Announcement: Another Chance for Second Chances

That’s progress of a sort, Lady T! Did your 8 then 8 more action losses show right away on the candles?

I’d love to get confirmation of whether second chances are supposed to consume the same amount of actions again.

I will likely never use them again on many-action storylets if that’s the case, unless it’s a high-stakes loss.

I just got a reply from failbetter on my ticket, and they said it is now fixed, so I’m guessing it was indeed a bug. I’ll have to wait for a card with a difficult check to show up and test.

Thanks Artificer!

I also wonder if ‘Perhaps Not’ was ever intended to cost an action. Staff didn’t seem to think it did, but that was probably because it was a hidden cost of action.

And if it is intended (or accidental but now that it’s discovered, intentionally left costly) then hopefully it’s only a [hidden] 1 action cost, not 8 on ‘Perhaps Not’ for the Overgoat and similar multiple action options.

If it still costs an action to ‘Perhaps Not’ out, what happens when you click it and have zero actions left? Will you be locked in the card until you can buy your way out? Or, like red auto-fire cards, can it be used with zero actions and cost zero. But if you have actions it costs actions. Red cards are weird like that.

I only ever play them when I have zero actions for that reason. They’re ‘free’ when you can’t afford them :P

I’ve just noticed that the second-chance box appears for Shadowy actions even though I have no Hastily Scrawled Warning Notes. I cannot actually check the box but it’s there, and as far as I can remember (I don’t trust my memory all that much) the relevant option used to appear only if the second chance of the appropriate type was available. Can anyone else confirm this? I suspect the change (if there is indeed such change) is due to the new system described in this thread.

I can confirm that observation; the box is showing up for all types of actions, regardless of whether I have the necessary second chance or not. It’s uncheckable if I don’t have the required object.

Does the game count second chances required as a cost and required for another attempt separately? I mean: if one has failed a theorem hunt several times and needs 16 Insights to have another second chance, and has 16 Insights, can he/she have another try (16 Insights is enough for a second chance and 16>9 which fulfils the cost requirement)?

You are right; I hadn’t noticed that at first, partly because I hadn’t really paid attention to the text that appears when I do have second chances available. I don’t use them (or social actions) all that often, to be honest.

I’m having a hard time understanding how this mechanic change does anything good… As far as I can tell a second chance only saves an action point? I’m being charged twice for whatever item is required the first time? I like the old system. I don’t understand why the cost of second chances goes up? I don’t even care about having them, only in the event when I don’t want to lose a precious or costly item.

A second chance, combined with a backing-out on first-failure, can mean most players never see failure text. this is a patch to remove this psudeo-exploit, to make it invalid. if you really want to, you can still avoid needing second chances, but it’s not longer the only/optimal route.

It should not make you have to pay twice for normal items, and i do not believe that is intentional. The last page mentions it, and it sounds like a bug.
edited by Grenem on 12/28/2015

Also, consider the name. They are second chances, not third, fourth, …, chances.

Which has nothing to do with what he’s complaining about. He’s got the double item requirement bug, (Use a second chance, need another action/copy of the item to continue) and thinks this is intentional, and announced in this thread. Pretty sure it’s a bug, but that’s what he’s worried about.

If you go into the thread thinking it’s about that, it’s pretty easy to keep making the mistake, so i can see why.
edited by Grenem on 12/28/2015