August Exceptional Story: The Calendar Code

I really loved the story because of the implications it has on the greater story of the game. Warning Spoilers!

First, the library is probably a repository of knowledge for the Calendar Council and they are likely using it as a staging ground for the Liberation of Night. The star map in the Autumn Room also implies they are well aware of the Judgements and are planning actions against them.
Second, the translation of the glyphs reveal the Duchess intentionally poisoned her husband, as apposed to accidentally getting bitten by a snake, and her affair with the scribe is likely what drew the Masters to the Second City in the first place. It’s obvious she sent the one-eyed bengel to hire you to steal the last remaining evidence of her crimes, and Mr Pages likely wants it as blackmail material since the Masters despise her.

edited by loredeluxe on 7/28/2016
edited by loredeluxe on 7/28/2016

I have a question to those who finished the storyline - i don’t want to lock myself out of content

In the spring room, does the mechanism changes something only for this room? After reading books am I safe to trigger it without loosing next room texts, or should I go through the door and explore other Seasons first?

You’re safe, it only effects that one room.

[quote=Johanna de Silentio]I have a question to those who finished the storyline - i don’t want to lock myself out of content

snip…[/quote]
You’re safe to proceed.

Triggering one room does not lock content in any other rooms.

How much would one be missing out on if this is their first exceptional story? Is the knowledge from the other revolutionary stories necessary to get the full experience? If it is, could someone PM with the basics so I don’t feel too lost? Thanks :)

There’s an option that unlocks if you played one of the previous stories, but each story is self contained. The seasons just give items that work together for an extra bit next month.
edited by suinicide on 7/28/2016

I have just completed the whole story except the final choice, can’t decide at the moment… The library is terribly informative and my mind is filled with wild guesses.
I’m not pretty sure about that all but could every book be assigned with a certain month?

In the Winter room, the book about astronomy seems a little December in the Gloom Destiny of Distant Light. The thinking in bloodstained volumn is as savage and violent as February. In the room of Spring, the book of nonsense can somewhat echo March, the guy described by the Bazaar as a &quotlolloping buffoon&quot. The folio of ordnance tied with black ribbon could be associated to the figure of April in Bag a Legend, couldn’t it? For the room of Summer, there is an obvious choice for July and the Lost in Reflections, an account of an uprising, that is. For the volume of polemic, all that contrary arguments, sounds like the Jovial Contrarian, can he be June or August? Neither of them has appeared. I have no idea of the identities in the room of Autumn, none of the autumn months has appeared directly.

EDIT: In the end I returned it, expecting more information about LoN but there is nothing new. Did anyone deliver the papyrus to our dearest Pages?
edited by Fadewalker on 7/28/2016

I elected to end the story by taking the option unlocked by speaking with the translator. It is not obvious to me that this option will add anything to my Opportunity deck (though obviously I can’t deduce that yet), but I feel petty for being concerned about that when I made the choice as a matter of what I thought best. I enjoyed the story, and I don’t want to play a story for a different mechanical outcome after concluding it the way I like it.

I suppose what I’m getting at is to ask whether Exceptional Stories like this typically have a lasting effect (like an Opportunity card). I know I have one from the Gift (which I’d be tempted to replay in order to make some… deliberate mistakes, rather than to ‘optimize’ the outcome) but if such rewards are atypical I’d be more content with my decisions.

There hasn’t been a permanent card added to your deck from an ES. One story can get you a lodging, and Flint has a whole area, but I think those are the only two long term effects.
edited by suinicide on 7/28/2016

Her Grace wasn’t a very nice person long ago.

All in all, this story does not have some unique rewards,but it is rich with lore, and that is the best thing ever.

How bad of a time is one likely to have if they decide to loot and linger? One of my longtime character objectives is never visiting the boatman and never making a return trip to New Newgate.

I went from 0 to 4 suspicion. So about 10 cp minimum?

Looting and lingering put me up 5 or 6 CP of Suspicion when I did it, and didn’t give me many benefits. Depending on how many of x items you have already, it may just lead to lots of &quotx hasn’t changed, because it’s higher than y&quot messages.

[quote=Fadewalker]I have just completed the whole story except the final choice, can’t decide at the moment… The library is terribly informative and my mind is filled with wild guesses.
I’m not pretty sure about that all but could every book be assigned with a certain month?

spoiler

EDIT: In the end I returned it, expecting more information about LoN but there is nothing new. Did anyone deliver the papyrus to our dearest Pages?
edited by Fadewalker on 7/28/2016[/quote]

Also, it bears mention that one of the special books, located in the Autumn room, is left black. Whether to signify an empty slot in the council, or to mislead any investigators, it contains nothing.

edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 7/28/2016

Lady, you act like people don’t routinely dunk your kid in the river - stop hitting me with your umbrella.

I chose to return the story to the library - Dirae Erinyes was worried that either of the parties would choose to destroy it. They are sentimental about stories. Especially about love stories. Still feeling pretty good about that.

Love the story, and the lore. So each book corresponds with a member of the council then? Has anyone matched them up with what we know about the council?

Using July as an anchor (a good match between book and character, and we have a definitive link), we know that the violent book in Winter ties with February and likewise April’s book links with weaponcrafting. These are good correlations with the characters concerned. I don’t know much about the rest of the council, but it seems we have hints about their personality and inclinations. Can anyone offer more information about the other members?

This is cool because I used to work in a special collections library! Haven’t finished yet, but enjoying the atmosphere.

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]

Also, it bears mention that one of the special books, located in the Autumn room, is left black. Whether to signify an empty slot in the council, or to mislead any investigators, it contains nothing.[/quote]

Not after Flesh-Stick got through with it :P

This is definitely one of the greatest Exceptional Stories yet. I especially loved the agency it offered, the lore, and the way it rewarded keeping stocks of items and having certain quirks. My only complaint, if you can even call it that, is the ambiguity of the “Return” option at the end. More like this!