Changes to Theological Husbandry

[color=#C2B280]This week, we’ve significantly tweaked beast-breeding in the Labyrinth of Tigers. A summary of the changes:

[ol][li]The rewards have, in most cases, been substantially increased.[/li]
[li]The rewards have been greatly diversified. The number of different items which can be acquired by breeding has been increased from seven to over 20. Some of these are moderately inconvenient to acquire in other ways.[/li]
[li]New branches have been added to some of the beast-acquisition storylets.[/li]
[li]Acquiring some of the beast has become a little more challenging; in particular, anyone who wishes to capture a Plated Seal should be prepared to brave the full fury of the Unterzee. No longer will they be found splashing merrily in the estuary of the Stolen River.[/li][/ol]
Why have we done this? Partly because we’d like to provide ways for players to diversify their grinds. And partly because there are roughly sixty distinct results from breeding beasts. Some are very funny; some contain clues no one seems to have noticed; and every single one is interesting and entertaining and full of the Bishop of Southwark, who is, like, awesome. We’d like to encourage players to explore them some more.

In most cases, the rewards have been balanced so that, if you’re in Flute Street or the Tomb-Colonies or on a sea voyage, capturing and breeding a beast will be extremely profitable. But in most cases, leaving London solely to capture a beast will provide low to middling rewards: we didn’t want to incentivise narratively incongruous behaviour, like deliberately grinding Scandal to take advantage of an efficient grind.[/color]

Good to know! I admit, I adored all the results text, but I don’t think I ran any of the paths much more than once… so all I can really remember is something about heating bills and something untoward happening in Dublin.

(Also, I just went to capture a Hyaena but found I needed Nightmares so I went to the Forgotten Quarter and long story short does anyone need an Eyeless Skull?)

hyenas need nightmares now? that’s not fair. i thought theolog.husbandry has been nerfed enough with the changes to tomb-colonies. and the unterzee is already time/actions wasting enough. having a swift ship allows you to return faster but would give you cards you don’t need while looking for the seal!

in any case, i still want to keep a flame-breathing lobster.

I think the point was more to make the beasts difficult to acquire so the rewards could be more fulfilling than to nerf anything, to be honest. If a hyena is trivial to obtain, you can’t really give anything but trivial rewards for obtaining one. I’m not actually certain as to the magnitude of the reward improvements, but at the very least the whole business should be a more viable source of items; 20 different items is a lot more versatile for 7, and certain items possess value above their sale value because of their rarity. I’m pretty sure this is entirely intended to be a buff, not a nerf.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 3/13/2014

So, the second region of Neathy Pokemon has been reached? Geuss its time to go back to breeding them all XD

The Hyaena now gives 80 Memories of distant shores (with Pulling out the stops).

I echoed the text in my journal, I don’t remember if it has changed.

They increased the reward levels though, presumably to match the action cost for the Tombs and Flute Street.

Since they increased the rewards in general, they had to make the cost for obtaining the Hyena and Plated Seal higher.

Can’t say I have ever had an issue with obtaining nightmares, more the opposite problem really.
edited by Endy on 3/13/2014

Did anyone else notice the 5th coil of the labyrinth is mentioned? It’s locked with Making Progress in the Labyrinth of tigers 20. I’m very excited that the story is continuing. [li]

How many base beasts for breeding are there again? I think its 4 if you can get the one within one of the fate-locked areas

yep, 4 beasts. Pulling out the stops for the tomb-lion I had laying around dropped 18 An Identity Uncovered.

The rewards are greatly increased, and this is awesome. Breeding is funny, and a nice bonus to the various interesting trips.

Now we have to discover how to get to progress 20!!!

So … more items, but not more beasts? {Clarification request, not complaint.} I don’t need to panic that my collection is incomplete and begin a breeding frenzy? I can leisurely explore?
edited by babelfishwars on 3/13/2014

I’m pretty sure the 5th coil option locked with progress 20 is nothing new. It’s been there for as long as I can remember.

[quote=babelfishwars]So … more items, but not more beasts? {Clarification request, not complaint.} I don’t need to panic that my collection is incomplete and begin a breeding frenzy? I can leisurely explore?[/quote][color=#C2B280]Indeed, none of the new rewards are unique items – they’re all things which can already be amassed in quantity, though not always conveniently.

No larger additions to the Labyrinth are imminent. There are a few extra branches on some of the beast acquisition storylets, but that’s it. Alexis is hugely busy just now with getting things ready for the Sunless Sea beta.[/color]

I’ve started a google doc to track all the options for those who wish to contribute or watch from the sidelines. As also, spoilers will be contained behind this link: Beast Breeding - Google Sheets

If you would like to add something, leave a comment or PM me here.

Pulling out the stops for a plated seal and failing just got me the one hound, that’s it. Doesn’t seem to have changed the text about spotting the devil nun.

Has anyone seen if you get a better reward than a Cellar of Wine for giving the Hound to the Bishop?

[quote=Myke Harryson]I’ve started a google doc to track all the options for those who wish to contribute or watch from the sidelines. As also, spoilers will be contained behind this link: Beast Breeding - Google Sheets

If you would like to add something, leave a comment or PM me here.[/quote]
The Hyaena now gives 80 Memories of distant shores if you are fortunate, with all three.
The Hyaena gives 8 extraordinary implications if only Devils are cast out, if fortunate.

By the way, is it true that the Owl is given from the rubbery hound? I remembered you needed all four animals to create a bifurcated owl…
edited by Master Polarimini on 3/13/2014

I think I was misremembering about the hound -> owl. I remembered you needed it, but I forgot to needed the others with it.

All other entries have been moved into the table[li]
edited by Myke Harryson on 3/13/2014

Hyaena with mushrooms only: 27 Absinthe on failure