Announcing the Fourth Tournament of the SRS

Is the SRS committee accepting donations of prize money for this tournament? If so, who shall I send it to? (Sorry for bothering you about it in-game, James!)

As a reminder, signups for the Fourth Tournament will end on Friday, Nov 9th (at noon Eastern time), after which the tournament will begin, probably around a day later. There has been an impressive turnout so far, with 22 contestants already signed up. I will send out announcements to all contestants when the tournament begins. Enter now to win a shot at fame, glory, and a pile of First City Coins!

[quote=Vega]Is the SRS committee accepting donations of prize money for this tournament? If so, who shall I send it to? (Sorry for bothering you about it in-game, James!)[/quote]Donations of First City Coins are gratefully accepted (thanks for sending your contribution, Vega!). They can be sent directly to me in-game (profile link), and I record all donations and distributions on the SRS treasury page. All donations go solely towards SRS event prizes.
edited by James Sinclair on 11/7/2018

Are the Wins/Losses columns on the leaderboard sheet for all of the lethal duels you’ve ever fought, or only for those during the tournament? I ask because I hadn’t fought anyone with Anne before signing her up, but since then, she’s had some practice duels with someone and has acquired a ribbon.

Also. I think one of the recent updates has made it possible to survive losing a lethal duel again if you’re the attacker. She got &quotA Double Death&quot yesterday on a duel she’d instigated. I was able to go to the messages tab and accept a new-style offer of healing without her losing a Horsehead Amulet.
edited by SingingFlame on 11/9/2018

[quote=SingingFlame]Are the Wins/Losses columns on the leaderboard sheet for all of the lethal duels you’ve ever fought, or only for those during the tournament? I ask because I hadn’t fought anyone with Anne before signing her up, but since then, she’s had some practice duels with someone and has acquired a ribbon.[/quote]The leaderboard stats are for all Lethal Sparring Bouts that you’ve fought, both in and out of tournaments. Upon joining the Society, if you want to, you can fill out the Wins column with the number of Sanguine Ribbons that you already have (see note #4 on the Introduction page of the SRS document).

[quote=SingingFlame]Also. I think one of the recent updates has made it possible to survive losing a lethal duel again if you’re the attacker. She got &quotA Double Death&quot yesterday on a duel she’d instigated. I was able to go to the messages tab and accept a new-style offer of healing without her losing a Horsehead Amulet.[/quote]Very interesting! The recent site updates have have made a few minor changes and corrected some glitches, so hopefully this change sticks around. It could be extremely useful for participants in the tournament.

Thanks! I remembered reading something about filling in the Sanguine Ribbons you already had, but I’d been looking for it in the rules instead of the introduction.

[quote=James Sinclair]Very interesting! The recent site updates have have made a few minor changes and corrected some glitches, so hopefully this change sticks around. It could be extremely useful for participants in the tournament.[/quote]I think it’s the same as the old method. (Wasn’t it &quotgo immediately to the message / possessions tab instead of hitting ‘Onwards’&quot?) I’m not sure whether Tinctures of Vigour work, though, not having had the chance to test it.

You cannot access items like the Tincture of Vigour after being killed, but you can accept healing for wounds via the post-redesign social action without the &quotYou have to resolve this event&quot popout.

Looking at the current tournament log (which is turning into a fun pasttime, by the way), I had a thought… what about a wooden spoon award for the person(s) who has fought the requisite 15 opponents but lost every single match, ending up with zero points at the end of the tournament? Instead of coins, how about dead rats? Perhaps 1000 of them (ie. 10 gift packages)?

Not at all inspired by my own score right now. Not at all. ;P But I think it’ll be nice to have a prize acknowledging the bottom of the ladder. 15 losses is a lot of Death to escape.

In any case, both my alts (one who is non-contestant) are more than happy to contribute to a wooden spoon consolation prize of rats, and do the sending whenever the Gift opportunity card pops up. Just an idea!

edited by Vega on 11/15/2018

[quote=Vega]Looking at the current tournament log (which is turning into a fun pasttime, by the way), I had a thought… what about a wooden spoon award for the person(s) who has fought the requisite 15 opponents but lost every single match, ending up with zero points at the end of the tournament? Instead of coins, how about dead rats? Perhaps 1000 of them (ie. 10 gift packages)?

Not at all inspired by my own score right now. Not at all. ;P But I think it’ll be nice to have a prize acknowledging the bottom of the ladder. 15 losses is a lot of Death to escape.

In any case, both my alts (one who is non-contestant) are more than happy to contribute to a wooden spoon consolation prize of rats, and do the sending whenever the Gift opportunity card pops up. Just an idea![/quote]Ha! This is an fun idea, although I would not want to shame anyone who ended up with a poor showing in the tournament.

How about this: when the tournament concludes (or is near conclusion) , I’ll contact the participant(s) who has the lowest score among all participants who completed the requisite 15 bouts (therefore excluding anyone who &quotdropped out&quot, or didn’t finish the full 15), to make sure that this would be ok with them. If so, in the conclusion announcement where I announce the winner and runner-up, I’ll encourage all participants to send the lowest-scorer rats and cheerful messages.

Conveniently, this may happen around the annual fan holiday of Ratmas, so it would be seasonally-appropriate, too.

Is it still possible for me to join? I remember making sure my name was on the Leaderboards but then I went on a hiatus on the forums.

[quote=Reinol von Lorica ]Is it still possible for me to join? I remember making sure my name was on the Leaderboards but then I went on a hiatus on the forums.[/quote]Sorry Reinol, unfortunately signups are closed and the tournament is currently in progress. I would be glad to have you participate in the next event, though! Your name is indeed on the SRS Leaderboard, so in the meantime you can still challenge other Society members to lethal sparring bouts.

Hello James, a question. I’m currently fighting the 15th and last duel of my tournament log. However, I’ve issued some tournament challenges where my opponent had failed to respond in a timely manner. What happens when/if they decide to finally respond for the tournament - are those still legal duels? Can they still duel me and fill out their log, but those late duels not count for my own log?

[quote=Vega]Hello James, a question. I’m currently fighting the 15th and last duel of my tournament log. However, I’ve issued some tournament challenges where my opponent had failed to respond in a timely manner. What happens when/if they decide to finally respond for the tournament - are those still legal duels? Can they still duel me and fill out their log, but those late duels not count for my own log?[/quote]Once you’ve finished 15 lethal sparring bouts for the tournament, please cancel any remaining outstanding invitations that you’ve put out, and decline any existing or new requests from participants (in your reply to them, explain that you’ve already completed 15). Any lethal sparring bout fought with an opponent who has already completed 15 bouts would not be tournament-legal and would not qualify to be logged as points, for both participants.

While waiting for the tournament to conclude, you are welcome to fight bouts with other SRS members who are not involved in the tournament.

[quote=James Sinclair][quote=SingingFlame]Are the Wins/Losses columns on the leaderboard sheet for all of the lethal duels you’ve ever fought, or only for those during the tournament? I ask because I hadn’t fought anyone with Anne before signing her up, but since then, she’s had some practice duels with someone and has acquired a ribbon.[/quote]The leaderboard stats are for all Lethal Sparring Bouts that you’ve fought, both in and out of tournaments. Upon joining the Society, if you want to, you can fill out the Wins column with the number of Sanguine Ribbons that you already have (see note #4 on the Introduction page of the SRS document).

Wait, ALL duels?

I’ve only been keeping track of duels with fellow SRS members.

Can I update my wins accordingly? Otherwise my Sanguine Ribbon and win counts do not match up.

[quote=Cooper][quote=James Sinclair][quote=SingingFlame]Are the Wins/Losses columns on the leaderboard sheet for all of the lethal duels you’ve ever fought, or only for those during the tournament? I ask because I hadn’t fought anyone with Anne before signing her up, but since then, she’s had some practice duels with someone and has acquired a ribbon.[/quote]The leaderboard stats are for all Lethal Sparring Bouts that you’ve fought, both in and out of tournaments. Upon joining the Society, if you want to, you can fill out the Wins column with the number of Sanguine Ribbons that you already have (see note #4 on the Introduction page of the SRS document).

Wait, ALL duels?

Can I update my wins accordingly? Otherwise my Sanguine Ribbon and win counts do not match up.[/quote]

This is a bit of a problem for me. I now have 21 Sanguine Ribbons (up from the 14 I had at the end of the Third Tournament). So I’ve had at least 21 wins. I know I had 9 losses from the Leaderboard. But it’s possible I had OTHER non SRS losses I cannot recall.

[quote=Cooper]Wait, ALL duels?

Can I update my wins accordingly? Otherwise my Sanguine Ribbon and win counts do not match up.[/quote]Yes, you can include stats for all of your lethal sparring bouts on the leaderboard, even against non-members. It’s entirely possible that you may not have a full record of your wins and losses, especially before joining the Society, so don’t worry about it too much if you omit some of them or if you have to make an estimation of your numbers.

[quote=James Sinclair][quote=Cooper]Wait, ALL duels?

Can I update my wins accordingly? Otherwise my Sanguine Ribbon and win counts do not match up.[/quote]Yes, you can include stats for all of your lethal sparring bouts on the leaderboard, even against non-members. It’s entirely possible that you may not have a full record of your wins and losses, especially before joining the Society, so don’t worry about it too much if you omit some of them or if you have to make an estimation of your numbers.[/quote]

Neat, thank you. That makes me the fourth-deadliest man/woman/erm, yes in London.