Buying a new ship, all the infos.

I’ve been running the Corvette with the Serpentine for ages now, and I can easily complete a tour of the known zee with the fuel and supplies I can carry from Fallen London plus either a few crates from pirate-ships and monsters or a stopover at Palmerston and/or the Funging Station. It’s not perfect - it would certainly be more practical on a Money run than a Zong run - but it’s manageable.

The thing is, I make most of my money through Admiralty information-gathering: if I don’t have the fuel to reach far places, I’m basically ruining my main source of income.[/quote]

You can do a full run with ~20 hold if you start a run in the south and hit Mt. Palmerston for refuelling, then the bats around Vendor. Granted, the 30 hold doesn’t offer much extra space for trading… but it is a much better ship for capturing frigates that take 6 crew to sail home (and will net you more money)

The cutter, however, is worthless. It can barely support doing laps, won’t survive encounters, doesn’t go any faster than any other ship, and leaves you extremely vulnerable to crew loss from ashore events. Throw on the abysmal cargo space, and you have what is called a ‘trap’.
edited by Zourin on 7/13/2014

I’m a little disappointed that larger ships don’t have more weapon slots. I got the frigate and found I couldn’t load any more guns onto it.

I like the Corvette but the smaller hold is a real pain for things like the Godfall event or carrying around strange catches for your Song of the Zee. Overall I regret not going straight for the frigate (I was presuming there would be some retained trade-in value, whoops).[li]

Overall I think the main shortcoming of the corvette and the other small ships is that they don’t out-maneuver the tramp steamer. They should really have a lighter &quotship weight&quot and a sharper turning radius.
edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 7/13/2014

[quote=Zourin]
You can do a full run with ~20 hold if you start a run in the south and hit Mt. Palmerston for refuelling, then the bats around Vendor. Granted, the 30 hold doesn’t offer much extra space for trading… but it is a much better ship for capturing frigates that take 6 crew to sail home (and will net you more money)

The cutter, however, is worthless. It can barely support doing laps, won’t survive encounters, doesn’t go any faster than any other ship, and leaves you extremely vulnerable to crew loss from ashore events. Throw on the abysmal cargo space, and you have what is called a ‘trap’.
edited by Zourin on 7/13/2014[/quote]

How much do you get from capturing a frigate?

Also I’m pretty sure the greater your engine power, the greater your fuel consumption. The only reason this is worth while is because fuel is much cheaper to reduce/get than terror.

On a side-note: has anyone yet encountered the ‘shore ship-combat’ encounter that Alexis referred to a while back?

Carol, if you complete with success the luck challenge, 60% chanche of success, you get 150 echoes from the frigates.

Ewan, I haven’t encountered nothing of the sort, maybe it’s not in the game yet.

Ewan, is it not perhaps the [SPOILER] combat option for dealing with the Cavys. I thought I remembered trying to attack using my ship and them managing to drive me off with the cannons from their grounded Pinnace. It wasn’t actual combat though (just a skill check) which is what I thought Alexis initially meant. Maybe it’s still out there, undiscovered somewhere.