Another new cap

I just discovered that Selling Information to a colleague in the Flit will no longer raise your connections to the Criminals past 50. Hopefully the various connection exchange cards still go past that mark.

I understand that Failbetter can’t alert us in advance to every newly-placed cap, but could we perhaps have a warning on an action if it won’t have any benefit based on our current numbers? This was a bit more frustrating than just wasting an action on an opportunity card, since I also wasted some Casing.

[quote=silasilent]I just discovered that Selling Information to a colleague in the Flit will no longer raise your connections to the Criminals past 50. Hopefully the various connection exchange cards still go past that mark.

I understand that Failbetter can’t alert us in advance to every newly-placed cap, but could we perhaps have a warning on an action if it won’t have any benefit based on our current numbers? This was a bit more frustrating than just wasting an action on an opportunity card, since I also wasted some Casing.[/quote]

As well as making it impossible to use the university endowment and similar at above 20 in both. It’s annoying trying it out to figure you’ve not only wasted 3 actions, but also the stuff.

Worse yet, Selling Information only gives a paltry 10 change points now (down from about 45). For the price in actions, that’s a terrible deal.

I discovered this while trying to recover from the ridiculously outrageous loss of Criminal Connections that come from the new versions of the old cards that have shown up recently. Those cards are way out of balance. They tricked me into trying them to see what changes were made, then punished me for it by taking away the only viable means to recover from them.

As collateral damage, the new infestation of those cards, (along with the plague of tie-in cards from the FB Kickstarter reward) make a lot of the good cards show up less often.

No sir, I do not like these new stabs from the game one bit.

In addition, the new “Crime & Punishment” card is now a “Can’t Discard” opportunity. For some reason.
It seems a weird punishment for people who took the time to have both Connected: Criminals and Connected: Constables and an unnecessary throwback to when those cards were only good for lowering Connections and wasting actions.
For the life of me I don’t understand the change. With some of the old opportunity cards which require Conected: Criminals showing up more and giving bigger(and sometimes unique) rewards, I’d say there might be some new content related to the Criminals soon. But we just got new SMEN content, so I don’t expect anything new for another two or three months. It seems like they’re just re-working the cards, but the changes dn’t make sense unless they just want everyone to lower their Connections. Again, for some reason.

Agreed on the expense of the new versions – I had Connected: Criminals at about 112, tried a few of the cards, and gulp. Considering the number of actions it took to raise Connected: Criminals to that level, the rewards aren’t as rewarding as they might seem from the amount.

It’s also odd, given that there’s now an opportunity card that that gives Connected: Hell, but I haven’t found an equivalent one for Connected: Criminals yet.

They do seem expensive. I discovered the cap when I went to replenish my connections after using one of the remodeled cards.

The revised wording on “Crime & Punishment” made me very cautious after losing so many points of Criminals and finding I couldn’t replace them. I was going to leave it and think about it for a while. I didn’t immediately notice it was “can’t discard.”

I have had a ‘Crime or punishment’ card (it has a fist icon) for a week or so that I can’t discard.

If I click it nothing happens.

The hover text for the cards says I need Connected: Constables 50 (I have 94) and Connected: Criminals 50 (I have 34).

It seems really strange to me that I have to grind Connected: Criminals to 50 to even be able to play this card.

Wouldn’t this be a bug?

Well, the cards have said for a long time that if your connected to both factions (this is true of many opposite pairs) that you would be forced to choose. Now that they are implementing the can’t discard stuff, they’re making that wording on the cards true. It makes everything work the way the cards have claimed it would work for a long time.

[quote=Corran]It seems really strange to me that I have to grind Connected: Criminals to 50 to even be able to play this card.

Wouldn’t this be a bug?[/quote]

I’d guess a bug. Otherwise that makes absolutely no sense – forcing you to grind a quality that the card is built to take away.

Crime or Punishment is a normal card for me that I can discard – probably because my Connected qualities are both under 50 (thanks to those new crime cards, grumble grumble). I wonder if that’s the tipping point.

I’m happy to report the ‘Crime or punishment’ card has suddenly disappeared from my hand. I’m guessing there was a bug fix. :)