Can't access Empress Court

I don’t know if I’ve been banished or not when Failbetter revamped the Persuasive System and I barely paid attention at the time (as I was focusing on other things). Nothing in my big list of things I have a big list says &quotBanished from the court&quot so I’m assuming I can go there.

But I go to the Shuttered Palace and all I can do is trade favours or go to the rose garden. Does that mean I’ve been banished and in such a way I can’t even access the foreign office? Because only recently have I heard that going to the palace would make reducing menaces much easier.

I’m a Significant Individual and my persuasive is above 85. So what? I’ve been banished?

[quote=stylesrj]I don’t know if I’ve been banished or not when Failbetter revamped the Persuasive System and I barely paid attention at the time (as I was focusing on other things). Nothing in my big list of things I have a big list says &quotBanished from the court&quot so I’m assuming I can go there.

But I go to the Shuttered Palace and all I can do is trade favours or go to the rose garden. Does that mean I’ve been banished and in such a way I can’t even access the foreign office? Because only recently have I heard that going to the palace would make reducing menaces much easier.

I’m a Significant Individual and my persuasive is above 85. So what? I’ve been banished?[/quote]

If you are banished, you should have &quotBanished from the Court - Mad, bad, dangerous to know&quot under your Accomplishments on your &quotMyself&quot tab.
What is your &quotName Signed With A Flourish&quot level?

I guess Level 2 isn’t enough with the revamped system?

Nope, you need A Name Signed with a Flourish 5 to spend a few days in the Empress’ Court! You need to write some short stories to advance your A Name Signed with a Flourish quality. After that, work on getting Darling of the Ambassador’s Ball. (I might be wrong on that front, since I don’t fully remember how to advance that quality, but I know that those options are at least unlocked at 2 and 3…) You can investigate further here: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/A_Name_Signed_with_a_Flourish
edited by KShep on 12/23/2015

When you write the Short Story be sure to select the Make Your Name option available at Potential 40 - there are other stories available to publish, but they won’t help.

I guess there’s a lot more to getting into the court, because a few months ago I was able to just walk in after trading favours (or at least I could see I could enter and realise I didn’t have anything to trade in).

Thanks for the help! I guess I’ll have to tank through Wilmont’s End for my Whirring Contraptions
edited by stylesrj on 12/23/2015

I’m only 4 Whirring Contraptions off from the Zubmarine (and many spyglasses away but that’ll be later). I thought if I could use the Court to reduce my menaces while getting those Contraptions I’d be golden.

Does the Empress’ Court make it easier to get the obs diamonds needed for spyglasses as well?

No, the Court shall not provide Ostentatious Diamonds for the Bejewelled Lenses. You can get those through a number of sources. I would recommend running through Thief’s Cache expeditions if you need the Magnificent Diamonds, and if you’re still low on Ostentatious Diamonds you could get them through the Bazaar Side-streets for Cryptic Clues.

If you don’t mind waiting on cards then utilizing your Criminal Favours through the Knight of the Underworld option on an implausible penance is pretty nice - 10 Ostentatious Diamonds (and 20 Flawed Diamonds) for 3 Favours, and Pugilism and Politics gives out 1-2 Magnificent Diamonds and 3 Ostentatious Diamonds.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/24/2015

I’ll just focus on the contraptions for now, then I’ll work on the novels and stuff to get there. Because that looks like it’ll take several days to get to. I can probably get the last 3 contraptions in that time instead.
edited by stylesrj on 12/24/2015
edited by stylesrj on 12/24/2015

Perhaps this might be a helpful guide for where to go next, if you’re stuck:
(Hint: start from the bottom and work your way up)