Between Stars...

Well, if one removes the “t” from planet can give another explanation on where the Neath is located. The game Planescape : Torment has been reccomended by the developers a month ago and i have found this fragment when talking to an NPC from said game :
“The Outer Planes are created of and by belief and thought and faith. They take their imagined form from the Prime Material Plane, shaped into forms that stagger the imagination, built by the accumulation of belief. Belief creates the planes. Belief is power here. Change belief, and you can change the nature of reality. The creatures that are born here - the planeborn, like the fiends and celestials - are truly borne of the thoughts and concepts of mortals. They each express some sort of ideal, and the more powerful the ideal, the more powerful the being - thus, the being that symbolizes love is one of the strongest of all.”
Wasn’t the bazaar obsessed with love?
edited by Andrey Shmarev Shmareva on 12/28/2011

[quote=Andrey Shmareva]Well, if one removes the “t” from planet can give another explanation on where the Neath is located. The game Planescape : Torment has been reccomended by the developers a month ago and i have found this fragment when talking to an NPC from said game :
“The Outer Planes are created of and by belief and thought and faith. They take their imagined form from the Prime Material Plane, shaped into forms that stagger the imagination, built by the accumulation of belief. Belief creates the planes. Belief is power here. Change belief, and you can change the nature of reality. The creatures that are born here - the planeborn, like the fiends and celestials - are truly borne of the thoughts and concepts of mortals. They each express some sort of ideal, and the more powerful the ideal, the more powerful the being - thus, the being that symbolizes love is one of the strongest of all.”
Wasn’t the bazaar obsessed with love?[/quote]
I’m reasonably certain Echo Bazaar is not Dungeons and Dragons.

I am deeply sorry if this implication was taken from my previous message for it was not my intention to insult anyone.
But there were concepts that could be seen through a similar point of view in both games which in turn lead me to assume that a comparative treatment of ideas of certain closure could hold weight on the argument. In any case, i’ll be more specific : the very same NPC in Planescape says ,

"That’s why the powers - gods, some call them - live out here. This is where all the faith in them comes - this is where they are at their most pure and most strong. Their realms are extensions of their very beings, manifestations of their godly essence, all of it informed by belief. It is a place where moral alignment is arranged and interacts, rather than matter. At the heart of the Outer Planes is the Outlands, the realm of absolute neutrality. Probably the best place for a body to visit in the Outer Planes, outside of Sigil, if you don’t want to have a plane’s morality forced into your heart. Everything balances out in the Outlands - as it should be, for the plane that sits at the center of the Outer Planes. Powers’ realms are scattered about here, and there are handfuls of ‘gate towns’ that open into the rest of the Outer Planes. The gate towns usually mirror the philosophy of the plane their gates open on to - and if the balance of belief isn’t kept in the town, the town slips into the nearby plane. It’s a bad situation for everyone, because few of the folks in the towns really want that change. Encircling the Outlands is the Great Ring: where good and evil, law and chaos stand in opposition instead of water and fire, earth and air."

Which struck me because of one of the storylets at the “Nemesis” ambition : (taken from the wiki)

[spoilers]
[color=#ffffff]The Iron Republic[/color]
[color=#ffffff]'Oh… what a place. They say that there’s no law there that lasts a week. No ruler that lasts a day. They say that not even Hell tries to govern it. Paradise. I know one bloke says he’s been there. Mad as you like, but if you believe him, sometimes rain falls up and time runs backwards. Not even the tyranny of nature rules in the Iron Republic. Imagine that! True freedom for all!.[/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]

[color=#ffffff]The Iron Republic[/color][color=#ffffff]‘The Iron Republic. Delightful place. I have a summer house there. Not that there’s much of a summer. Unless there is. You see, much like the old country’ -he pauses to sigh nostalgically and sulphurously - ’ the Iron Republic was founded on the eradication of privilege. Laws are meant to be broken. All laws, even those of nature. Fascinating place. I miss it.[/color]
[\spoilers]
My conclussion was that this neathy location was indeed pure chaos . An phisical embodiment of an inmaterial concept. My implication here would be that , deep underground, we are going to the ideal world that Plato spoke of. A world were the idea has more weight than the matter in it’s composition and change. But still, a world that cannot live without the surface because the same ideas originated from up there. It’s a paradoxical relationship between the surface and the underground.

[color=000000][quote=narcissus_echo]I’ve heard the phrase ‘between stars’ one other place – during a rather … marvellous production for my ambition, combining the fire of the Correspondence and the passion of the opera.[/quote]

Apparently, the answer is yes, as the following snippet suggests:
The office of Mr Pages is up six flights of stairs. You can hear music from within. You knock and enter. It’s not a flautist - Mr Pages has a clockwork contraption that plays music! It switches the thing off as you approach, swaying a little. It seems flustered.

I’m certain that the Masters’ passion for music is a vital piece of the whole mystery that is the Bazaar, though what it means exactly I haven’t an idea yet…

You might want to have a look here: http://blog.failbettergames.com/post/You-Asked-We-Answer-Part-2.aspx
[/color][ul][li][color=000000]Mortimer Blunt asked:
How does travel between the surface and the Neath work? Dirigible? Is there a hole in the top of the Neath?
Two thoroughfares connect the Neath to the surface: the Travertine Spiral and the Cumaean Canal. If you’re looking for the direct route, take the Spiral. Those of modest means must trudge the stair that winds through a conjoined stalagtite and stalagmite, while the more well-to-do rattle briskly by on a comfortable funicular. If you’d prefer a more stately journey (and you’ve got someone to handle the locks for you) the Cumaean Canal is the route for you. It is a miracle of contemporary engineering, and a journey of dark, Plutonian beauty from the little Italian cave where it begins to the shores of the Unterzee. These will both be featuring in upcoming content.
[/color][/li][/ul]
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015