Betray friends for master connection?

So I realized that last year there was an option where you could betray your friends for connection: masters.

What happens to your friends if you do that? I’m in need of a few favor from masters, but I don’t know if it would be socially acceptable to betray them. Would they be hurt really bad? Would it leave any permanent mark?

Edit: Thank you everyone, I have betrayed you all and get about 1 cp for every four betrayals. Enough for my yacht - now, onward to get some bribes.
edited by zbr308 on 11/6/2014
edited by zbr308 on 11/6/2014

I think it just saps some Making Waves and gives them a point of scandal. It also adds you to a list of betrayers under their story qualities, so they’ll always remember what you did. Asking permission or being open about your intentions before anything happens might be a good idea.

I’d also recomend being clear about your intentions. Ask your friends “Can I betray you for some Connected: Masters?” If they say yes, go right ahead. If notm find someone else. Now I know of this I may do this myself if anyone is willing.

Though I have a question: if you betray someone for it, can they betray you back for some? I’m willing to trade some maiking Waves for them to get some connected masters if they will do the same. Just Pm me.

Thank you! Also, do I have to use the POSI option (which use up 2 menace) to get master connection? Or do I just need to find another POSI? Or POSI simply doesn’t matter?

I don’t think the type of confession matters, so you shouldn’t have to worry about that. I forget if the target needs to be a POSI, though I don’t recall that being an issue for me last year when I betrayed the vast majority of those who confessed to me. I’m willing to guess that the target needs to be a POSI, since two of my alts still trusted me and I’m pretty sure I’d have targeted them if I could. There was something, I know that much.

[quote]
Though I have a question: if you betray someone for it, can they betray you back for some? I’m willing to trade some maiking Waves for them to get some connected masters if they will do the same. Just Pm me.[/quote]

Yes. I did my betrayals pretty much the minute they opened so everyone could do the same to me and reclaim their lost Making Waves.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 11/1/2014

I’m using a note on my desktop to keep track of the confessions I’ve given/received so far. I sort them based first on mutuality, then by intent (i.e. if we’ve agreed to a mutual betrayal). I intend to default to consignment with non-mutuals. Otherwise it’s quid pro quo with betrayals (people who ask/offer beforehand are marked in the list and appreciated). It’s really quite lovely.

I’ve never had much of a problem generating Making Waves, but I would prefer folks to ask first just in case I’m close to Time the Healer and might be risking a loss of Notability. I’m at the point where Notability is maintainable, but would be irksome to grind up another point.

Well, anyone who’s received a confession from Zero Hunt is free to betray him, no hard feelings, and with no permission or trade of betrayals necessary. He’s a man of little shame, and he’s not really using Making Waves yet anyway.

Soran would prefer if you asked first, though. They could likely handle a few betrayals at their current level of Making Waves, but anything beyond that would risk some loss of Notability. They would also ask to be able to betray you back.

EDIT: And Kasha Cairn definitely isn’t using their Making Waves, so they’re free for betrayals too.
edited by Soran on 11/4/2014

I don’t remember the option giving any Connected: Masters last year. Are you sure you can get it this way?
Also last year there was no special list, I think, you just lost Trusted property. This year there is a list, yes.

Elnara is interested in mutual betrayal, should anyone wish to endear themselves to both her and the Masters.

[quote=Fhoenix]I don’t remember the option giving any Connected: Masters last year. Are you sure you can get it this way?
Also last year there was no special list, I think, you just lost Trusted property. This year there is a list, yes.[/quote]

It definitely gives Masters connection. I distinctly remember betraying people until I got up to 14 Masters last year (after that I decided to keep the remaining confessions secret).

Daaaamn. I must have forgotten. It’s pretty damn tempting, but I guess Trust with real people is cool in it’s own right.

[color=#ff9900]Just a heads-up: this year betraying confessions will grant Connected: the Masters less reliably. The standard result will give other rewards instead, and a rare-ish result will give a point of Connected: Masters.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]While Hallowmas is one of the best times to advance your Connected: Masters, we do want to keep its advancement balanced with other methods. We won’t be capping the amount of Connected: Masters you can gain via betrayals, but gaining it will be less common.[/color]

That’s fair. Last year seemed too easy, so I was expecting a cap this time around. Glad to hear it’ll be uncapped. :)

Anyone I have confessed to is free to betray me, I don’t have much use for making waves yet. Also, I will probably betray most people but pm me if you don’t want that, or put in the message thing. Thank you. :)

While my main, Mathieu Psmith, will be keeping faith with all secrets, my alt Vanessa Montblanc is open to mutual betrayal.

Anyone with my trust can feel free to betray it.

Anyone without my trust is encouraged to send me a confession request, so that they can earn and then betray it.

Hmm, I’m starting to think we need a semi-official &quotBetray Me&quot list, like we did with the Christmas Cards last year. Any volunteers?

As for me, I’ll probably consign all my confessions, but I will reprise any actual betrayals in kind. If you really have to betray me, try for Saturday after Time, the Healer has kicked in. And if anyone wants to be betrayed for whatever reason, let me know.
edited by MrUnderhill89 on 11/5/2014

Made a topic for it. Could be better, but hey. It’ll do.