Botanists for Social Justice

[quote=KatarinaNavane]I would like to get in this queue if it is still possible to do so.[/quote]Indeed it is. By my count you’re the seventh person to sign up for this, so with luck, we shall soon be lining up in an orderly and contented fashion.

Eric, thanks for your offer, but I’ll give the betrayal to Shadowcthuhlu since they didn’t ask for Second Chances. Shadowcthuhlu, will it be acceptable if I arrange the betrayal once three people have their Rosettes? It’s my trump card, and I believe some caution is in order when bargaining with those who bear the names of eldritch abominations. I’ll also arrange the betrayal if we don’t get as far as three Rosettes through no fault of yours. (Also, I can guarantee that the agreement will be honoured on my end – you should be able to verify that I myself am eligible for betrayal, and I’ll accept it myself if anything should prevent my contact from doing so.)

Tyler, thanks for offering to set up brackets, but I think they’d be pretty hard to use. This is partly because, as you say, the person challenged occasionally wins, and partly because it’s not a knock-out Tournament. Is everyone okay with following section 10 in my post above? It should ensure that we always know who we should go up against next.

Here’s a list of everyone who’s asked to participate.

[ul][li]Sebastian Flyte[/li][li]Tyler[/li][li]Doomlewa (Matt Goerwell)[/li][li]Evariste S. Crumbledon[/li][li]Jack Vaux-Harrowden[/li][li]Shadowcthuhlu[/li][li]Katarina Navane[/li][/ul]Could everyone please check in to confirm you’re still up for this? (Katarina, you don’t have to – I’ll assume you haven’t changed your mind in the last couple of hours.) Once I hear back from everyone I’ll randomise the list and we’ll be ready to begin!

As an aside, assuming I’m able to get my rosette once, I’ll happily be used as a stepping stone as long as my plant doesn’t fall below level 10 for future participants.
edited by Tyler on 6/25/2013

As Tyler says–once I’ve gotten a rosette, I’m content to let my hell-fern be beaten down below 10.

That is acceptable, though I am honorable in my dealings.

I’m all on. I haven’t taken care of my little green companion lately, busy I was trying to find a starveling cat and digging holes in the Forgotten Quarter, and it still should be past 19.

Do you want my help? I occasionally find some cats in my mail.

@shadowcthuhlu, I’d be grateful. The elusive beast I’m after should help me in a regrettable endeavour…

I will send you the next squirming package that I get.

I may or may not need a person. My circumstance may or may not have changed. Regardless, I’m still in

@shadowcthulhu, thank you. Alas, it was a mere sorrow-spider. My hand is still itching from the bite. If you happen to haev another parcel…
But back to our topic, do we have a list yet? I need to check whether I can accept a challenge I’ve been notified of or not. I feel I can safely decline it, but I wanted to check first.

[quote=Evariste S. Crumbledon]But back to our topic, do we have a list yet? I need to check whether I can accept a challenge I’ve been notified of or not. I feel I can safely decline it, but I wanted to check first.[/quote]We’re still waiting to hear back from Doomlewa, who seems not to have visited the forum in the last four days. I’ll contact him in Fallen London and see how it goes.

[quote=Shadowcthuhlu]I may or may not need a person. My circumstance may or may not have changed. Regardless, I’m still in[/quote]If you decide you’d prefer a Rosette before I generate a list, let me know and I’ll randomise your position. Otherwise I’ll put you at the bottom. That won’t stop you getting a Rosette if that’s what you decide on, but randomising might get you it sooner.

Edit: Evariste, please decline or accept as you wish. It shouldn’t make much difference either way.
edited by Flyte on 6/28/2013

I still do need a person. My circumstances have been made clear to me.

I’d be interested in cooperation of this nature. I’d like to win one of these tournaments some day. Some day. But in the mean time I’m willing to boost anyone you want me to. Wouldn’t mind being low on the win priority list as long as I’m on the list at all. I am a very active player too. Although I do keep my attending the singular plant maxed out at 19 for knife and candle reasons so that might be an issue. I don’t know if it will skew the odds any.

But if you need one more person for this endeavor, just tell me what to do and I’ll do it.
edited by NiteBrite on 6/29/2013

Evariste, i will continue sending you my mail as it comes in.

[quote=NiteBrite]I’d be interested in cooperation of this nature. I’d like to win one of these tournaments some day. Some day. But in the mean time I’m willing to boost anyone you want me to. Wouldn’t mind being low on the win priority list as long as I’m on the list at all. I am a very active player too. Although I do keep my attending the singular plant maxed out at 19 for knife and candle reasons so that might be an issue. I don’t know if it will skew the odds any.[/quote]I thought you displayed an aptitude for the ordinary Tournament, myself. But no hard feelings, eh? You’ll get a random place, of course.

The potency of your plant won’t be an issue. It’s possible that, by chance, someone will win out of turn, but the algorithm can handle that – they get sent to the bottom of the list, and the person at the top remains there until they succeed. So long as challengers have a significantly higher chance of victory, all shall be well. (And all manner of thing shall be well.)

Doomlewa hasn’t visited the forum in five days, so I think we should start without him. I’ll post the list presently.

Edit: the list and rules can now be found in this thread’s first post.
edited by Flyte on 6/30/2013

Nah, I may have over 900 storynexus contacts due to prolific play in knife and candle, but I never got any further than contest of mysteries by playing randomly. At that level no one seems to accept invites. And I didn’t know about the <5% win chance for accepting invites until now so suddenly it all makes sense why I fell all the way back down to contest of strength after accepting every invite sent to me ever (with the exception of cases where I received multiple invites at the same time). Its a bit of a shame really, to learn about that. I did try to do a little organizing and tell people about who I previously fought to try and set up proper tournaments (such as this one here), but it just never worked out. It was like trying to heard cats.

Back on topic, it would be interesting to know what everyone’s starting level in the tournament is at present. For example, I just successfully challenged Katarina in a contest of strength today (thanks for the quick response). So currently I am the only one of this group in contest of cunning, and Katarina is the only one in contest of strength. If I knew who was in contest of blood I could anticipate who my next opponent might be. We could even get a little tournament bracket drawn up.

[quote=NiteBrite]Back on topic, it would be interesting to know what everyone’s starting level in the tournament is at present. For example, I just successfully challenged Katarina in a contest of strength today (thanks for the quick response). So currently I am the only one of this group in contest of cunning, and Katarina is the only one in contest of strength. If I knew who was in contest of blood I could anticipate who my next opponent might be. We could even get a little tournament bracket drawn up.[/quote]I seem to be the only one seeking a Contest of Blood. So either four of us are in the upper echelons, or some are at Zee, dead, insane, or otherwise unavailable. Once someone challenges me I’ll be able to give you and Katerina a leg up.

If you’d like to draw up brackets and aren’t daunted by the knowledge that a) there will be 100 to 150 matches and b) the brackets won’t behave as neatly as in a knock-out tournament, by all means do so. If my maths is right, after some initial awkward shuffling, there’ll be around 21 contests per Rosette, and we’ll almost always know who we’ll be up against next – usually the person immediately above or below you in the Queue.

[quote=NiteBrite]I did try to do a little organizing and tell people about who I previously fought to try and set up proper tournaments (such as this one here), but it just never worked out. It was like trying to heard cats.[/quote]I have wondered how others got their Rosettes. Extreme luck, gentlepersons’ agreements like this one, or treachery and guile? It’s hard to believe many have reached the upper levels of the Tournament without noticing its brokenness, and when you know it doesn’t make much sense to accept challenges. And that led me to wonder whether the Tournament is broken, or whether Failbetter are conducting some sort of social experiment…

Ah there we go. Spotted shadowcthulhlu. They were listed under another name, Dirae Erinyes (shadowcthuhlu), so I didn’t spot them at first. Things should start to move now.

Edit: Success. Now Katarina should be able to challenge shadowcthuhlu in a contest of strength. I’ll be waiting in contest of blood to see who shows up.
edited by NiteBrite on 6/30/2013

I’ve beat the contest of strength but have yet to go further then the contest of mysteries. Ah, sorry about the confusion, I should have remembered to tell the other growers.