April's ES: The Heart, the Devil and the Zee

[quote=PSGarak]I just finished the Epilogue, significant question about the last exchange.

[spoiler]In case it matters, my choice makes the Nurse and her Admirer a couple.

The Garrulous Devil said that another recognized the value of my soul before he did. I want to know if people that still have their soul received the same text. The meaning would change quite a bit.

In case someone wants the Echo: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/PSGarak?fromEchoId=11436272 [/spoiler]
edited by PSGarak on 3/30/2017[/quote]

I received a different text there. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/J.%20Ward%20Dunn?fromEchoId=11445881

[quote=Pnakotic]It was not so long a story as some, nor were there as many mechanics or reveals, but I enjoyed it for the well written characters, the clarity with which I could choose my direction, and one of the most delightful honey-dreams I’ve had in a long time. It’s always best when I feel I can open my heart to the storylets and choose naturally. This has been very satisfying. I’ll take a short story, and a sweet one, over a confusing grind carousel any day.

And nice to see the urchin with the birthmark again. I’m glad he’s well.[/quote]

I really enjoyed the honey dream sequence as well. It made me think that it was set under the water of the Mirror Marches.

I got thrown out of the honey dream and back to Veilgarden as soon as I went to speak to the Poet. Is that how it’s supposed to work or is it a bug?
edited by Kukapetal on 3/31/2017

I remember that option saying something like that would happen.

so you don’t actually get to speak to him once you meet him in the dream?

No you get to talk to him, you just need to leave the dream.

I really enjoyed the humanity and simplicity of this story, though the only decision that gave me any pause was how to advise her sister. I will say I found it odd how little you’re able to consult the nurse herself on what she wants, but it was a nice and sweet story overall.

looking at people’s journals, it looks like you do get to speak with him in the dream, but only briefly. I clicked on the button to go talk with him, and the dream immediately ended and I found myself back in Veilgarden, so it’s probably a minor bug. I suppose I can live with it as long as it doesn’t break the story.

[quote=Pnakotic]
I received a different text there. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/J.%20Ward%20Dunn?fromEchoId=11445881[/quote]
Thank you!

I’m a little surprised there isn’t unique text for the Devil commenting on the player’s soul if it’s stained.

Has anyone echoed the result when the Nurse stays with the Sister, but refuses both suitors?

This story struck a chord with me, it felt like a bit of a departure from the types of choices you are confronted with but in a satisfying way. I decided the Nurse would be happiest out at zee, but I fretted over my decisions much more than in most other places of Fallen London.

That said, I am wondering about one thing. I still have a copy of &quotNotes on the Commercial Affairs of a Devil&quot in my inventory, but I had assumed I would be handing that over during the story. Very unfortunately at one point I managed to accidentally double-click my way past a bunch of text, and I had just long enough to see it was a long one. I’m wondering what I missed in there, and if it had anything to do with it. Does everyone still have this paper after the conclusion?

At the end of each season they release a tie in, which often uses items given in previous stories. These notes are almost certainly one such item.

I thought it might just be that, but I ended last month’s story without receiving any tie-in items, only the 2 Clay Surgeries quality. So if that’s the case I’m short an item. A helpful IRC friend pointed out they received ‘A Story of Clay Oppression’, something which I didn’t get. I’ll pursue this elsewhere so as to not derail the thread. Thanks :)

Edit- Missed a click. It’s all sorted :) That character only went through the Clay Arm story late yesterday.
edited by Alysian on 4/1/2017

I thought it might just be that, but I ended last month’s story without receiving any tie-in items, only the 2 Clay Surgeries quality. So if that’s the case I’m short an item. A helpful IRC friend pointed out they received ‘A Story of Clay Oppression’, something which I didn’t get. I’ll pursue this elsewhere so as to not derail the thread. Thanks :)

Edit- Missed a click. It’s all sorted :) That character only went through the Clay Arm story late yesterday.
edited by Alysian on 4/1/2017[/quote]

What click? Where? I just went though the story and I don’t think I got that …

This Exceptional Story was a surprising one for me. At first, I didn’t think I was going to enjoy it at all, what with having to play go-between for the Earnest Admirer that I didn’t initially have any reason to care about. And seeing the large number of possible endings in advance was a bit overwhelming; considering the necessary qualities needed for each ending, I thought it would be far too easy for me to screw up and be locked into an unwanted ending.

But the characters grew on me, and I particularly enjoyed the bizarre honey-dream and tracking the little sister across the rooftops. The ending I eventually got was, to me, extremely satisfying:

I advised the Nurse to follow her dream of zee-travel, got the sister to become Slivvy’s apprentice as the next Storm shaman, and helped the Poet and the Admirer realize that their respective attachments to the Nurse were both unhealthy and would, I think, have led to an unhappy relationship with her. The endings for each of these four characters is that of confronting their fears, overcoming what was holding them back, and Daring to take a chance on their dreams. I can’t be sure it will end happily for all of them, but at least they won’t regret not having tried.

Well, I made a dog’s dinner of everything, as usual. I suck at these stories :P

Though at least this time, I definitely got the idea from the story that sticking with the Poet as the love interest was a bad idea. But Fleshy hated the Admirer SO much that I really couldn’t think of any reason to make him side with the guy. I guess I technically hooked the Nurse and Poet up out of spite, so it’s not that much of a shocker that their romance didn’t end up having a fairytale ending :P

Then again, these are grown adults, and if they can’t make decisions about their own love lives and instead have to leave it up to some random, screaming, mohawked lunatic they met on the street, they deserve what they get.

Cute kid though. I do feel bad that my poor decision will end up affecting her too. Maybe I’ll have it be my headcanon that Fleshy took her into his orphanage after things fell apart.

I haven’t bought EF status this month but my husband did, so my comments are based on watching him play through the April story.

I thought the writing was beautiful and powerful as usual, but I disliked the idea that the story was asking the player to manipulate the characters (I’m with you on this one, Kukapetal). Also, because there wasn’t really any FL lore in this one, I found it to be rather slight. I thought the Nurse and her sister were really appealing characters, though.

At the very least the word manipulate is badly chosen. It raises my hackles, too. Maybe advise would have been the word to go with? But I suppose it’s calling a spade a spade.
I’ve been stuck at that stage in the story for three days now. Just don’t see the Vicomte as a manipulator of people’s lives.

I was a big fan of this one, as it seemed to have a more personal element than the usual picking of sides. Regardless of who you liked there wasn’t a de facto happy ending that would please everyone, and I think that was a wise decision.

Unlike most I was never tempted to send her zeefaring. I’ve lost enough captains in Sunless Sea to know that the average lifespan of a crewmember is about 17 seconds.

Instead Hebediah paired her with the Poet and returned her sister, continuing his long tradition of ruining innocent peoples lives in search of a result I had not found Echoed.
I now eagerly await the Urchin’s transformation into Parabola Adventurer and terrible writer once her sister inevitably gets lost in Honey Dreams and the Poet becomes her only role-model.

edited by Hark DeGaul on 4/4/2017