Bronze Border Stories

Are all stories with a bronze border solvable? I heard that the storylet &quotVillainy for Profit: Area-Diving&quot is possible to do; however, I’ve completed the entire story four times and the same option exists with the same story with the servants and such. Am I missing something? I feel like I’ve been missing out on some story for shadowy because after unlocking the Flit around 45 or so, I have been struggling to get it up. And I haven’t had a problem with the other qualities, but shadowy is lagging behind. I’ve been grinding &quotWorking for the Widow&quot story since the chances of success aren’t too low. This method is so slow, but seems like the only way to raise it? Too low for the Flit stories, nothing to do in Spite…

Regarding the bronze border storylets, it’s the same with the &quotJack-of-smiles has expanded his interests&quot storylet, I’ve done it and no new story line.

I believe most bronze storylets are actually repeatable, until you get locked out of them by advancing story or raising stats.
As for raising shadowy - Flit is the best place, get some shadowy gear if you can’t access any storylets and grind options that provide no menaces on failure.

Or you could make use of suspicious loitering - there was a recent(ish) thread for like-minded new players: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21768-society-of-upandcoming-criminals.aspx
edited by Talkes on 2/29/2016

The bronze color generally means that it’s a repeatable story-line. Gold are generally one time only.

I always assumed that Bronze borders meant there was more to the story (rather than just being a one-off action), but that it wasn’t a major narrative. (The ‘Jack of Smiles’ thing has its own storyline, part of which is Fate-locked, but you probably won’t encounter the rest of that until quite a bit later.)

@Anne - on your ‘Myself’ tab, under ‘Story’ qualities, what number is your A Name Whispered in Darkness at currently?
Alternately, does anything Shadowy-sounding show up when you go to your Lodgings and opt to Chat with the Local Gossip?

Yeah, Shadowy is by far the hardest attribute to raise - I ended up buying a Ratskin Suit and Pair of Lenguals to get my Shadowy reasonably caught-up, myself! Beyond that, all you can really do is push through the stories; &quotThe Big Score&quot robbery set is very slow to get through, but the followup, Heists, is extremely quick, using the same tests but requiring a fraction of the actions to get through and giving some nice rewards… just make sure you have 90 effective Shadowy required to buy Inside Information before doing so, 2 of them is generally enough to near-guarantee a victory and you can get 2 II + meet the heist’s requirements with three successful &quotFormulate a plan&quots.

Otherwise, beyond my method of &quotbribe your way to competency&quot you can either try and find a Shadowy Patron (good luck, genuinely!) or just resign yourself to a long grind to get it up to scratch.
edited by Darkroot on 3/1/2016

[quote=Talkes]I believe most bronze storylets are actually repeatable, until you get locked out of them by advancing story or raising stats.[/font][/color]
As for raising shadowy - Flit is the best place, get some shadowy gear if you can’t access any storylets and grind options that provide no menaces on failure.[/font][/color][/quote]
Thanks Talkes, I finally found some other person on reddit I think who said the same thing, for the same storylet I’ve been wondering about XD. Yeah, I’ll have to find a better grind my suspicion is getting up there, or at least find a way of lowering it.

Thanks, the help tab didn’t necessarily say they were repeatable. The help did say that gold is ‘often a once-only story’ :)

[quote=Kittenpox]I always assumed that Bronze borders meant there was more to the story (rather than just being a one-off action), but that it wasn’t a major narrative. (The ‘Jack of Smiles’ thing has its own storyline, part of which is Fate-locked, but you probably won’t encounter the rest of that until quite a bit later.)

@Anne - on your ‘Myself’ tab, under ‘Story’ qualities, what number is your A Name Whispered in Darkness at currently?
Alternately, does anything Shadowy-sounding show up when you go to your Lodgings and opt to Chat with the Local Gossip?[/quote]
Thanks Kittenpox, yeah I was getting tired of the same story, didn’t even bother reading it anymore I knew what it was going to say already lol.
My A Name Whispered in Darkness at 4. And when I Chat with the Local Gossip the only options require higher shadowy.

[quote=Darkroot]Yeah, Shadowy is by far the hardest attribute to raise - I ended up buying a Ratskin Suit and Pair of Lenguals to get my Shadowy reasonably caught-up, myself! Beyond that, all you can really do is push through the stories; &quotThe Big Score&quot robbery set is very slow to get through, but the followup, Heists, is extremely quick, using the same tests but requiring a fraction of the actions to get through and giving some nice rewards… just make sure you have 90 effective Shadowy required to buy Inside Information before doing so, 2 of them is generally enough to near-guarantee a victory and you can get 2 II + meet the heist’s requirements with three successful &quotFormulate a plan&quots.[/font][/color]
Otherwise, beyond my method of &quotbribe your way to competency&quot you can either try and find a Shadowy Patron (good luck, genuinely!) or just resign yourself to a long grind to get it up to scratch.[/font][/color][/quote]
Thanks Darkroot, not good news then? Lol. Holy cow 400 echoes? No way! I’m too poor, I’ve already resigned myself to grinding. I’ll have to keep that in mind, although 90 shadowy is very, very, high. Can’t wait for the heists, less actions sounds pretty good. The current options use 3 actions, that is too much. I already burn through all my actions even though most options use only 1 XD.