Can't get Jack's Gone?

I’ve played through the Fate-locked bits of the Jack-of-Smiles case. It’s been a while, but I have a vague recollection that it ends with enough finality. Poking at the wiki, it seems that it mostly adds a few detours but rejoins the unlocked storyline at some point. So it seems that one of the detours skips the step where Jack is acknowledged as gone for.

This seems somewhat wrong to me, but I might be remembering the details of the story wrong, or be overly OCD about this one quality :) So is this how that storyline is supposed to work because Reasons, or an actual minor bug?
(First time poster, so apologies if I broke any rules w/r/t fate-locked content. Going by some other posts, I figured talking about it in very general terms is okay

If you went to Polythreme, and finished the story there, then you had a choice that could let you finish Jack’s story, but let him roam free still. So you either haven’t finished the story, since it continues after the fate-locked part, or just let Jack off the hook.

The very end has another Fate-locked choice (unrelated to the earlier one) that will get rid of Jack for good.

You can also get rid of him without spending Fate, but I believe you then get a less valuable reward.

[quote=Ian Hart]The very end has another Fate-locked choice (unrelated to the earlier one) that will get rid of Jack for good.

You can also get rid of him without spending Fate, but I believe you then get a less valuable reward.[/quote]
Unless the path you’re refering to is one behind the fate-locked one, the reward vaue is the same, but you don’t get to discover who made jack.
edited by Grenem on 10/3/2015
edited by Grenem on 10/3/2015

Thanks, everyone. I took the choice where I ended up meeting Mr. Spices. Not like me to not take a fate-locked option, but I guess curiosity got the better of me this one time. If this path is meant to end up with Jack remaining at-large, I’ll take your word for it.