Attempting to Understand Devils (SPOILERS)

If the glim only melts when the light of the sun hits it, perhaps it’s possible, with enough caution, to carefully maintain a small amount of honey, sealed well enough to never meet the light of day until you sip it.

Surely the precautions would be much more then what I hinted at?

I mean assuming judgments sunlight follows the same laws of physics as sunlight in our universe it’d actually be pretty simple to do, a sealed metal box would be enough.

But i wouldn’t count on it being that simple.

With the level of technology, “sealed” isn’t going to prevent every photon. Moonlight is sunlight after all.

1. moon is not exactly sealed
  2. reflected sunlight has different physical properties than direct sunlight (the big one is polarisation, iirc) - and that’s not even getting into the metaphysical.

It doesn’t make a difference, a metal box is a faraday cage and will block electromagnetic radiation. (Except maybe at very short wavelengths)

But it’s also pretty clear this world and Fallen London’s world do not follow the same laws of physics, despite the superficial similarities, and I can’t imagine the Judgments would take kindly to investigating ways to subvert their authority.

Visible light [1] has pretty short wavelength …
(Unless you mean “shorter than the distance between atoms in the metal”, in which case - yes, solid metal tends to block light just by being solid; except when the box is not closed, which is when moonlight vs. direct sunlight might make a difference)

Visible light [1] has pretty short wavelength …
(Unless you mean &quotshorter than the distance between atoms in the metal&quot, in which case - yes, solid metal tends to block light just by being solid; except when the box is not closed, which is when moonlight vs. direct sunlight might make a difference)[/quote]

Yeah it’d need to be small enough that it can slip between atoms without hitting them, which is way passed the visible spectrum. (You can tell, because aluminum foil isn’t transparent :P)

Starlight is a problem too, that’s not even reflected.

You’d need some sort kind of airlock type thing (light lock? :P) to go inside the box to use it.

There’s also no guarantee that it actually works like this, soooooo.

Wait, I’ve got it, and it’s possible with the tech of the time.

Hammer out gold until it’s slightly larger then a coin, and thin enough to manipulate.

One spoon of honey into the middle, just enough for somebody without resistance.

Fold the coin over, your making a golden ravioli shape.

Gently hammer the edges shut with a heated hammer while ice rests on the center, keeping the honey from scortching. The goal here is to make the metal sealed absolutely.

You’ll just EAT it, gold and all.

I’d still transport it in a lead box, and only take it to the surface on a thickly clouded night, when the stars can’t be seen, after moonset on a new moon night.
edited by ICountFrom0 on 10/13/2014

Does anyone know what Devils think of Lacre?

And the ramble that inspired that question: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic9385-forum-game-ask-the-character.aspx?messageid=75612&Page=4#post#post75612
edited by dragonridingsorceress on 11/10/2014

There was a theory that the devils are the “bees of the lamplighter rose” in this thread right? Well, Nemesis disproves that rather thoroughly. You go through at least two beehives of lamplighter bees, and they are well, bees.

I also find it difficult to believe the Devils are appearing as Devils to make Londoners more comfortable. Devils are cunning after all, and any plan that includes “pretend to be the evil figures of their religion, who their gospel says seek to damn and destroy mankind, in order to make them trust us!” is the opposite of cunning. In addition, I feel it would have come up if they changed appearances for every city. A conversation in SS also seems to confirm they have existed longer than humans themselves (as they do in Christian lore), and that they harvested souls from protohumans.

All in all, I see little reason to doubt they are the devils of Christianity.

We’ve overlooked something terribly obvious. Devils have terrible fashion sense, right?

[quote=dragonridingsorceress]We’ve overlooked something terribly obvious. Devils have terrible fashion sense, right?

[/quote]
To them, it was us who have terrible fashion sense.

It needs to be mentioned that at least something like heaven/angels in the fallen london universe, but they haven’t been active for a long time. If you talk to the Bishop of st. Fiacre i believe, he will mention about them having not come down. the recent exceptional story with the train ride to hell also brings in anecdotes about them.

I’d still say there’s no actual evidence to it, just hellish phrasing.

A more interesting piece of the Helltrain story, I think, is likely the reason for their need for souls. Hell burns souls in their Law-Factories, creating new Law. Souls being judgement spores, it all clicks together, I think.

All I want to know is, after trading my soul for a fabulous diamond TWICE, …

… why do they spend it on really cheap and trivial things?! Oh, here’s 312.5 echos. Lemme just spend your soul on a cabbie, or popcorn, or blah blah blah…

[quote=Tystefy]All I want to know is, after trading my soul for a fabulous diamond TWICE, …

… why do they spend it on really cheap and trivial things?! Oh, here’s 312.5 echos. Lemme just spend your soul on a cabbie, or popcorn, or blah blah blah…[/quote]

I mentioned this in another posts about Devils, but during when competing with Virginia over the discovery of the Correspondence Stones she admits she was more interested in the hunt than actually getting the Stones themselves.

So it wouldn’t be inaccurate to say the Devil just really wanted your soul but once he had it no longer cared what became of it.

A more interesting piece of the Helltrain story, I think, is likely the reason for their need for souls. Hell burns souls in their Law-Factories, creating new Law. Souls being judgement spores, it all clicks together, I think.[/quote]
That’s… actually a really sensible theory.
Now the question is, why do the Devils wish to change the Laws at all?

A more interesting piece of the Helltrain story, I think, is likely the reason for their need for souls. Hell burns souls in their Law-Factories, creating new Law. Souls being judgement spores, it all clicks together, I think.[/quote]
No the bishop pretty much mentioned something about heaven/angels, mostly that they’d been absent for a long time. It comes up during Diocesan Intrigues.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Reviarda?fromEchoId=1386118

No the bishop pretty much mentioned something about heaven/angels, mostly that they’d been absent for a long time. It comes up during Diocesan Intrigues.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Reviarda?fromEchoId=1386118[/quote]
The Bishop is saying it’s embarrassing for the Church that the devils are around but angels haven’t shown up. That’s not evidence that angels exist, just evidence that the Church believes in them.

(The bit about &quotthat blessed place&quot and partaking isn’t actually about angels either, I think. From the phrasing it sounds like the Bishop is referring to the Garden and, like the other Snuffers, is desperate to return.)

When we talk devils we tend to think ‘yellow eyes and fedoras’ but how do Goat demons fit into all of this? Are they the same creatures as devils just wearing a different shape, a piece of Hellish wildlife or something completely unrelated? As far as I know we haven’t heard anything.

We also need to consider that devils don’t seem to work on human time. They wear fedoras, reference Paris and have a phonograph that plays jazz in the Century Exhibition. Either they are bizarrely predictive or they are not constrained by time like humans and furthermore are capable of travelling backwards through it to at least some degree.

I mean they did rebel against the laws of physics so anything goes I suppose.