&quot

AHAHAHAHA!

The choice, however, looms again almost immediately. I don’t want to spam the forums by creating another poll, but as I steel myself for another harrowing click, weigh in on whether I should be:

— fascinated once more by the Drownies’ call (what old hat)

— swallowed by a leviathan (petulant at its second place finish in the voting booths)

— incinerated by the volcanic cough of the Stone Pigs (New! Improved! Porcine!)

What better way to honor the Unterzee than to offer yourself to its greatest beast?

pigs pigs pigs

pigs pigs pigs

pigs

Leviathan.

The volcanoes will fill the Zee! AND SO YOU SHALL ZAIL ON THE LAND!

(The whole &quotblot out the sun/fight in the shade&quot thing doesn’t work underground)

[quote=Teaspoon]pigs pigs pigs

pigs pigs pigs

pigs[/quote]

Around the turn of the C19, many people would have supposed a ‘stone pig’ was actually a very large hot water bottle. Like so:

In spite of the assurances that the cork cannot possibly come out and cause the pig to wreak mayhem, I have serious doubts.

[quote=Vexpont][quote=Teaspoon]pigs pigs pigs

pigs pigs pigs

pigs[/quote]

Around the turn of the C19, many people would have supposed a ‘stone pig’ was actually a very large hot water bottle. Like so:

In spite of the assurances that the cork cannot possibly come out and cause the pig to wreak mayhem, I have serious doubts.[/quote]

It appears, then, that Failbetter has played a little joke on those of us not familiar with this old usage by naming those nemeses of the Neath &quotStone Pigs.&quot :-)

Perhaps the Bazaar is feeling a bit ill.