August Exceptional Story: The Calendar Code

Honestly this is one of my favorite Exceptional stories, It really opened up some interesting things for the loreheads out there.

[quote=Optimatum]Alright, time to collect all the ending rewards.

Delivering the Papyrus to the cat: 1 Parabola-Linen Scrap, 12 Ostentatious Diamonds, plus more from epilogue?
Returning it: 1 Searing Enigma, 1 Touching Love Story, 2? Extraordinary Implications

Looting and lingering put me up 5 or 6 CP of Suspicion when I did it, and didn’t give me many benefits. Depending on how many of x items you have already, it may just lead to lots of &quotx hasn’t changed, because it’s higher than y&quot messages.

Pretty sure it’s just random as to whether you get the things, not based on how many you have. I got many &quotX is unchanged at Y&quot messages followed by getting the items on another attempt.
edited by Optimatum on 7/28/2016[/quote]
My suspicion jumped from 0 to 4 with one click, its a really unpredictable choice from what I’m seeing.

Alright, Does anyone have all 4 of the endings? I want to know what I get from each, and I’m really tempted to destroy it TBH.

[quote=Pnakotic][quote=RandomWalker]Love the story, and the lore. So each book corresponds with a member of the council then? Has anyone matched them up with what we know about the council?
[/quote]
My own thoughts and notes:

[spoiler]
Winter

[ul][li]An astronomer, familiar with the Judgements. Madame Shoshanna? Or the Enterprising Astronomer? Or the Shivering Relicker?[/li]
[li]An academic, interested in radicalizing students. The Professor Denunciata of Infernal Rarefactions?
[/li][li]A duelist or adventurer, used to fighting dirty. Most likely February.[/li][/ul]

Spring

[ul][li]A fool… or one who plays a fool? And talks in riddles. The Topsy King? Silas? The Capering Relicker?[/li]
[li]An expert on artillery and improvised ordinance. Colonel Pommery?[/li]
[li]A romantic, writing tales of strange love in the neath. Including the stone heart of the Manager? Of the Wry functionariy’s love lost over the dark waters? Sinning Jenny? Or Lilac? Who else would have access to the strange love stories the Bazaar covets? Maybe the Coquettish Relicker?[/li]
There is a mechanism in the room like the Liberation of Night, shutting out all light, and showing a soft purple glow over the map of london - perhaps connected to Irrigo and the cave of the nadir?[/ul]

Summer

[ul][li]Frivolous games and party planning are a facade over a desperate need for distraction. His Amused Lordship?[/li]
[li]A vision of a revolution - past or yet to come? Paris 1908? The Exceptional story of July?[/li]
[li]A volume of polemic, or the joy of argument… the Jovial Contrarian.[/li][/ul]
Another mechanism to shutter the room, an immense device with wheels of fire - another part of the Liberation machinery, or the Dawn Machine?

Autumn

[ul][li]A cryptographer analyzing the speech patterns of Mr Pages, and finding strange connections to cosmology. Curt Relicker?[/li]
[li]A collection of nightmares confessed to physician and priests, and an analysis of how to use them to manipulate. Dr. Schlomo? Or the Manager of the Royal Beth?[/li]
[li]A blank book, of a future yet to be written. But whose deeds will be recorded, and who will record them?[/li][/ul]
Another darkness mechanism, and a ceiling of surface stars. A return to the surface, or a return to the stars (The Road destiny)?

I’m kind of intrigued by being able to fit the Relickers into some of these roles - though the Coquettish Relicker fits a little awkwardly, the others all make pretty good sense.
[/spoiler][/quote]

Not much to say about the notes, but the member who is expert in artillery is most certainly April, she appears in the Bag a Legend! ambition. His Amused Lordship strikes me more like someone who goes to parties, rather than someone who plans them, but who knows.
edited by Professor Strix on 7/29/2016

I have a question about the endings.

Do any of them give or increase Contributed to the Liberation of the Night?

This is another reason why I am so grateful for the forums, because I had no idea about any of the hinted lore or implications.

It doesn’t help that my character has no connections to the Duchess and even fewer to the Anarchists. This story for her was an excursion to a private library with some very odd books and papers which were eventually returned without incident.

So did mine; odd that we’d both get the same 10CP from a truly &quotunpredictable&quot choice, n’est pas?

I had Suspicion jump from 6 to 9, which was awkward.

It was worth it, though, for what followed. I was thrown into the Arrested! sotry, used “A Master’s Voice” to get out, and was returned to the Special Collections Room.

In other words, the Special COnstables broke down the door, seized me, rushed me to court, and Mr. Pages hurried in and stopped the judge at the last moment. Then, the Special Constables rushed me back into the secret room, repaired the door, and resumed the pantomime of trying to break in and catch me.

Mr. Pages is just batty enough that I could see that being the true chain of events. (And yes, I stopped and looted a few more times before leaving for good. :D)

A question about July’s book. Are there different versions or just one?

@Anne Auclair: I can confirm there are different versions; or rather it appears there are two; here’s what was get if you haven’t done the thing you did.

In other news, here’s a thing nobody seems to have picked up on:

The storylets the library appear to be arranged in ‘chronological’ order from top to bottom. So the Winter room goes December-January-Febuary, the Spring room goes March-April-May, and so on. This would imply that the Jovial Contrarian is August, and that the player character may become November.

[quote=Gilphon]
In other news, here’s a thing nobody seems to have picked up on:

The storylets the library appear to be arranged in ‘chronological’ order from top to bottom. So the Winter room goes December-January-Febuary, the Spring room goes March-April-May, and so on. This would imply that the Jovial Contrarian is August, and that the player character may become November.

I really like this idea, unfortunately I blew through this without making the connection between the months and the 3 books per room, did anyone echo them all in order? Or can anyone give a brief summary of each book?

Well…[spoiler]so much for the Contrarian being an inexperienced dilettante who exists on the fringes of the Revolutionary movement. And needing to pass a Ruthless check to understand his book on rhetoric, well, that tells us he’s no pushover. He takes argument very, very seriously. Now I wonder if he really could murder somebody with just his words.

The Calendar Council is more and more coming to resemble the Master they oppose. There are fewer then there seem to be. Some are utterly dedicated to the Liberation, while others…have alternative plans. And one troublesome doubter has been killed.[/spoiler]

btw, I effortlessly beat most of the book checks and I’m curious about the failure texts? ^_^
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/29/2016

I failed to Forceful and Heartless checks the first time. Nothing particularly interesting happened.

I also echo’d all the book in order, starting here (Except for the Spring room, which I appear to have forgotten to do that for, and the last two in the Autumn Room, which are reversed).

From what I can recall of the ones I missed, though:

March was some musings about playing the fool, April was notes on weapon making, and May was a clever disguised cypher. Which, as noted elsewhere in the thread, matches what we’ve heard about March and April.

I’d be very surprised if the Contrarian was on the Calendar Council, given his whole deal of NOT wanting the Liberation to occur.

Well, Mr Fires, Mr Irons, and Mr Stones are all independently sabotaging the Bazaar’s project. So…

Indeed. I’ve never assumed the Calendar Council was a particularly cohesive group; everything seems to point to each of them having their cell of supporters, we plenty of disagreements about each other’s priorities and methods happening.

With that in mind, it wouldn’t be terribly surprising if they weren’t unanimously on board with the Liberation. Certainly nothing in Lost in Reflections gave me the impression July was going for LoN.

And the Summer room in this story has a Dawn Machine display mirroring the Liberation one in the Spring room- suggesting that those two things are thought of in comparable terms among the Council, despite those two being very mutual exclusive plans.

How can you be surprised?! He is the Contrarian. It’s right there in his name.
edited by Professor Strix on 7/29/2016

Destroying the papyrus got me

a Searing Enigma and 60 Relics of the Second City.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Leonard~von~Hoffenburg?fromEchoId=9209022

[quote=Gilphon]Indeed. I’ve never assumed the Calendar Council was a particularly cohesive group; everything seems to point to each of them having their cell of supporters, we plenty of disagreements about each other’s priorities and methods happening.

With that in mind, it wouldn’t be terribly surprising if they weren’t unanimously on board with the Liberation. Certainly nothing in Lost in Reflections gave me the impression July was going for LoN.

spoiler[/quote]

The Calendar Council has assassinated members before if their ideologies were conflicting with the rest of the Council. In regard to the spoiler:

There was also a starry sky on one of the ceilings and I highly doubt they want that to remain the case. Just because they have the details of the Dawn Machine doesn’t mean they’re interested in it.

I think it goes to show that the Council is not single-minded by any means.

I’m also intrigued by the description of machinery shown in Summer room as well; is it the details of a device meant to bring darkness, or something different altogether? &quotWheels of Fire&quot make me think of an entirely different sort of device, and one that would certainly turn the Order of things on its head in different ways…