Certifiable Scraps, their uses, and how to get em?

Greetings fellow Fallen Londeners!

So, I have seen quite a few mentions of certifiable scraps, a few cards with them, and a few bits on how they are tired to houses. I thought it would be nice to collect some, so what are some good uses for them, and how best to get them, since while I have seen some mention houses in regard to getting them there does not appear to be a option for it, unless it is on a card in the house.

You purchase keys from the Bazaar to various sort of lodgings, and these unlock cards specific to those lodgings. These cards are where you obtain the Certifiable Scraps. There’s also a card drawn only in the Flit that lets you call in favours with the Urchins to gain some scraps, a very specific Bundle of Oddities value (not really worth trying for, but a nice bonus if you happen to get it), and you can also try recertifying them with the Relickers if you don’t mind risking your collected scraps.

They are used to claim a prize from the Relickers dependent on which one you are speaking to and how many you are handing over. There are a few items you can only get through the Relickers, so it’s worth collecting them. Not all of the items have a use at the moment, however, so you might want to hold onto the scraps until you need one of those items.

It’s worth mentioning that the high end items trade for a few thousand scraps, so it takes quite some time to collect enough. The sooner you start the better though!

Also, you can get them from the luck challenge on the card you can draw if you own a sulky bat, and even if you fail you get some great game connections.

I was tempted into a wander through the wiki, and I indeed saw the options that cost thousands… with undocumented items on some of them.

I wouldn’t say that it’s never been gotten, but rarely recorded it seems.

When this company puts in room for future content, they do it nicely.

All the items have been gotten, now, but there’s not many of them.

You can get one of the Reported Location of a One Time Prince of Hell, scrap of Ivory Organza, and the Starstone Demark by selling the location of the Cave of the Nadir also.

Unless you are a card-flipper, the hefty 3200 scrap needed for the premium rare items are probably forever out of your reach.

I know this thread is old and I think the lore of scraps has changed. Mostly you get them through lodgings, yes? But I am hopelessly perplexed about one matter and so seek advice: What does it do for you when you recertify your scraps? You can do that with the relickers but I cannot figure out what you gain. Thoughts? Answers?

Thanks so much.

H.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hepzibah~Gordon~

[quote=shapjul]I know this thread is old and I think the lore of scraps has changed. Mostly you get them through lodgings, yes? But I am hopelessly perplexed about one matter and so seek advice: What does it do for you when you recertify your scraps? You can do that with the relickers but I cannot figure out what you gain. Thoughts? Answers?

Thanks so much.

H.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hepzibah~Gordon~[/quote]

When you recertify scraps you gamble with them. If you’re lucky you get an amount equal to what you’ve wagered and if you’re unlucky you lose most them. I’ve found that it’s generally not worth it.

[quote=shapjul]I know this thread is old and I think the lore of scraps has changed. Mostly you get them through lodgings, yes? But I am hopelessly perplexed about one matter and so seek advice: What does it do for you when you recertify your scraps? You can do that with the relickers but I cannot figure out what you gain. Thoughts? Answers?

Thanks so much.

H.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hepzibah~Gordon~[/quote]
Re-cirtifying your scraps gambles the scraps labled. It offers an average payout of 1 scrap per time- you always win in the long run, but you might lose in the short term. doing batches of 20 is better if you believe you have exceptional luck, but otherwise if you are going to do it, you should do batches of 10- the losses and gains are both reduced, but the payout in the long run is the same.

alternately, you might not want to gamble with them, which is valid.

Aha! Thanks so much.

I think someone else in the forum has advised only gambling on scraps when you have a cushion of at least 1000. Otherwise the risk is that you run out before the RNG turns back in your favour.

I believe that the option to gamble 10 scraps is only available with certain values of Airs. The option to gamble just a couple scraps has an expected gain of 0.5 scraps per action as opposed to the 10 and 20 scrap gambles’ expected 1 scrap per action.

And yes, without a few hundred scraps minimum, gambling on the higher option may very well use up all your scraps through just a few unlucky outcomes in a row, leaving you without any scraps to gamble to make progress when the cards show up.
edited by Optimatum on 12/17/2015