Becoming bored with marriage

Having wined and dined the Celebrated Artists’s Model (as well as burying the odd rival), I have come to the point where she has happily accepted to be my wife.

And now she sits at my house - knitting for the children. (Well, there’s a lot of Orphans around)

And I’m bored.

I remember the runs around the Flit, the empassioned kisses in the Duchess’s Carriage and the heart-beating excitement where I first saw her.

But we never do anything any more - Celebrated friends promenade with their Acquaintances, the Orphans steal kisses through their mud, yet my celebrated Model, who I shared wonderful adventures with - now sits at home doing nothing.

I still love her - but there never seems to be a way to prove it to her - no taking her away to the Shroom hopping races - no way to buy her wondrous clothes (that I can borrow later) and I think this is a shame.

It’s almost as bad as people always referring to Jemima, my racing slug as a &quothe&quot. Gastropods can race regardless of their gender.

I was hoping that others might be able to provide information on how to bring the spark back to the marriage.

(Edit: OOC: I’ve had one promenade card, but with the amount of effort into getting some of the late game &quotbonuses&quot - a +1/+1 seems insanely lax when I have to burn Fate to give her a name - A &quotNight In By the Fire&quot which swaps Wine for Nightmare reduction / 5 turns would be lovely)
(While I’m on that point - don’t they have Rubbery Man models? Picking your spouse’s face would be a wonderful idea)
edited by Cerebrovore on 8/8/2015
edited by Cerebrovore on 8/8/2015

Unfortunately after marriage there is no content with any of the spouses as far as I know (Other than the cards that occasionally pop up). I agree though, there should be some more content after marriage. But I hear

[spoiler] that some of the fate-locked spouses are even worse. Apparently they don’t even have cards [spoiler]
edited by Deanscig on 8/8/2015
edited by Deanscig on 8/8/2015

(OOC: It does seem odd that the Friend with the Bohemian Sculptress is a far more romantic storyline than marriage; but it seems to be a media problem in general that peaceful relationships are seen as in inertia - where I doubt anyone in a long-term relationship sees it that way - possibly an ordered existence, but nowhere near inaction)
{Perhaps in order to show order yet not inaction, fixtures like comfort/transport/housing should provide a boost, yet limit other options - for instance, having a rug that really ties the room together gives +1 turn but requires you not to Make Waves above 20. But that’s just my opinion, man]

Bored with your Spouse? Welcome to my world of marriage with the Cultured Attachee (female version), who doesn’t exist in the game outside of that one single storylet branch you marry her in.

[quote=Cerebrovore](OOC: It does seem odd that the Friend with the Bohemian Sculptress is a far more romantic storyline than marriage; but it seems to be a media problem in general that peaceful relationships are seen as in inertia - where I doubt anyone in a long-term relationship sees it that way - possibly an ordered existence, but nowhere near inaction)
{Perhaps in order to show order yet not inaction, fixtures like comfort/transport/housing should provide a boost, yet limit other options - for instance, having a rug that really ties the room together gives +1 turn but requires you not to Make Waves above 20. But that’s just my opinion, man][/quote]

I know it was only an idea, but I wouldn’t touch the Making Waves like that. Even with all my BDR gear on, I still require Making Waves at 43 for my next point of Notability. Having an item that capped my MW would be catastrophic, even if that only happened while it was worn (as one mis-click when changing attire would destroy my efforts), and even an item which prevented you from gaining over a certain threshold would be horrid if I still had it on while attending to distributing Salon invitations.
So while I get where you’re coming from - please just NO, NOT THAT THING. :-p

Sounds a lot like my spouse - a character appears whose player appears to have gone offline in mid-December and never returned. ^_^

[quote=Kittenpox]
So while I get where you’re coming from - please just NO, NOT THAT THING. :-p[/quote]
(OOC:And that’s why I think it’d add something special; If you’re focussing solely on gaining Notoriety - and your spouse/children take up your time, you’d have a very real dilemma over whether to keep BRD / Notoriety or your Spouse - which is actually quite realistic, any relationship requires some sacrifice. It removes the idea of an end-game, and tilts it more towards a survival. )

Notability, not notoriety.

The thing is, it cuts off a lot of options. Without the right kind of equipment, reaching your first point of Notability requires 20 Making Waves. From there, the Making Waves requirement goes up by four each time. Becoming an Author requires Notability 2.
Imagine going to a prospective publisher and have them be like &quotYeah, we were almost willing to give you a publishing contract, except we heard you had a rug in your house and that’s just unacceptable.&quot :-p

Anyway, this is a moot point - surely FBG wouldn’t cut off the entire end-game.
Although, &quotSEEKING MR EATENS HAND IN MARRIAGE&quot is certainly a tempting storyline.

Dude, spoilers. Also, if that rug gave you a point of Bizzarre, it’d counteract the MW requirement.

It doesn’t cut them off so much as limit them to certain combinations. You could have a really good rug that lets you get Making Waves, but costs 500 Glim every week to keep it clean.

But being married as a +1/+1 is a total lack of options - and surely in opposition to the inclusive feel of Fallen London.
edited by Cerebrovore on 8/9/2015

[quote=Cerebrovore]
Also, if that rug gave you a point of Bizarre, it’d counteract the MW requirement.[/quote]

Giving one point of Bizarre in exchange for capping MW at 20 doesn’t sound like a good deal at all. The max BDR you can get (spending as much Fate as you can) for now is around 33. Including your rug, that’s 34.

Notability has a base cost of 20 MW plus 4 level per Notability, reduced by BDR. At Notability 9, you’d need 22 Making Waves to advance, but your rug caps your Making Waves at 20.

And if you have no BDR aside from the rug (+1 Bizarre), you can’t ever progress beyond Notability 1 because going to Notability 2 cost 23 MW.

That’s like giving the Overgoat a 5 Echoes discount while permanently stopping you from going above 10000 Echoes.

[quote=Cerebrovore]
It doesn’t cut them off so much as limit them to certain combinations. You could have a really good rug that lets you get Making Waves, but costs 500 Glim every week to keep it clean.[/quote]

Why can’t it be &quotspend 500 Glim to hire cleaners&quot whenever a opportunity card comes up for you to get MW instead? Upkeep is not a nice thing to deal with in most games.

In the hopes of avoiding the trappings of a dull marriage i wed my sister, sure a torrid love affair between two sisters makes the gossip columns blaze and was initially rather fun. But the fun is over, we both have desires elsewhere and frankly its a very sticky situation to find oneself.

Now we hardly speak other than the occasional spitting match when one of our assassins kills the others assassin and we have to start the damn thing all over again.

[quote=Estelle Knoht]

Why can’t it be &quotspend 500 Glim to hire cleaners&quot whenever a opportunity card comes up for you to get MW instead? Upkeep is not a nice thing to deal with in most games.[/quote]

It could be anything. As in &quotHere are some options&quot - not limitations. And MW/Not. is an upkeep anyway? Arguing statistics/balance is what creates these +1/+1 boosts - how about something that directly limits your options, but gives you benefits? You don’t have to have the rug, you could just have a +1/+1 carpet instead; but If I’d like an +3/&quotUpkeep or lose&quot rug, wouldn’t that be an idea?

And I apologise in advance for equating Spouses and rugs - but we’re talking OOC now ;)

[And as I think people haven’t noticed what I was alluding to: &quotThe Dude&quot by the Coen Brothers is about a man who loses his rug because he made waves, man]
edited by Cerebrovore on 8/9/2015