Censorship in Sunless Skies

[quote=Chris Gardiner]…[color=#FF9900] Here, I was trying to establish something about the Veteran’s character, so I’ve now revised it to a line that does a better job of this. The change should appear in a future update.[/color]
edited by babelfishwars on 8/31/2017[/quote]

And this kind of attitude is just one reason we love FBG.

I can’t help but question your priorities. Of all the complaints about the early access version here on forums, some of them rather serious in terms of how they affect gameplay, this is the one that gets a personal insight and promise of the issue being adressed from a dev? A slightly exotic (and utterly irrelevant in the larger scope of things) profanity?

I’m a writer, not a programmer or artist, with easy access to our content system and an understanding of this particular content which took 10 seconds to fix. So this hasn’t affected our other work at all.

This may be the only thing on the forums which has gotten a developer response so far, but that doesn’t mean it’s the only thing they’re aware of. Early Access has only been open for a single day so far. It’s best for everyone if the Failbetter team gives consistent and reliable information, which means taking the time to settle on a definite answer before publically addressing a concern. Some decisions take longer than others. I for one am glad to see that the developers are already listening to what we have to say. Thank you, Chris Gardiner! And thank you, Failbetter Games!

[color=#FF9900]Yes, we have had dedicated people combing, collating and sorting player feedback (from a wide variety of channels) all day.

The main reason I responded to this particular thread was the censorship concern. I’ve seen it elsewhere and it always surprises me. It’s something I could answer straight away, and doing so means our community will now be answer other queries about it. And when our community starts doing that, it saves us dev time.[/color]
edited by babelfishwars on 8/31/2017

I personally feel that this is ultimately a non-issue in regards to censorship (the concerns of people who are unaware of the actual word is reasonable though).

The act of self-censorship was prolific in the Victorian era, and plays an important theme in Fallen London. This is a setting where an entire branch of the government is dedicated towards public decency and the censorship of material that threatens to cause trouble in society.

that’s fair, I’ve been labouring under an incorrect assumption that you’re representing the whole dev team rather than only the writerly part, so that it came off to me as failbetter braiding the mane while the entire horse is dying. I’m glad it is not so, and will exercise patience waiting for the other issues to be adressed in their due time

Thank you all very kindly for your thoughtful feedback. I love it when disagreements can be engaged and opinions reformed through education. I was not aware of that habit in that era’s writing, now I am. Thanks much to Chris Gardiner for addressing it, and I have tons of confidence in FBG to make an outstanding sequel to S’Seas. I had the intention of playing for about half an hour last night, just get a feel for the game, and writing had me hooked for 9 hours! So you guys are definitely on the right track.

I think FL censors swears in a way that never felt like censorship- it was a part of the atmosphere, and acting like a proper Brit. But some don’t mind or want it, so I think it should be optional.

Also, the censorship of names was again, part of the atmosphere. (Even if I’m not a Brit)

I do remember I spent almost half of my game experience wondering what L.B. meant.
edited by Ixc on 8/31/2017

glad to see a developer response on this. i guess the censoring isnt a big deal