Bribe me!

What I have to offer: almost certainly 20 election career and 10 election influence. I’m back from a really long hiatus so unfortunately I probably won’t be able to provide more than about 5 notability.

What I want: good arguments and bribes! There’s nothing in particular I’m looking for right now, other than a good debate and perhaps a starveling cat.

More about me and random ramblings about the election:
Last year, I jumped to support the Bishop almost immediately, since even if he did not succeed at his task his election would at the very least slow the (already widespread) social acceptance of devils walking in the streets. (Yes, I am taking this way too seriously, but then again aren’t we all?) The Contrarian was alluring, but he’d have been a protest vote if there were no other good candidates: I wasn’t going to waste my vote when the Bishop was running.

However, this year… none of the three candidates really stand out to me.

[ul][li]The DTC has good intentions, and seemingly more or less follows the Bishop’s spirit of trying to combat all kinds of hedonism and degeneracy (which go hand in hand with the devils and their ubiquitousness), but she’s going about it in a way I’m not sure I approve of. And while helping reformed hedonists and criminals is a noble goal, given the current situation in London I’m not convinced it should be the immediate concern - if the city continues under quasi-rule of all manner of hellish creatures, Masters, and other such unsavoury entities, won’t things keep becoming progressively worse? Direct attempts to help those with a poorer lot will merely delay that.[/li][li]The Detective seems to have an equally noble goal: after all, if uncorrupted justice were restored, a lot of things would probably improve extremely quickly. The problem is that the system is flawed at such a deep level that properly cleaning it out would be completely impossible - even if the Detective were to somehow miraculously manage to make significant headway, the Masters themselves would likely eventually get involved and promptly put a stop to it. Not to mention Hell and the other various dubiously legal factions (from Criminals to Urchins), which would be standing against her every step of the way.
No, I don’t think the Detective will improve anything in any significant manner - at best, she will engage in a futile battle, perhaps reducing petty crime and somewhat improving other such little-significant aspects without affecting the bigger picture; at worst, she’s got her own agenda and means to use the position of mayoral power to further her own ends, whatever they may be, under the guise of &quotshaking up&quot the system.[/li][li]Feducci seems like the protest vote this time around. Screw everything, burn it all (or gamble it all away, if you prefer), maybe liberate the night (or maybe don’t) and maybe achieve some sort of equality (of opportunity? of power/wealth/status?).
Still, while he might make an interesting mayor, there isn’t much in his campaign that I would really agree with - making him, like I mentioned, more of a protest vote for me, should neither of the other two turn out to be satisfactory.[/li][/ul]At least, these are my impressions from what limited interaction I’ve had so far. Am I wrong? Are there counter-arguments? Convince me (with either a verbal rhetoric, or a monetary one)!

Seems you’ve already picked a side.
If you’ve still got doubts, rest assured that the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner intends to combat organized crime, at least the organized crime revolving around the honey-trade.

I’m off to bed now, but contact me privately and I’ll see what assets our Campaign can send your way. We’re certainly the best organized of the three factions - see my description for a link to our HQ.

Honey is far from the only evil plaguing London’s society though, even only talking from a standpoint of anti-hedonism. That said, I’ll take a look at the HQ for more information - thanks for the advice.

Right now they are buying up massive quantities of honey, so are actually filling the purses of the honey barons, not combating them.

Quite frankly, I’m getting rather annoyed by people thinking that Feducci might be even distantly connected to the Liberation of Night. The Calendar Council speaks of destroying the Chain, and Feducci of climbing it.

As for myself, while I do not believe that any attempt to reshape any level of the chain, cosmic or societal, until we have the power to remake the chain as a whole. And for that, we must ascend. My support of Feducci, I think, is the first step of that.

If anyone, the DTC is the one most likely to be secretly advancing the liberation of night. She has some rather surprising connections in her murky past.

Quite frankly, I’m getting rather annoyed by people thinking that Feducci might be even distantly connected to the Liberation of Night. The Calendar Council speaks of destroying the Chain, and Feducci of climbing it.

As for myself, while I do not believe that any attempt to reshape any level of the chain, cosmic or societal, until we have the power to remake the chain as a whole. And for that, we must ascend. My support of Feducci, I think, is the first step of that.[/quote]
I don’t believe the chain should be reshapen or climbed to begin with- the creatures above us exist on wholly different scales and experience the world in wholly different ways, which makes it hard to say whether they’re actually above us in any way.

We only ever wanted to start climbing once we knew the chain existed. Maybe the chain isn’t something the judgments came up with but just the natural way of things, maybe it’s like figuring out gravity and being mad because you can’t fly.

I’d consider a slug foolish for being scornful at the bird because it can fly and the slug can’t. After all, being on our position of the chain doesn’t prevent us from living meaningful lives, does it?

She’s not allied with the Revolutionaries, they’re pressuring her on her friendship with the Calendar Council’s previous March, who by all accounts was pretty mellow and un-Revolutionary.
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 6/27/2017

The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner, who currently has my support, is the progressive candidate. She has dedicated her life to fighting exploitation for everyone, including captive animals, honey-addicts, and the victims of predatory financial practices. She focuses on the exploiters rather than the victims, and she is campaigning for a kinder London. The office of mayor lacks the power and authority to address the Masters or the Fingerkings or Hell; it can only resist quietly, and do the best it can in the meantime. Is change for the better not better than no change at all?

Of course, with the information that comes in the second week, my recommendation could change entirely, but we’ll have to wait and see for that.

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]I don’t believe the chain should be reshapen or climbed to begin with- the creatures above us exist on wholly different scales and experience the world in wholly different ways, which makes it hard to say whether they’re actually above us in any way.

We only ever wanted to start climbing once we knew the chain existed. Maybe the chain isn’t something the judgments came up with but just the natural way of things, maybe it’s like figuring out gravity and being mad because you can’t fly.

I’d consider a slug foolish for being scornful at the bird because it can fly and the slug can’t. After all, being on our position of the chain doesn’t prevent us from living meaningful lives, does it?[/quote]The evidence, for me, indicates that the Great Chain and most of the way the universe works is either a creation of or willingly maintained by the Judgements. The Dawn Machine desires to end the Chain (and linear time, while it’s at it, meaning our entire conception of this universe), and the place you zail to is described as luminous and impossible, giving credence to the Machine’s reality warping capabilities.

Then again, neither death nor linear time seem to be ended by the Liberation of Night destinies, so who knows?

You’re right that our place on the Great Chain doesn’t stop us from living meaningful lives. The only issue is that it makes us live subservient lives. You live life knowing that there are far greater, far more powerful beings far above, as uncaring of humanity as we are of ants and flies, and their law is universal. There is (mostly) no escape.

I disagree, as

and are ants and flies really subservient to us? Not really. Our law is &quotuniversal&quot with &quotno escape&quot insomuch as ants or flies have no capability to influence human lawmaking, even where these laws affect them (e.g. some mandate that pesticide must be used in particular circumstances - the ants involved can’t protest that in any way). But for the majority of things, do ants care about our human laws? And while humans kill insects pretty often, do you think that, if you were a random insect, you’d have a high chance of ending up dead by the hand of a human? No, the odds are absolutely minuscule, infinitesimal even.

In short, what I’m trying to say is that technically, the beings higher than us have practically complete power over us, but on top of that they are on a completely different level of existence to the point where them actively trying to meddle in our lives would be a boring waste of time. The Fallen Cities, and the Masters living in them, are a bit of an exception, of course.

I have sent a cat.

If you want more than one cat, do mention that. I have spares.

[quote=Teaspoon]I have sent a cat.

If you want more than one cat, do mention that. I have spares.[/quote]
While I certainly thank you (though I’m short on actions for accepting it just right now), could I ask who you’re actually trying to bribe me for?

Oh, sorry! There should have been a message with the cat.

although perhaps it was a little obscure

I was trying to bribe you for the Campaigner, anyhow.

Oh right. For some reason I completely missed the “Campaigner” in the message.

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]What I have to offer: almost certainly 20 election career and 10 election influence. I’m back from a really long hiatus so unfortunately I probably won’t be able to provide more than about 5 notability.

What I want: good arguments and bribes! There’s nothing in particular I’m looking for right now, other than a good debate and perhaps a starveling cat.

More about me and random ramblings about the election:
Last year, I jumped to support the Bishop almost immediately, since even if he did not succeed at his task his election would at the very least slow the (already widespread) social acceptance of devils walking in the streets. (Yes, I am taking this way too seriously, but then again aren’t we all?) The Contrarian was alluring, but he’d have been a protest vote if there were no other good candidates: I wasn’t going to waste my vote when the Bishop was running.

However, this year… none of the three candidates really stand out to me.

[ul][li]The DTC has good intentions, and seemingly more or less follows the Bishop’s spirit of trying to combat all kinds of hedonism and degeneracy (which go hand in hand with the devils and their ubiquitousness), but she’s going about it in a way I’m not sure I approve of. And while helping reformed hedonists and criminals is a noble goal, given the current situation in London I’m not convinced it should be the immediate concern - if the city continues under quasi-rule of all manner of hellish creatures, Masters, and other such unsavoury entities, won’t things keep becoming progressively worse? Direct attempts to help those with a poorer lot will merely delay that.[/li][li]The Detective seems to have an equally noble goal: after all, if uncorrupted justice were restored, a lot of things would probably improve extremely quickly. The problem is that the system is flawed at such a deep level that properly cleaning it out would be completely impossible - even if the Detective were to somehow miraculously manage to make significant headway, the Masters themselves would likely eventually get involved and promptly put a stop to it. Not to mention Hell and the other various dubiously legal factions (from Criminals to Urchins), which would be standing against her every step of the way.
No, I don’t think the Detective will improve anything in any significant manner - at best, she will engage in a futile battle, perhaps reducing petty crime and somewhat improving other such little-significant aspects without affecting the bigger picture; at worst, she’s got her own agenda and means to use the position of mayoral power to further her own ends, whatever they may be, under the guise of &quotshaking up&quot the system.[/li][li]Feducci seems like the protest vote this time around. Screw everything, burn it all (or gamble it all away, if you prefer), maybe liberate the night (or maybe don’t) and maybe achieve some sort of equality (of opportunity? of power/wealth/status?).
Still, while he might make an interesting mayor, there isn’t much in his campaign that I would really agree with - making him, like I mentioned, more of a protest vote for me, should neither of the other two turn out to be satisfactory.[/li][/ul]At least, these are my impressions from what limited interaction I’ve had so far. Am I wrong? Are there counter-arguments? Convince me (with either a verbal rhetoric, or a monetary one)![/quote]

Regarding all these bullet points, I think you need to remember the mayor can only do so much. To use an example from last year: consider the bishop’s task, and then ask yourself, do mayors generally declare war? It sounds like the things you want to accomplish are beyond the scope of a mayoral campaign. With that in mind, when it comes to this election, ask yourself what’s the best that can be done with the powers of the office. Based on your viewpoint, it sounds like the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is the one who will work as close to your goals as can be done from that position.
edited by aegisaglow on 6/27/2017

[quote=Dudebro Pyro]What I have to offer: almost certainly … 10 election influence.[/quote]I thought the limit was 9?

Just as a general piece of advice for choosing any candidate, very few things are permanent in our lives. Even if a candidate has limited or temporary promises, that in itself doesn’t outway the potential good they may carry in the present. That being said, I’m currently for the Implacable Detective. She’s the character out of the three that I trust the most, and her approach to law so far seems to be an honest and meticulously monitored system out to punish corruption and greed from higher ups and those abusing power. If you need a more material persuasion than my opinion, here’s what I have to offer:

• 30 first city coins (3)
  • A Starveling Cat (3)
  • Mr Eaten’s Calling Card? (1)
  • An unwrapped cat (7)
  • A shared bottle of Greyfields 1868 First Sporing (4)
  • A shared bottle of Black Wings Absinthe (11)
  • Promise of future assistance, invitations, or menace reduction
  • Full or partial payment for campaigner donations

Send me a pm to discuss a price.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 6/28/2017

The DTC, while well-intentioned, seems woefully ill-equipped for the task now that she has a following. Just look at her preemptive campaign against honey. She’s just throwing money at the honey traders and bodies at the problem, and tossing the honey down a hole. No real plan for how to handle the culture and economy that supports the honey trade. If she continues that approach as mayor, I suspect that she’ll just toss out paint swatch policies that don’t actually solve the problem, which will just force people into a more dangerous black market. If anything, she’d be more useful outside of office. Feducci, while a delightful friend and occasional combatant, also lack a solid plan, which you already seem aware of.

The Detective, while not the most charismatic candidate, is nothing but efficacious. One doesn’t become a master detective without learning how to plan and plot as well as one’s quarry. Sure, she may have ulterior motives for taking office, but by all accounts, she honestly does want to take on the corrupt and ponderous legal system of Fallen London and go at it with a chunk of steel wool. If she accomplishes that along with whatever else she has going on behind the curtain, then at least something lasting will come out of her term, which is more than I expect for our other two candidates.
edited by Yarrunmace on 6/28/2017

I was a Bishop voter too, and now I’m supporting the Detective. From your overview of the candidates, you seem to be concerned with the many threats that London is facing. This naturally requires a clean and competent corps of constables, which the Detective will work toward creating.

Frankly, I don’t think the greatness of this task, or its &quotimpossibility&quot, as you said, should deter you from choosing her. We didn’t stop voting for the Bishop because fighting a war against Hell is impossible, did we? Any step that she would take while in office would be the first step toward actually reforming the system to protect all Londoners. If the powers that be should oppose her, then we should support her even more once she becomes Mayor - not to beat a hasty retreat before the battle is even begun.

Also, you mentioned that Hell, among other factions, will be standing against her in every way. This sounds like an even better reason to support her, but I’m curious - why do you think Hell would try to stop her?

Additionally, by now you’re probably aware that each campaign has its own scandals and secret backers. All of them are dangerous and problematic, but Feducci’s campaign manager is an Indulgent Devil. Now, there is an argument to be made that the Devils are only repaying Feducci for his contribution in their revolution, and that he’s using them more than they are using him. But it doesn’t change the fact that his campaign is run by Hellspeople, and if he should take power, it’s quite likely that they will get into all sorts of important position. Even if you’d like to support him as a protest candidate, you should consider whether you’re willing to see the rise of the Devils as a possible consequence.

[quote=Yarrunmace]The DTC, while well-intentioned, seems woefully ill-equipped for the task now that she has a following. Just look at her preemptive campaign against honey. She’s just throwing money at the honey traders and bodies at the problem, and tossing the honey down a hole. No real plan for how to handle the culture and economy that supports the honey trade. If she continues that approach as mayor, I suspect that she’ll just toss out paint swatch policies that don’t actually solve the problem, which will just force people into a more dangerous black market. If anything, she’d be more useful outside of office. Feducci, while a delightful friend and occasional combatant, also lack a solid plan, which you already seem aware of.

The Detective, while not the most charismatic candidate, is nothing but efficacious. One doesn’t become a master detective without learning how to plan and plot as well as one’s quarry. Sure, she may have ulterior motives for taking office, but by all accounts, she honestly does want to take on the corrupt and ponderous legal system of Fallen London and go at it with a chunk of steel wool. If she accomplishes that along with whatever else she has going on behind the curtain, then at least something lasting will come out of her term, which is more than I expect for our other two candidates.
edited by Yarrunmace on 6/28/2017[/quote]
That’s obviously not her long-term approach, even if it is foolish as it is.
The DTC wants to have the honey supply in the city completely drained, and this is pretty much the fastest (if not most economical, or wise) way to do that, it’s safe to say that she’ll eventually start tackling the suppliers if not the addicts.

Dudebro Pyro, I can add a shipment of 30 first city coins and another cat to Teaspoon’s offer.

I’m not convinced of that. But on the other hand I’m absolutely convinced that the Detective won’t last more than 5 minutes before getting corrupted, assasinated, or at least getting all her effective powers stymied to the point where she’s a powerless figurehead.

I’m off to the airport now but I’ll let everyone know which offer I’ll accept either later today or tomorrow.