An intimate of Devils, with an eye to the North

I am currently saving up to purchase a room at the Embassy, however I somehow missed the fact that the discounted option requires An Intimate of Devils 1. I’m afraid there was a rather… unfortunate incident with my devilish suitors in which they noticed that the article they were after was… somewhat less than pristine after an… unfortunate tumble down a well. Since that time they have not reappeared; unlike the last time they lost interest in me. Does anyone know if the card to begin “an intimate of devils” shows up if your soul is stained, or if there is anything else that will prevent it from showing up? I haven’t seen that opportunity in quite some time, and am worried I’ll have to take the more expensive route to my brass rooms instead.

I seem to remember that you can start this storyline through one of the people who hang out in your lodgings - I can’t check though, because I already have this quality so it won’t show up for me at the mo.

Hmm, I’m not quite sure. I picked up the quality during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose. Not sure exactly which card can otherwise start “Intimate of Devils”.

If you’re an exceptional friend you may want to pay a visit to The House of Chimes.

Aha! The local gossip was kind enough to direct me towards the necessary damnation. Thank you!

Hmm… While this is not exactly my problem, I think that the existence of yours provides insight into mine. Since it seems that one cannot sell a sullied soul, does that also mean that one cannot befoul one that has been lost? I have 7 each of Weeping Scars and Memory of Chains, but not a single Stain on Your Soul.

That would be logical. After all, if you do not possess a soul, how can you stain it?

Incidentally, my devilish suitors became rather angry with me over the state of my own soul, and I was able to later trigger the start of the story from my Lodgings. However, although I now have An Intimate Of Devils 1, absolutely nothing further has happened, a fact that I am somewhat disappointed with. If they have no further interest in me, why allow me to alledgedly restart the story?

Eric: spoiler here: [color=#ffffff]You will lose your soul each time it is stained; and can not gain a further stain while you are searching for it.[/color] So it stands to reason that you can also not stain it if you’ve lost it in the more… pedestrian method.

travellersside: This has been the same for me. Actually, I find it quite a relief; I was afraid I’d have to fend off a dozen or so opportunity cards for lunches and dances with devils again. Instead, the quality is stuck on one, the exact value I needed to acquire my final residence. Third… let’s say third major residence; I’d rather it not be where I “finally” come to rest.

Ah, but juggling the devils was such a reliable source of Austere!

So…I searched the forum, but this was the only appropriate topic I found. Has anyone figured out how to raise Intimate of Devils past 1, again, once it previously was lost?

I’m guessing there’s a bit of a mix-up on the other end of this one. The second card in the chain requires Intimate of Devils: 2 before it can start showing up - to get it from zero up to two you have to play the opening card a few times. The Local Gossip only raises it to 1, though, and cannot be asked for help a second time - hence you would still need to be able to draw the first card to get anywhere with it.

Seems like a bit of an oversight - the Gossip should likely take it to 2 to get the card chain rolling as normal.

Hi all

I just wanted to check that none of you have your very own infernal contract, or a stain on your soul? These things will prevent the devil from showing up initially so you’ll need to be rid of them first. I’ve amended the Gossip card to make that clearer.
edited by Emily St Aubert on 8/24/2012

Thanks for amending the Gossip’s story - that definitely clears up this matter. I think we’ll have to chalk this up as one more casualty in our Northbound campaigns.

>_<

“Oh, a letter. I wonder if I should check the wiki to see what happens if I do this…nah, what could happen?”

I guess I really learned my lesson this time.

[quote=Emily St Aubert]Hi all

I just wanted to check that none of you have your very own infernal contract, or a stain on your soul? These things will prevent the devil from showing up initially so you’ll need to be rid of them first. I’ve amended the Gossip card to make that clearer.[/quote]

I had Intimate of Devils a couple of years ago, but sold my soul to the Quiet Deviless and lost the quality. I managed to get my soul back, and somehow (I can’t remember how) managed to restart the Intimate of Devils storyline so that I was able to get the Deviless working for my newspaper!

I managed to sell my soul again to the Affectionate Devil as I wanted to get some Devilbone Dice, but I again successfully got my soul back a couple of weeks ago.

I desperately want to restart the Intimate of Devils storyline so that I can enjoy masquing with the Quiet Deviless, but I have not drawn any cards that allow me to restart it, and the “local gossip” at my lodgings does not offer the option to restart it.

My stats are around 140, I am not seeking the name, don’t have a stain on my soul, and no longer have my very own infernal contract. Can anyone advise me please?! Thanks!

[quote=SpringHeeledFlapjack]I had Intimate of Devils a couple of years ago, but sold my soul to the Quiet Deviless and lost the quality. I managed to get my soul back, and somehow (I can’t remember how) managed to restart the Intimate of Devils storyline so that I was able to get the Deviless working for my newspaper!

I managed to sell my soul again to the Affectionate Devil as I wanted to get some Devilbone Dice, but I again successfully got my soul back a couple of weeks ago.

I desperately want to restart the Intimate of Devils storyline so that I can enjoy masquing with the Quiet Deviless, but I have not drawn any cards that allow me to restart it, and the “local gossip” at my lodgings does not offer the option to restart it.

My stats are around 140, I am not seeking the name, don’t have a stain on my soul, and no longer have my very own infernal contract. Can anyone advise me please?! Thanks![/quote]

Sorry - I’ve just carefully checked my stats again and have seen I was mistaken. I haven’t lost my “Intimate of Devils” quality - it’s been raised to 20! Is this a bug? Falibetter Games - any help please? Thank you!

Although this may mean that when I get 100 Masquing, I can woo the Quiet Deviless… I’ll have to get the card to see first!

If you lose your soul to a devil then it increases the Intimate of Devils quality to 20.

Indeed. Does your Intimate of Devils change if you get your soul back? Do you lose this quality?

Indeed. Does your Intimate of Devils change if you get your soul back? Do you lose this quality?[/quote]

The frustrating thing is I managed to get my soul back and the quality has remained at 20, when I know for a fact that the previous time I sold and regained my soul I was able to restart the Intimate of Devils storyline somehow. I just can’t remember how…

Indeed. Does your Intimate of Devils change if you get your soul back? Do you lose this quality?[/quote]

The frustrating thing is I managed to get my soul back and the quality has remained at 20, when I know for a fact that the previous time I sold and regained my soul I was able to restart the Intimate of Devils storyline somehow. I just can’t remember how…[/quote]

There’s a card unlocked by having Your Very Own Infernal Contract and being an Intimate of Devils that will remove the Intimate of Devils quality. Do you think you played that between selling your soul and getting it back?

Edit: As for advise…I can’t really think of much. If you are involved in the Soul Trade you could sell your soul to the devil who shows up on the What Profit? card, and wait until you draw the card that will remove your Intimate of Devils quality.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/16/2013