baaah! HELP! Accidently shared world...

Hey there!

I’m not sure if I clicked the wrong button during a midnight writing session, but apparantly my world is up for plays by other people. This would surely spoil the experience. Is it possible for me to ‘unshare’ it, short of using storylets to prevent access?

[quote=Azelea]Hey there!

I’m not sure if I clicked the wrong button during a midnight writing session, but apparantly my world is up for plays by other people. This would surely spoil the experience. Is it possible for me to ‘unshare’ it, short of using storylets to prevent access?[/quote]

Can you put the Key of Dreams on your intro? I had mine on the first branch so people could read the intro but not click through it. Didn’t you have it open for testing? How were those people getting in?

I had that happen too. I know I left mine open by accident for a couple days and several people got in and started liking my internal storylets. I flushed them out by creating my own version of the Key of Dreams (playtester’s passkey that I’m so happy to have learned about) and firing a must card for people who didn’t have stranger or the passkey and chucked them out. I did create a trophy achievement for them though!

Thanks that solution is almost perfect.

Aaaaand then seconds later I find the solution I was looking for. It is actually possible to put it back to ‘unpublished’ on the settings. Thanks though!

I believe “unpublished” only removes it from the world index. People can still get in if they know the URL. But you knew that,and it is kind of fun to know people want to play your world!
edited by HanonO on 1/3/2013

This is another situation where a “Shut the World Down Except For Admins” button would be useful.

Gordon: could you do this with a must card? Essentially you could “freeze” people by activating a must-always with Impossible! on the only playable branch for anyone without an admin quality with a message to the player that maintenence is being done.

To reopen you’d move impossible to the root requirements and remove it from the playable branch so the players could continue.
edited by HanonO on 1/4/2013

Not everyone would see the card but it would activate only for people currently playing.

I have “guards” in my game that patrol for people without the play tester quality to kick them out with a game end effect (after awarding a persistent trophy:-) )

That’s what we’ve done in the past, yes. But it’s kludgy.

[color=#009900]The very simplest way to get round this is to change the URL, and create a placeholder world saying ‘sorry, not open for business yet’ at the old URL. This also allows you to have, in effect, a pre-launch signup page - and when we put the broadcast functionality live, you’ll be able to message all those early signups on the placeholder world.[/color]

Can we change the URL? Does that leave remnants on the server? I infer you mean to create a /downformaintenece world and actually switch that world name with the real one under edit world? Sorry to be pedantic with my question but what you suggest sounds very powerful but fraught with peril.

Or is it not what im thinking and youre just basically like swapping room number signs?

You can change the URL (or more strictly the domain), yes.

But I don’t think the intention was to suggest this as a “down for maintenance” solution - rather as something you might do as a placeholder, before you released the world for the first time. As a down-for-maintenance option, I would agree it is a bit peril-prone; for example, anyone who created a character in the “down” period would create it in the wrong world.

The downside with the Must card approach is that you’d have to create one for each setting - and remember to turn them all on and off, which is itself not free of risk. But apart from that, it’s a nice solution, and the user experience is good. If you turn off BVWRF for the “Impossible!” branch then you don’t even have to display the distracting “Locked” button.

All in all I do agree it would be nicer if there were a Big Red Button to take a world down, but I wouldn’t have it particularly high on my wish-list. Opinions may differ :-)

Cheers
Richard

Right; if your game keeps players in settings for extended periods you’d need a card for each. They can be easily cloned though…perhaps you’d only need to invoke them in particular settings for maintenance instead of the entire game.