Build your Zubmarine: Any tips?

Going for the Zub was probably (absolutely) not my wisest decisions, but I just can’t help it. It is a freakin sub!-er…Zubmarine!

I mean since the first step of the construction doesn’t cost anything if you have a tale of the future you can back out and go for the tramp steamer while you grind, if you wanted :P

(THe very first steps you don’t need to repeat, only the stuff from chosing which ship you want forward.)
edited by WormApotheote on 2/16/2015

Don’t forget that if you have a Zub everyone will realise how hardcore you are and the groupies will be all &quotOooo that Koening and their zub are so hot right now&quot and all that. That’s probably the main reason for getting one.

So essentially bragging rights I presume? I just wanted a Zubmarine for entirely personal reasons… Granted it may very well not be worth the effort I put into it, but for the sake of role playing it makes sense (That, and I do need other sources of “Bizarre” since I have already been able to reach 12 Respectable)

Progress update: 2 Whirring Contraptions Down, 18 to go. Then the real fun begins with those Diamonds…

Considering how expensive later points of notability are an extra point of BDR is probably worth it :P (of course, the yacht is better for that xD)
edited by WormApotheote on 2/16/2015

It does seem a bit odd that the Zubmarine only gives one point where as the Yacht gives two points. To me it seems like the former is significantly harder to gather supplies for than the latter.

On that note: Would you guys recommend either archaeological expeditions or grinding criminal connections for the Diamonds? In the case of the former what should I excavate? For the latter where should I grind?

Have you got Archaeologist up to 5? If not, I’d go for expeditions (honestly, I’d go for expeditions either way)

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Unpredictable_Treasures has a list of rewards. Thieve’s Cache requires less supplies and gives you a reward between 1-80, where the shrine is 1-160. This means you have a greater chance (about 1/4) to get A wooden mask AKA two diamonds; as well as that you only spend 9 supplies compared to the shrine’s 17/19.

If you dislike randomness a lot, you could go with the criminals route. Note that expeditions are pretty nice ppa as well =)

And yes, I agree that 1: the zub is much, much harder to get than anything else and 2: that it should at least have as much BDR as the yacht.
edited by Aximillio on 2/16/2015

Thanks. Once I have collected the whirring contraptions I need Ill start my excavations.

Hopefully the Zub becomes more useful in the near future, but in the mean time at least it gives me a lofty goal to complete so that I will enjoy it all the more once my work is done.

I assumed the zub would be cheaper than the yacht because its bonuses were lower. Oh well, I didn’t want to be a hoity-toity yachtsman anyway. Seven lenses to go. sob

I would guess the Yacht is more expensive overall, but someone would have to figure out the odds of success on the gamble, and the real action price of the resources gambled.
edited by Ian Hart on 7/28/2015

Is the number SEVEN stainsonmysoul weepingscars memoriesofchain bejewelledlenses?

Is the number TWENTY strongbackedlabours whirringcontraptions?

Is the number ONE zubmarine?

The zee is my well.

Frankly I think the Zub is the most useless of high-level ships. Clipper lets you travel faster, and Yacht gives you a nice boost to farming Notability along with some echoes at the zee. The Zub mostly just helps to reduce troubled waters, which you almost never need or want to do.
It is a prestige and rare item, and really cool from RP point, but really not so mechanically useful. So I’d advice anyone to think on it for a while before starting to build it.
Personally I’ve first acquired the Steamer, sailed on it for a bit, then when I became T2 POSI I made a Zee Clipper for maximum zailing efficiency, and now that I travel less I’m considering making a Yacht as a long-term all-round investment.

[quote=the truthseeker][quote=Danko]Frankly I think the Zub is the most useless of high-level ships. Clipper lets you travel faster, and Yacht gives you a nice boost to farming Notability along with some echoes at the zee. The Zub mostly just helps to reduce troubled waters, which you almost never need or want to do.
It is a prestige and rare item, and really cool from RP point, but really not so mechanically useful. So I’d advice anyone to think on it for a while before starting to build it.
Personally I’ve first acquired the Steamer, sailed on it for a bit, then when I became T2 POSI I made a Zee Clipper for maximum zailing efficiency, and now that I travel less I’m considering making a Yacht as a long-term all-round investment.[/quote]

The clipper is the most worthless ship now. No BDR whatsoever, no reward on a drawn ship card, and going faster is a moot point for journeying now we have unlimited drawing and destinations take less than 20 turns even before pre-paying turn reduction cost with maps and such. The only benefits remaining is its some cards’ draw in Troubled waters escape option. For its current cost to buy, absolutely not worth it anymore.[/quote]
Ah. Didn’t try the new zee yet. This may make my transition to the Yacht much quicker.

Hopefully the Zubmarine will get an upgrade someday, or perhaps, rather an option for us to upgrade it?

I got the Zubmarine because I wanted the bonus bizarre though if I could do it again I’d likely go for the Yacht due to the +2 Respectable.

Also, I cheated. I paid for it with Fate, so take that as you will.

I went for the Zubmarine for similar reasons, though I did put the work into getting it. This was before Notability was a thing, so prioritizing a harder to get stat seemed like the way to go. I’m still happy with my zub, however. Given another chance I would still go for it.