Can you get your soul back without paying fate?

So after finding I had another FL account (not the one linked in my signature, a different one), I fully intended to make this one go NORTH all the way. But it seems that I already sold the soul on it (and you need the soul to stain it), but as I’m planning to make this account go NORTH (i.e. remove it from normal gameplay completely), I’m somewhat reluctant to buy fate just to get the soul back. I heard of some sort of non-fate locked way to get a soul back but I’m not sure what it is. Could anyone help out?
edited by SassmasterMaxie on 3/16/2019

You can get your soul back without Fate, but only on a rare chance on opening a Surprise box or bundles of oddities. I’ve heard people use the card “one’s public” or robbing ships at zee to try to get their soul back, but it is all luck I’m afraid

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Copy+paste from an old reply:
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Now, RNG is the only part of it, but there’s [/color]One’s Public[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)], [/color]Hoist the black flag from Zee[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)], [/color]exchanging packages with other players[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)], [/color]An unsigned message[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)], [/color]The Bonfire of the Decencies[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] (rare Wolfstack Docks card with odds are against you challenge), [/color]Wolfstack in the fog
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)](multiple options from Crying his wares) which has options for 300, 400, 500 bundle value, but check the required ware to sell, [/color]Veilgarden rare card[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] (it could go either way challenge), there were claims that [/color]The student body[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] is (was?) up to 204, but many attempts prove otherwise, [/color]Trade favours with urchins[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] in Flit (but you give up the option for 28.8 E).[/color]

Thanks for your help! Hopefully I can keep grinding to get the soul back on it eventually!

A little more information on some of the options, copied from an old private conversation:

[spoiler]I’ve started sending packages your way. With luck, one of them might contain a soul for you. Eventually.
Percentage-wise (and it’s still only 1/2% per package) the best bet is speaking to the crowd on the One’s Public card.

#2: Drawing cards in the Flit can get you the Call in Favours card, which will let you turn 3 Urchin Favours into a package, with only a slightly worse percentage.

#3: If you don’t have Urchin Favours, drawing cards at Wolfstack can get the Wolfstack in the Fog card. Choosing Crying His Wares will lead you to the Ragman’s Barge, where you can trade in items for a package. Fourth City Rags are the best (having a max value of 300), but any option but the gown will get you a Bundle of Oddities.

If you’re super-lucky, you can also draw the Bonfire of the Decencies card at Wolfstack. Its max Bundle value is as high as a package from moi, which would be great if you weren’t trying to get your soul back. (1/10% chance per)

#4. If you don’t have anything to trade to the Ragman or the Urchins, flip cards in Veilgarden. The rare card The Velocipede Squad Races By will get you a Bundle of Oddities with a max value of 800, or 1/8% chance to get your soul back. Still not amazing, of course, but better than Bonfire chances.

I didn’t really mean this to be a &quotHow to Get Your Soul Back&quot primer, but here we are.[/spoiler]

If opening surprise packages might help along then feel free to send them!

The link to the profile is here: Fallen London

Those Engines don’t Sound Healthy / Hoist the Black Flag out at zee also offers a bundle up to 300, so another soul recover option.

But FYI, all of those require you to get quite lucky - you might go a very, very long time and never get your soul back. It’s at best a 1/200 chance per bundle of oddities, so its quite possible to open hundreds of boxes and never get it back. (And that 1/200 is for the best possible grind, other sources of bundles of oddities are even worse odds.)

It took me about 5 months to get my soul back through RNG (After losing on the first roll of Intimate of Devils…) to give some perspective.

I cant get my soul back for more than 1.5 years. I never grinded it directly, but there were (and would be) thousands One’s Publics, Surprise Packages and Zee piracy performed with no luck yet.
It also blocks my SMEN, which is little frustrating.
edited by Waterpls on 3/28/2019

I have lost and regained my soul 9 times without paying fate. Most of the time was through the One’s Public card, once by piracy at zee. It is very much at the whim of the RNG - I’ve regained it within a week once, and have gone almost two years soulless. Needless to say, I’ve been playing for a while!

I remember you getting it back 3 times in less than 1-2 months if I remember correctly.
RNG does work in mysterious ways indeed!
edited by Skinnyman on 4/3/2019

Possibly! Might have sacrificed a couple of firstborns for that privilege;)

[quote=Skinnyman]I remember you getting it back 3 times in less than 1-2 months if I remember correctly.
RNG does work in mysterious ways indeed!
edited by Skinnyman on 4/3/2019[/quote]