August Exceptional Story: The Shallows

It makes something harder later, but it won’t cause major problems.

Out of curiosity, what are the exact stats for the hat? I wound up getting the lantern, and I’m curious about just how good the hat is.

OK, so the storylet for approaching the boatman requires exactly 40 dark ripples, and going in after declining to kill myself apparently gives exactly 41, so there must be something else to do, perhaps in the opportunity deck?
At least I am a hopsidirean and can hop back to the world of living in a single action …

[quote=Jolanda Swan]

Max, I had the same issue a year ago, and then I died accidentally in the Carnival. So I decided to grind a cider, which took a year and a half but ended up being lots of fun. I imagine with the new Heists, expeditions etc it must be quicker still. So perhaps, save the story and go for it after the Cider?[/quote]

Caroline does not have the Cider yet, but that is not dissimilar to my line of thinking. Dying once kind of messed up my plan. Granted, given the fictional character Caroline is an expy of it is not quite the same thing as Jolanda’s case, but similar thinking.

I always find it interesting when people are so devoted to RP that they will cast aside the primary Exceptional Friendship benefit of guaranteed monthly stories just so their character does die in game. I can respect people who have a certain level of devotion, but, as much as I love Fallen London lore, it boggles the mind why someone would choose not to do something that they pay real life money for. I personally could never see myself willfully not doing content I basically paid five dollars for the sake of roleplaying, but I nonetheless still respect people willing to go that far.

In the story, out of curiosity, can you choose not to kill yourself? And if so, what happens then?

I’ve also managed to avoid Death so far and I’m in no hurry to meet him.

edited by Anne Auclair on 7/28/2019

I refuse to get a spouse despite the huge number of benefits I’d get (namely, BDR) because my character is asexual.

Same thing with tattoos. God, grinding up Notability would have been so much easier over the years.

1 Like

[quote=xKiv]OK, so the storylet for approaching the boatman requires exactly 40 dark ripples, and going in after declining to kill myself apparently gives exactly 41, so there must be something else to do, perhaps in the opportunity deck?
At least I am a hopsidirean and can hop back to the world of living in a single action …[/quote]

[color=#e53e00]
Hello, this was my fault! I fixed a bug and ah broke something else. If you die again, you’ll be able to progress. (Now there’s a sentence to take out of context.) Sorry about that![/color]

[quote=babelfishwars][quote=xKiv]OK, so the storylet for approaching the boatman requires exactly 40 dark ripples, and going in after declining to kill myself apparently gives exactly 41, so there must be something else to do, perhaps in the opportunity deck?
At least I am a hopsidirean and can hop back to the world of living in a single action …[/quote]

[color=#e53e00]
Hello, this was my fault! I fixed a bug and ah broke something else. If you die again, you’ll be able to progress. (Now there’s a sentence to take out of context.) Sorry about that![/color][/quote]

Thank you, I am in now!

Is suppose this is not much of a spoiler, since it makes sense: it is the end of this exceptional story … until you die.

Is suppose this is not much of a spoiler, since it makes sense: it is the end of this exceptional story … until you die.[/quote]
Wait, wha?

Is suppose this is not much of a spoiler, since it makes sense: it is the end of this exceptional story … until you die.[/quote]
Wait, wha?[/quote]

That’s literaly what the game says.
Nothing else is different. In both cases, you can do whatever, and the story won’t continue until you die. But it will still be there, waiting for you, pouncing on you as soon as you show up at the slow river. Pouncing with a storylet you can ignore.

[spoiler] I also have yet to see a second controller dream card since the first one. Shame, I wish I’d thought to grab a screenie.

What happened for me was, I jumped right into the Polite Invitation card after finishing the ES, and when I drew from the deck there was a gold rimmed card with a Carnival style mask. When I clicked on it, the resulting text was me getting visited by the controller in a dream, and her telling me she knew what I was doing and that I’d better quit while I was ahead, basically.

It was creepy as ****, I wish I’d gotten into the habit of echoing things. [/spoiler]

Oh, I got that too! Thanks!

A lot of people avoid dying for understandable RP reasons - the desire to avoid cross a threshold that definitely condemns them to the Netherworld. For me that’s not a huge deal. Even without dying, prolonged stay in the Neath in itself implants an aspect of illegality into ones body (the Empress’s Shadow established that even too long of a vacation can be fatal). My character has visited Hell, has eaten a ton of zee monsters, and has consumed enough honey to float Death’s boat, so it would probably be suicidal to return to the Surface at this point for anything but a quick sneak and peak (and even that would be extremely risky). Though dying would probably make that even more dangerous than it already is…

It’s just…not dying feels like an accomplishment, and not one I’m inclined to just throw away, you know? If death resulted from failing a challenge, bungling my menaces, or choosing a sacrificial trade off, that’s totally fair, that’s the game mechanics. But to be made to actively choose death after so long and successfully avoided? There’s a strong feeling of hesitation there.

This doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with the story requiring this for its continuation. If anything I really applaud the innovation being displayed here on multiple levels (seriously, it sounds great!). It’s just…the prospect of forever staring at a leering skull at the top of my menu is a little annoying and it would be nice to have an active opt out of the story (an early conclusion) for those of us who haven’t met the boatman and and have no wish to.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/29/2019

[quote=Anne Auclair]A lot of people avoid dying for understandable RP reasons - the desire to avoid cross a threshold that definitely condemns them to the Netherworld. For me that’s not a huge deal. Even without dying, prolonged stay in the Neath in itself implants an aspect of illegality into ones body (the Empress’s Shadow established that even too long of a vacation can be fatal). My character has visited Hell, has eaten a ton of zee monsters, and has consumed enough honey to float Death’s boat, so it would probably be suicidal to return to the Surface at this point for anything but a quick sneak and peak (and even that would be extremely risky). Though dying would probably make that even more dangerous than it already is…

It’s just…not dying feels like an accomplishment, and not one I’m inclined to just throw away, you know? If death resulted from failing a challenge, bungling my menaces, or choosing a sacrificial trade off, that’s totally fair, that’s the game mechanics. But to be made to actively choose death after so long and successfully avoided? There’s a strong feeling of hesitation there.

This doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with the story requiring this for its continuation. If anything I really applaud the innovation being displayed here on multiple levels (seriously, it sounds great!). It’s just…the prospect of forever staring at a leering skull at the top of my menu is a little annoying and it would be nice to have an active opt out of the story (an early conclusion) for those of us who haven’t met the boatman and and have no wish to.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/29/2019[/quote]

So you want the option to pay for the story and end it immediately, closing any opportunity to continue it in the future? I’m not sure that’s an oversight. If anything, people might pick that option and then be mad they paid for a story that just immediately ended.

[quote=MidnightVoyager]
So you want the option to pay for the story and end it immediately, closing any opportunity to continue it in the future? I’m not sure that’s an oversight. If anything, people might pick that option and then be mad they paid for a story that just immediately ended.[/quote]
Well, if I’m not going to continue by dying, then it’s just occupying space on my menu and I don’t want that.

Incidentally, does this story support the theory that each Month of the Calendar Council has a Master they particularly oppose? If the unnamed controller is indeed October, and she is indeed the dedicated opponent of Mr Mirrors, that puts her alongside February for Mr Iron and the old March for Mr Wines.

Goshdarn it. Calliope has like one boundary she refuses to cross if she can well help it, and that is the boundary of Death. Well that and the integrity of her soul, point being she does not want to lose her control of either of those. She’s seen what happens to those that die again and again, and while she remains achingly far from Immortal Cider, she’s not willing to loosen that barrier. That one ministry guy might be waiting for a long, long time…

The same as others, Lady Magpie would not like to give in to death so readily.
Well I have something to look forward to one day.
Based on the ominous text, I was worried they would force the matter with a surprise opportunity card.

For all we know, they still might.