Browser Extension: Gadzooks!

Gadzooks! Beta!

A miscellany of adornments, accoutrements and other such trappings for Fallen London.

Gadzooks! is in no way associated with Failbetter games. Use of this browser script is entirely at your own risk.

Here be dragons, and so forth.

• Tons of CSS hacks!
  • Extremely configurable!
  • Mobile support!
  • Funny name!
  • Beta!

I’ve been using a number of custom hacks to make the otherwise excellent game a little easier to use. The biggest of these is (highly experimental) mobile support.

Please see https://github.com/hash-bang/gadzooks for full installation instructions, FAQs and various other information.

I’m looking both for feedback and a potential helping hand with tidying up some of the visual appeal. If anyone can offer some help please post something either here or at the issues page.
edited by h4nchan on 8/7/2015
edited by Cac0nym on 8/10/2015
edited by h4nchan on 8/10/2015

Has this been whitelisted?
If not, you should request it be done so before running it.

Its been submitted. Waiting on a response.

This looks great. One noteworthy issue in your otherwise excellent documentation: a list of modules and what they do.

Looking at the site I see an excellent, highly configurable skin for access to FL from a mobile browser. If there’s more to it than that, however, I’m not seeing it after a fair amount of looking.

[I’d note with sympathy that your timing is unfortunate, as FBG recently announced a closed beta for a mobile app for the game, but that this is available immediately is still exciting.]

I would hardly consider it unfortunate, considering that the upcoming mobile app is Apple-only at current.

A mobile app coming up is excellent news. I wrote FB an email some time ago checking that me posting this wouldn’t be an issue (not wanting to annoy them and all) but received no reply.

All speed to them I suppose. In the meantime Gadzooks! at least provides a few hacks to the desktop browser version.

Thanks for the suggestion on the module list - I’ll add that in to the docs.

Fair warning that using a non whitelisted script is a violation of the Fallen London Terms and Conditions:

Failbetter Games may suspend the accounts of any users it deems to be engaging in malicious or inappropriate conduct. Such conduct includes but is not limited to:
unauthorised use of automation or scripting to interact with the site;

[quote=Nigel Overstreet]Fair warning that using a non whitelisted script is a violation of the Fallen London Terms and Conditions:
[…]
unauthorised use of automation or scripting to interact with the site;
[/quote]

Does FBG have a history of coming down hard on this kind of thing? Those sorts of terms are typically much more focused on the automation part, with scripts which modify the UI in a helpful manner but never act on the player’s behalf left alone, particularly when the author has taken pains as Cac0nym clearly has to reduce the risk of stray bug reports.

&quotis a violation&quot rather than &quotmay be a violation&quot in your warning is a very strong statement that reads, to this add-on writer, as quite hostile to publication of modifications to the game without advance permission from FBG. Given that FBG is understandably slow about responding to such things as it’s a low priority for them, and that their current script policly explicitly says to publish with a forum link before emailing a whitelist request, I’m finding it counter-productive.

I don’t think that’s your intent; I think you want to protect players from the risk of getting in trouble. I know you’ve been an active member of this community quite a bit longer than I have, so I’m wondering if you know something about local enforcement of the rules that I don’t.

[quote=marcmagus]Does FBG have a history of coming down hard on this kind of thing? Those sorts of terms are typically much more focused on the automation part, with scripts which modify the UI in a helpful manner but never act on the player’s behalf left alone, particularly when the author has taken pains as Cac0nym clearly has to reduce the risk of stray bug reports.

&quotis a violation&quot rather than &quotmay be a violation&quot in your warning is a very strong statement that reads, to this add-on writer, as quite hostile to publication of modifications to the game without advance permission from FBG. Given that FBG is understandably slow about responding to such things as it’s a low priority for them, and that their current script policy explicitly says to publish with a forum link before emailing a whitelist request, I’m finding it counter-productive.

I don’t think that’s your intent; I think you want to protect players from the risk of getting in trouble. I know you’ve been an active member of this community quite a bit longer than I have, so I’m wondering if you know something about local enforcement of the rules that I don’t.[/quote]
I couldn’t say how &quothard&quot FBG comes down on unauthorized scripts. I presume that’s kept between violators and themselves.

But I know they have specifically asked players many times, both in the linked ToS and on the forum, not to use any non whitelisted scripts and stated that their use is a violation of the ToS.
I don’t know if you will have an account removed, but you certainly could. It is unlikely. But some folks might want to do it out of respect for the policy, rather than out of fear of punishment.

If you believe that their response to whitelisting scripts is too slow and would like to ignore their request and use scripts anyway, you are free to do so.
However, I feel players who aren’t familiar with the ToS should be given fair warning if they choose to ignore the policy.

EDIT: Also, let me say that I love Userscripts. I think they’re awesome and I use a couple. A few years ago we used to have a lot more of them and most were really cool. Alexis asked they follow only a few, very simple guidelines.
Then a couple of people decided to ignore those guidelines and, unfortunately, all scripts were banned. It wasn’t anything anyone wanted to do, but they were just getting out of hand and the devs made a choice. All scripts banned. No exceptions. It sucked, but I had to stop using a bunch of those cool scripts.
So when whitelisting came out, I was elated. It’s a very cool and reasonable compromise.
My concern is that if too many folks start ignoring the white list and just run whatever they want whenever they want, Alexis may be forced to just ban scripts all together. Which no one wants.
I think waiting a week or so for a script to be whitelisted is a reasonable request and it would not only be polite, but beneficial to the game as a whole, if that request were respected.
edited by Nigel Overstreet on 8/7/2015

I would hardly consider it unfortunate, considering that the upcoming mobile app is Apple-only at current.[/quote]

They did ask for Android testers to sign up, too.

Thank you, that makes it much clearer where you’re coming from. I had no idea that there was a period of no scripts allowed. For that matter, while I’ve looked around the forums and the website, I haven’t seen the script guidelines you refer to. All I’ve seen is the whitelist page on the forum. The ToS do not read as the above quote to me, and the forum/blog post that’s more explicit isn’t stickied, I’m sure I just missed it.
Not knowing that background, the whitelist page and the TOS read much less strictly: more of a &quotUI extensions are at your own risk, we won’t give support for them and if they mess up your game or cause you to cheat [usually means playing on your behalf] we won’t fix it/will punish you accordingly. The whitelist represents a few we’ve checked out and while we don’t support them you won’t get in trouble for using them, others you’re responsible for figuring out if there’s going to be a problem.&quot Which I presume is similar to how things were before the big ban?

Sorry for being a bit twitchy; I hope you can appreciate that without knowing the history and thus having inaccurate background assumptions I was reading from the wrong perspective. And sorry for the thread hijack.

[Edit: added quote for context after I took too long to reply]
edited by marcmagus on 8/7/2015

It’s not terribly easy to find, but Alexis noted it here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic376-the-fidgeting-writer--doing-the-maths-spoilers.aspx?page=3

This is why it is important that you whitelist your script before running it or advertising it to others.

Never would have found that, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’d note the follow-up to you from Alexis is fairly consistent with my working assumption, &quot[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]As I say, we’re not going to pursue this kind of trivial automation aggressively, but you’re basically voiding your warranty.[/color]&quot, but is also more unambiguous that non-script and non-automating extensions are also forbidden (barring whitelist).

That said, if you look at the whitelist page, the process laid out is quite clear: First create a thread for the extension (thus advertising it to others), then email FBG requesting it be added to the whitelist. This is…incompatible with your advice.

In light of this, I’d suggest, and I’m going to do this for my own styles as soon as I’m done posting it, that any extension authors include a note with their disclaimers to the effect that the extension is not at this time whitelisted (approved by FBG), and that potential users do so at their own risk knowing that &quotunauthorised use of automation or scripting to interact with the site&quot is a violation of the ToS.

[quote=marcmagus][quote=Nigel Overstreet]
That said, if you look at the whitelist page, the process laid out is quite clear: First create a thread for the extension (thus advertising it to others), then email FBG requesting it be added to the whitelist. This is…incompatible with your advice.
[/quote]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]I can’t whitelist something without a thread, and I’d rather avoid back and forth if possible. We need a link to the extension to review it. [/color]
[color=#0066ff]
[/color]
[color=#0066ff]I’ve updated the whitelist advice to include adding ‘pending approval’ to the thread title, which fixes all, I think.[/color]

[color=rgb(0, 102, 255)][quote=]I’ve updated the whitelist advice to include adding ‘pending approval’ to the thread title, which fixes all, I think.[/quote][/color]

Thanks for updating those guidelines - they did seem a bit fuzzy on that point.

To everyone else - FB has been in touch and have requested some minor stuff. All being well Gadzooks! should have the &quotwhite list green light&quot in the next email cycle.

To celebrate I’ve added in a Mist effect animation for the header image as a Zook.

Is the Android version of this permanently broken? I’ve tried it on Chrome Beta, Chrome, and Firefox, and it does nothing except freeze the page. I followed the right instructions.

unfortunately there was an update of google chrome in june this year. the update removed the feature &quotmerge tabs an apps&quot from the settings of chrome. without this feature, the script won´t run and Gadzooks can´t be uses in chrome anymore.
only way to get it working is using xposed framework if ur phone is rooted or reverting chrome to a version < 0.51
i´m really sad about this, because i found out about gadzooks only yesterday, love it in the browser and today i searched about an hour in the internet to find a solution (which doesn´t seem to be available except forementioned workarounds)
anyone tested it with any OTHER browser on phone except chrome?
edited by R4B4ZZ on 12/2/2016