Bug Reports

Perhaps it would be help to log the bugs we run across separate to our thoughts and impressions?

• I hit some Unfinished Pirates today, off Mutton Island. Rather than entering combat, every time the boats touched, it gave me the event card about the Yellow Eyed Maid climbing on the ceiling.

• Occasionally my fragments don’t add up into a secret, they just keep going and the meter advises me to collect -18 (for example) fragments for a new secret.

[li]

Did you send them a bug report? In the email about beta access they detailed how to do that and what they want from you in terms of details. [li]

Sighs

Smites forehead

Lashes self to wheel and turns ship toward reef, cackling madly about reading emails properly

[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]:)[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]Par for the course. If only 5% of people miss something, then that’s 70 people out of 1400 beta testers. We don’t want to shut down discussion, because it’s sooo useful, and we know everyone wants to talk anyway. But we will be gently ushering people in the direction of sunlesssea@failbettergames.com for bug reports.[/color][li]

Thanks very much. I’ll send an email in due course. While you’re on the line, though: it’s bloody wonderful! Very atmospheric and even if a lot of content is still absent, it’s already a very compelling place to spend time.

I was playing the SS Beta normally for two hours, when images started to disappear, especially the officer’s portraits.
A few minutes later, the whole game crashed.
A box appeared with the content &quotThe game crashed. The crash report folder named &quot2014-04-30-210500&quot next to game executable. It would be great if you send […]&quot, but but here is no such folder on my computer. I don’t know if I should bother to email this to the developers, because there is not really anything I can tell them.???

Mod edit: gentle forum rule is ‘no coloured text because that’s how we quickly identify FB employee posts.’ Also, the pink was making my eyes blur. Weird. :-S (Sorry)
edited by babelfishwars on 4/30/2014

[quote=Johnny Felix]I was playing the SS Beta normally for two hours, when images started to disappear, especially the officer’s portraits.
A few minutes later, the whole game crashed.
A box appeared with the content &quotThe game crashed. The crash report folder named &quot2014-04-30-210500&quot next to game executable. It would be great if you send […]&quot, but but here is no such folder on my computer. I don’t know if I should bother to email this to the developers, because there is not really anything I can tell them.???[/quote]

I’d drop them a line anyway. It may be they have specific questions that might drag knowledge out of you that you didn’t realise you had. Or they have other ideas. Fatal crashes are pretty bad bugs, they’ll want to hear about them even if they can’t do much about them for now.
With no computer knowledge at all, I want to say something clever and wise about ‘memory leak’ - but that would be using language I’ve picked up from trashy films, so I best not.

When you submit a bug report, you get an auto-reply asking for this: Your debug output_log.txt file located in your Sunless Sea_data directory.
I find that directory here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sunless Sea\Sunless Sea_Data (however I don’t have such a text file. :-S - I’ll keep looking till someone more brainy swoops in. {I don’t have one - I have one for Gone Home, but not Sunless Sea. Whether this is because I’ve never crashed it, or that in itself is a bug, I don’t know.)
edited by babelfishwars on 4/30/2014

I’m unable to download the new content update – neither ‘new game’ nor playing a previous game prompted me to download anything.

Yeah, this only worked for me when I started a new game from the main menu when launching the game.
If you go to the main menu from within a game, it won’t download the new updates.

[li]

Okay, so, something that’s afflicting my games - every time I start the game and pull out from London, I bump into a few crabs. I slaughter the crab (sweet sweet Supplies!) and carry on. If I’m lucky, I catch another ship and grab it, staff it with a prize crew, and send her home. So far so good.

And then…that’s it. No more combat at all. No creatures, nothing to do other than ship around ports. Which is fine except it’s just a boring straightforward ride.

Anyone else having this issue? Should I be looking at a full reinstall? Is it my save or something?

That seems to be affecting everyone at the moment. One of the Masters mentioned they’re working on it. It seems to be caused by the fact that the wandering enemies are, well, wandering off. You encounter the ones close to London straight away but the others just swim, slither and steam off into the Great Unknown.