Archeologist and the new Forgotten Quarter content

Next Thieves Cache the message changed to about being able to understand the language of the 4th city, and after the next I noticed the next Expedition was unlocked and my Archaeologist was now 2, after doing a 20 Expedition (a poor return, a collection of curiosities and 4 Aeolian Screams, but at least I could break the Collection up to help fund the next Expedition) the message changed again and on checking I had Archaeologist 3. I suspect the message changes for each level and is the only overt indication that Archaeologist has changed, also that the Thieves Cache provides 1 cp, and the other 2 cp.[li]

Note that archeologist is locked, so even without the impossible and with an eyeless skull, the last one is out of reach.

What kind of loot is everybody getting from the expeditions? It seems that no matter which expedition I take, I get the Hooded Hawk treasure. I even got it from the fate-locked expedition. How does that make sense? I spend 10 supplies to get the same exact thing as when I spend 20 supplies or more. Shouldn’t higher level expeditions pay out better loot?[li]

the RNG is hating you, that’s what’s happening presently, Rowan. I’ve gotten everything I’ve seen described as a reward so far except for nightwispers. I’ve seen Jade, Diamonds, Storm Threnodies, Curiosities, a pair of skulls, and a vial of tears, that I can easily recall without looking.[li]

EDIT: Also Airag. see what I mean about remembering?
edited by Finvara on 6/27/2013

No skulls or tears (yet); but also no hooded hawks, whatever they are. Airag from the fate temple.

I’ve gotten Airag from the non-Fate locked temple. The Hooded Hawks aren’t a new item, but just Jade, Touching Love Stories, and a Puzzling Map.

Edit: Was the Vial and Tears and pair of Eyeless Skulls just from the Uttermost Sky? I really wanted to get one of those two rewards in my four runs, but the RNG decided to just give me the regular rewards. Hopefully I’ll have better luck with the later expeditions.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 6/27/2013

Just got my own Eyeless Skull from the Non-Fate 20 Supply Expidition, and I was happy - at first… Damn thing is cursed. My card slots are bloated with threatening cards that will lower my attributes. So I figured that I would try getting 5 and getting the “Drenched Cinders” for my Mantlepiece in the hopes of profiting completely whilst getting rid of them. If the cave of the nadir opens up before then, all the better.

The pair of skulls and the Tears I got on two of my three runs int he fate-locked temple. The middle run got me airag which I rerolled into a collection of curiosities and then rolled around on the floor cursing about.

really i get the impression rerolling is rarely a good idea because it never improves your treasure, only degrades it or makes it equal (although there aren’t many treasures of roughly equal value anyway)
Look on the bright side, though, at least it wasn’t An Instrument, the treasure worth the least (it’s un-rerollable, because it’s dead last on the loot list), although it’s close (16e vs 14.5e)
edited by Spacemarine9 on 6/27/2013

Ouch. Still, you did get something really really cool rather than just the mundane rewards for two runs. Better than what I got for sure. ^^ Gambling on the Unpredictable Treasure never seemed like a great idea to me, though it’s a shame it worked out so badly for you.

Edit: I got the Hooded Hawk, Instrument, and I think 2 Searing Enigmas from my runs. Something like that anyways. Only thing I have to show for it is Archeologist 4 and a couple Silent Souls.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 6/27/2013

I got a bottle of Airag from my trip with the priest. Has anyone received a brace of Skulls or the Tears from a non-Fate-locked expedition?

Now up to two menace cards. ARGH. OUT, DAMN SPOT! OUT I SAY![li]

(I love this.)

It looks like it’s using a random treasure table, with your expedition determining the max reward, but the floor not changing.

So, for example, the first-level expedition might give you a random chance of receiving one of Treasures 1 through 5, while the second-level expedition is picking from Treasures 1-10 and the fate-locked expedition is picking from Treasures 1-15. If you’re unlucky, you could end up receiving the same treasure from each expedition, but the higher-level the expedition, the higher the maximum.

I’ll admit that I, too, was pretty disappointed on just getting a normal treasure from the fate-locked expedition, but given my usual luck, chasing a luck-based reward to a fate-locked story is likely to end up with me broke and weeping at my keyboard, so I’ll just have to hope that there will be other means of obtaining them.

Maybe the Cave of the Nadir will have the same pool of rewards as the Fate-locked Expeditions? Then you could play the Deep Blue Heaven shrine until you get an Eyeless Skull, and use it to gamble for a reward without spending money for each attempt. This is assuming that we can get an Unpredictable Treasure through it.

[li]Somebody check my math on Supplies:
[li]A run through Corpsecage Island (supposing you pick all the options that give you Prelapsarian Notes, and none of the options that give you other types) takes 21 Actions and gives you 312 Prelapsarian Notes, 12.42 Echoes of other goods, and a chance to get some more with the final luck check. (If &quotpretty good odds&quot is 70%, that’s averaging another 12.) If you spend 20 Actions at Zee per loop, and 32 Actions trading in all those Notes, that’s 73 Actions for 32 Supplies, or .438 Supplies/Action. (This ignores that you’ll need to spend one extra Zee-voyage returning to London, as well as any extra Notes you get from the Fleet of Truth. And most of those &quotother goods&quot are Cryptic Clues, which you could convert up to Appalling Secrets and to Supplies that way, but the Nightmares hit there’s pretty nasty.)

Or you can spend 50 Actions on Unfinished Business to get 6000 Jade, 6 Actions to turn that into 6600 Whispered Secrets, and 33 Actions converting to Supplies. That’s 89 Actions for 33 Supplies, or .371 Supplies/Action… but that’s ignoring the semi-rare success on the conversion where you get 2 Supplies. If you hit that 20% of the time, the Supplies/Action is even with Corpsecage; if it’s more often than that, it’s better. Do we have a decent idea of the odds on that success?

It’s definitely higher than 20%. I’d guess maybe 35,40%ish. I don’t know exactly, but it’s definitely a noticeable bit higher than 1 in 4.[li]

Are you sure about that? I did around 30 convertions of Wispered Secrets to supplies and did not get a single rare yesterday.

Sounds like the RNG dislikes you unusually. I generally hold that it’s between 25 and 35, but I can’t be sure. I’ve also done an absolutely absurd number of conversions.

Out of 195 attempts, I have received 2 supplies 80 times or ~41% of the time.

That’s really not enough to make any claims with meaningful confidence, however, and also presumes that the rare success rate has remain unchanged. (I was about 50-50 in the beginning, which might have just been good luck or it might mean that the rate was higher at the beginning.)

[quote=Tesuji]Out of 195 attempts, I have received 2 supplies 80 times or ~41% of the time.

That’s really not enough to make any claims with meaningful confidence, however, and also presumes that the rare success rate has remain unchanged. (I was about 50-50 in the beginning, which might have just been good luck or it might mean that the rate was higher at the beginning.)[/quote]

I’d go with &quothigher in the beginning&quot, likely to make it easier for us to get supplies so we could actually playtest the content. Once there were enough people through that the Expeditions were relatively stable bug-wise, the ease of gaining extra supplies via rare success was nerfed to intended levels. (Pure speculation on my part, but if I was designing content that operated on the Expedition’s &quotSupplies&quot model, that’s probably how I’d do it.)
[li]