Batty Love [Here be spoilers]

I was wondering why won’t the Masters make their own love stories rather than collect them. Given that

the bazaar needs only love stories and not necessarily human love stories.

It is possible to convert humans into Masters as seen in the &quotA Long Road&quot destiny storylet. I’m pretty sure they can get some romantic notions going on with each other or with newly converted lady bats (assuming they’re all &quotMr&quot).

Besides, Mr Veils and Mr Irons could use some hugs.
edited by Pyrodinium on 12/28/2015

Dear God, you do realize someone out there is probably already drawing Master Rule 34 because of this post. We should probably all just gouge our eyes out now :P

What have I done!

Nightmares is increasing…

Scandal is increasing…

You’ve gained 34 x Page of Salacious Copy

In a way they might be doing that. In the latest Ambition:Nemesis update…

you discover that some of the Masters are responsible for your loved one’s murder, presumably to draw you down to the Neath.

[quote=Pyrodinium]the bazaar needs only love stories and not necessarily human love stories.

It is possible to convert humans into Masters as seen in the &quotA Long Road&quot destiny storylet. I’m pretty sure they can get some romantic notions going on with each other or with newly converted lady bats (assuming they’re all &quotMr&quot).[/quote]
Of course, love stories don’t have to be male/female. We’ve already seen other such stories in the Neath (just as an example: the love story between the king of the First City and the one who is now the King with a Hundred Hearts).

One of the things I really love about Fallen London is how inclusive it is in such matters. After all, we’re talking about space bats looking to collect love stories to help a space crab messenger who is in love with a star. Gender issues seem… not that important.

In a way they might be doing that. In the latest Ambition:Nemesis update…

[spoiler]
you discover that some of the Masters are responsible for your loved one’s murder, presumably to draw you down to the Neath.

[quote=Pyrodinium]the bazaar needs only love stories and not necessarily human love stories.

It is possible to convert humans into Masters as seen in the &quotA Long Road&quot destiny storylet. I’m pretty sure they can get some romantic notions going on with each other or with newly converted lady bats (assuming they’re all &quotMr&quot).[/quote]
Of course, love stories don’t have to be male/female. We’ve already seen other such stories in the Neath (just as an example: the love story between the king of the First City and the one who is now the King with a Hundred Hearts).

One of the things I really love about Fallen London is how inclusive it is in such matters. After all, we’re talking about space bats looking to collect love stories to help a space crab messenger who is in love with a star. Gender issues seem… not that important.
[/spoiler][/quote]

Well I guess that makes things even easier for them.

Indeed, London is still plagued by some of their experiments on manufacturing love stories.

I am quite curious about their life, if there’s more human traits hiding beneath their robes. They’re like the Nyarlathotep’s for the powers that be in the Neath.

[quote=Robin Mask]
Mr Veils, though, doesn’t need hugs so much as decapitation XD[/quote]

Mr. Veils just likes it rough… Oh dear… ::

[quote=Pyrodinium]I was wondering why won’t the Masters make their own love stories rather than collect them. Given that

the bazaar needs only love stories and not necessarily human love stories.

It is possible to convert humans into Masters as seen in the &quotA Long Road&quot destiny storylet. I’m pretty sure they can get some romantic notions going on with each other or with newly converted lady bats (assuming they’re all &quotMr&quot).

Besides, Mr Veils and Mr Irons could use some hugs.[/quote]

The University content made it clear that intentionally manufactured stories are useless to the Bazaar - and the Masters are all aware of the Bazaar’s goals, so either your love stories with them are of dubious value, or you are one hell of a Legendary Charisma to make them fall for you unintentionally.

Yeah, I don’t think those stories would be very useful, especially if it was deliberate rather than natural. It might even be a bad thing for the Bazaar if these romances end up making them hate each other to the point that they can’t even pretend to work together.

I think you misunderstand - I’m not saying the stories wouldn’t be very useful for us. It’d be highly entertaining and informative for the players. I’m speaking of the Bazaar, and its collection of stories. Masterly romances wouldn’t be very helpful for the Bazaar’s purposes.

I think I’d feel so left out if any of these romantic options became available one day.

The pain of playing an asexual and disinterested character.

I remember reading in someone’s journal that Mr. Spices explicitly stated that any Love Stories that are manufactured, even indirectly, are useless. Even if the two who fall in love do so on their own, if the Masters have a hand in the creation, it won’t work.

Major spoilers below. Read at your own risk. Don’t read if you want to learn about a certain high profile criminal on your own.

He was talking about how he created Jack of Smiles, so that people would become terrified for their lives and seek love to pass on their legacy before they die. Even though some people did, indeed, fall in love without any additional input from the Masters after Jack’s creation, any love stories caused by Jack are useless.

So, if two people falling in genuine love due to Master influences don’t work, Master love also should not work, regardless of how genuine it is.
edited by th8827 on 12/28/2015

[quote=th8827]I remember reading in someone’s journal that Mr. Spices explicitly stated that any Love Stories that are manufactured, even indirectly, are useless. Even if the two who fall in love do so on their own, if the Masters have a hand in the creation, it won’t work.

Major spoilers below. Read at your own risk. Don’t read if you want to learn about a certain high profile criminal on your own.

[redacted]
So, if two people falling in genuine love due to Master influences don’t work, Master love also should not work, regardless of how genuine it is.
edited by th8827 on 12/28/2015[/quote]
That sounds like you’re mixing things.

The manufactured love stories are useless is definitely a thing- it’s part of the university storyline- but i’m not sure how much so, since the rules are all nebulous and vauge. I’m not sure if setting up an ideal location counts. otherwise, any neathy love story is useless. Mr. spices said jack is a failure, but he didn’t elaborate on why, IIRC.

edited by Grenem on 12/28/2015

The manufactured love stories are useless is definitely a thing- it’s part of the university storyline- but i’m not sure how much so, since the rules are all nebulous and vauge. I’m not sure if setting up an ideal location counts. otherwise, any neathy love story is useless. Mr. spices said jack is a failure, but he didn’t elaborate on why, IIRC.

edited by Grenem on 12/28/2015[/quote]

Thank god! What the Neath really needs in order to spice things up is some spontaneous possibly gay evil space bat lovin’! If it tears apart the Bazaar even better! Life needs a little drama…

Hypothesizing on an Affairs of the Box storylet, the Silver Tree story and the other stories discussed here, I think one of the main rules of love stories is that they are not forced by external parties. If a certain love grows naturally then I think it’s good enough for the Bazaar regardless of species.

[quote=Psyche Labyrinth]
Thank god! What the Neath really needs in order to spice things up is some spontaneous possibly gay evil space bat lovin’! If it tears apart the Bazaar even better! Life needs a little drama…[/quote]

He ain’t called Mr. Spices for nothin’ ;)

Since Mr. Spices and Mr. Wines are in charge of love story acquisitions, perhaps someone should try hooking them up. Sure, they hate each other, but they may just be acting tsundere.

edited by th8827 on 12/29/2015

Actually, Mr. Spices did elaborate on why Jack was a failure: &quotThe Bazaar does not accept stories of such synthetically created romance&quot. You can see the whole storylet echoed on my profile: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Manu~Traveler?fromEchoId=3588249

Pyro would be very interested in such explanation. However, I can’t see any budding romances directly related to the Nemesis ambition.

Traveler would also be excedingly interested in such an explanation. Preferably heard from the soon-to-be-corpse of that responsible. But that may have had nothing to do with creating love stories. The goal might seems to have been attracting a series of people to the Neath, but how we were selected and the reasons why he wants us here are still very unclear

If this thread doesn’t lead to an RP in Fabularities I’ll be very disappointed.

I do think it’s worth noting that the Mr. Sacks interested in dreams thinks you’re flirting with it should you offer up a dream of mirrors… and says you’re doing a good job of it. Sounds to me like at least one Master might be open to a little amalgamy. :P