Behind the Mirror [many spoilers]

They’re definitely Mesoamerican, then: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feathered_Serpent_(deity)

[quote=Byron Man]
So many hints. Touched by [color=rgb(153, 0, 0)]Finger[/color]work. The [color=rgb(153, 0, 0)]Fingerkings[/color]. The [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]true [/color][color=rgb(153, 0, 0)]lords[/color] of London.
[/quote]

Putting my metagaming hat on, perhaps they are an analogy to something that lurks the other side of the glass to Fallen London, twitching fingers controlling the lives of Fallen Londoners - us the players.

I’m in the Mirror Marches right now and one of my cards allowed me to look out from a mirror into the dressing room at Mahogany Hall. This increased my Touched by Fingerworks quality.

Just thowing that out there.

[quote=Martin Hopfield][quote=Byron Man]
So many hints. Touched by [color=rgb(153, 0, 0)]Finger[/color]work. The [color=rgb(153, 0, 0)]Fingerkings[/color]. The [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)]true [/color][color=rgb(153, 0, 0)]lords[/color] of London.
[/quote]

Putting my metagaming hat on, perhaps they are an analogy to something that lurks the other side of the glass to Fallen London, twitching fingers controlling the lives of Fallen Londoners - us the players.[/quote]

The one who truly controls Fallen London is the writers… They twitch their fingers at keyboard and things happen.

FBG: type on keyboards
The House of Chimes opens

You know, you Glass fellows are lucky. You get to uncover the secrets of mirrors and the Fingerkings, and the Shroud gets to uncover the dark and hidden secrets of how to bang on a table to fool old widows.

I’m really wondering how those of us in the Shroud who sided with the Cats will eventually get to make discoveries of our own. The Mirror Marches are full of very knowing cats, cats who are in Fallen London in their different feline forms, after all.

Well, life’s all about making the right choices, isn’t it? ;-P

On the bright side, the secrets of the Fingerkings are more hinted than revealed even to affiliates of the Glass. It was a storyline that actually left me with a dire thirst for more explanation, can’t wait for it to continue :s (Also: I’ll be happy to be in the Glass only if in the future there will be the chance to betray and hinder the Fingerkings BIG TIME).

Well, life’s all about making the right choices, isn’t it? ;-P[/quote]

Yeah, but I thought they were basically the same thing. I only picked the Shroud because I really like cats. I guess it’s a Guide Dang It moment.
edited by Twoflower on 6/29/2012

Well, life’s all about making the right choices, isn’t it? ;-P[/quote]
Are you quite sure Glass is really a good choice? You are not exactly just “discovering” secrets of the Fingerkings. You are… actively collaborating with them. And considering how far the Master went out of their way to smash mirrors… And the exhibit in the Labyrinth of Tigers…

[quote=Byron Man]
Are you quite sure Glass is really a good choice? You are not exactly just “discovering” secrets of the Fingerkings. You are… actively collaborating with them. And considering how far the Master went out of their way to smash mirrors… And the exhibit in the Labyrinth of Tigers…[/quote]

I’m heartily hoping for a spot of “for a few dollars more” here…

[quote=streetfelineblue]
I’m heartily hoping for a spot of “for a few dollars more” here…[/quote]
Are you quite sure it’s not “for a few echoes more”?

Not to completely change the topic, but one must wonder what the dearly beloved Mr Mirrors must think of this. He is, after all, in charge of mirrors and, if rumor is to be trusted, the owner of the House of Mirrors, where one can go into the Mirror Marches directly. On Mr Mirror’s Twitter, he has been questioned about the Parabola, but he simply shrugged off such accusations as rumor. Somehow he much be related, no matter how indirectly, considering he deals in such wares. Oh well. 'tis something to consider.

Also, it may be worth noting that [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Sorrow Spiders[/color] can go through mirrors, as told in the university story line. I forget if this is explained further, but is still… peculiar.

How clay men fit into this and how this all comes together is still beyond me. I’d love to see a revolt of claymen from Polythemere come from behind the mirror or something like that. Ah, but I dream.

[quote=Byron Man][quote=streetfelineblue]
I’m heartily hoping for a spot of “for a few dollars more” here…[/quote]
Are you quite sure it’s not “for a few echoes more”?[/quote]

LOL “To the heart, Duchess, to the heart! Didn’t you say that in the deepest matters of the Bazaar, you always look to the heart?”

Every time I see “fingerkings” or get a raise in my “touched by fingerwork”, I can’t help but think of the fingers of the Orz. I never actually played Star Control 2 but one of my former lovers did go on about them: hard-to-understand alien beings from below, who might possibly just be the parts of single a higher-dimensional being intersecting normal reality in multiple places.

Whether or not Echo Bazaar’s Fingerkings are influenced by the Orz fingers remains to be seen, I suppose.

I wonder if [color=#ffffff]the thing in the Palace cellar, behind the fifth door[/color], is related to the thing you can choose to set free in the Third Coil. It has an interesting reaction to[color=#ffffff] being given a mirror[/color], and a strange way of speaking.

[color=#ffffff]For our further speculation, a conversation with a Bawdy Cardsharp: 'That d–n fool of a captain got us lost, and we ended up in some uncharted, miserable Tomb-Colony. Worse than usual. Dust and death and… you don’t want to know. Three of them lording it over the colonies. Serpent, red bird, cat. But if you ever end up there, know this. They play games, and they don’t cheat. We only got out because the Cardsharp beat them at rummy.’[/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]
[color=#ffffff]And with a Northbound Parliamentarian: [/color][color=#ffffff]I got the captain drunk enough and he took us right there. They feared me, you know. They fear those who seek the Name. Perhaps we can undo everything they’ve built. Perhaps they know the Name. Perhaps they took it and hid it behind a black mirror. What do you think of that, eh?’[/color]
[color=#ffffff]
[/color]

[color=#ffffff]With all that’s been found on the serpentine and the feathered in this thread, I cannot help but wonder at the mention of serpent and red bird in a tomb-colony across the zee. And as for the black mirror … Well. John Dee had [/color][color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]such a mirror.[/color]

Following from Theodor, all of the new random characters talk about this island of serpent, bird and cat. It’s interesting seeing them together.

Speaking of snakes, as no one else has mentioned them: I have a dreadful habit of being attacked in the Museum of Mistakes by snakes coming out of mirrors and startling me.

More on the place called Parabola: Parabola is the enemy-kingdom. The Judgements determine what is. Parabola’s citizens are Is-Not. Sunlight destroys them, starlight corrodes them. Dreams come at night. Dreams thrive in the Neath. The Judgements cannot see - [li]

Found in the Shrine of the Deep Blue Heaven.

This might suggest a filled mirror catch box is a reliable weapon vs snuffers
edited by Waffles54 on 6/27/2013