An important reminder re: Hallowmas confessions

Reminder: Each player can only accept ONE confession from each other character.
Sending one of each type of confession request to the same account is not effective, as they will only be able to accept one of those per Hallowmas. :-)

On the action itself, it says:
&quotYou will need an associate with <requirements> who hasn’t confessed to you already.&quot
So while your enthusiasm is appreciated, do try not to become over-zealous when sending these to a single person, k? ^_^

PS:- I’ve had a couple people send me multiple actions - and although I may have accidentally done this myself - I had one person sent me four of the things, three of which were POSI actions, but I physically cannot accept all of them. (You know who you are, and I’m sorry to waste your 9 action points! T_T I tried sending you a message but FL glitched out, but as you weren’t the only one to do it… this post happened instead.)

EDIT: Also, if you would like to receive confession requests from other players, you need the appropriate menaces at 3 or higher.
(I have a few people who’ve sent me requests, but I cannot reciprocate as they are listed as not having the required Qualities.)
edited by Kittenpox on 10/28/2015

I like to keep a notepad open with a list of all the folks I’ve sent confessions so I don’t accidentally re-send them.

That’s what I’ve been doing. Though I am seriously considering switching to a Spreadsheet so I have separate columns for the name / account name (as some people have differing names that show up), and also whether I’ve sent/received, and maybe also if I’m aware that they have a preference.
(Though I know how I am with spreadsheets, and it’s going to be super-helpful; but only after I spend like 2 hours making the damn thing. :-p )

Yeah, but then you could post a copy of the spreadsheet template and then everyone will end up using it every Hallowmas and praise your Holy, Organized Name.

In a similar vein, you do not need to send a calling card before sending a confession request. It is a waste of actions both for the sender and the receiver

I do this as well, but since the Google submission form functions as a good check for people I have already sent requests to, the notepad is mostly useful in helping me decide whom to prefer next (I like the symmetry of reciprocating requests), as well as keeping an overall count. I have targets to reach, and I like to keep track of my progress in this, my first Hallowmas as a Fallen Londoner… I have already lost the first day, you know, because this whole business was so confusing to me at first and I didn’t have the time to do the requisite study until Tuesday morning. (And I still got the cap on non-PoSI confessions wrong.)

My problem is when I add people I often hit enter sending another invite to the first person on my list. I’m impatient.

I’ve been working my way down the first list of confessions, and checking anyone who sends me one against that. If they don’t show up on the section of the list i’ve done, I send them one. This could lead to loops, (if someone else doesn’t check their tally and sends one in response) but probably won’t, if i’m careful.
edited by Grenem on 10/28/2015

Here is the spreadsheet that I made for myself to keep track, if anyone is interested

Warning: It is a Macro Enabled Excel Sheet. I don’t have anything malicious coded in there, but you should be aware. (You will also have to enable macros after opening to use the macro, which isn’t technically necessary for the thing to work)

https://goo.gl/x0fhBy
edited by Hypersomnus on 10/28/2015

Something I just discovered that may be helpful: The search function on your browser (on Chrome at least) will search the entirety of your message queue, so if you aren’t sure if you have sent a confession invite to someone or not, you can Ctrl+F their name to see if it shows up. Of course, this stops working so well once your queue fills up so much that it starts pushing entries off.

[quote=The Duke of Waltham]
I do this as well, but since the Google submission form functions as a good check for people I have already sent requests to, [/quote]

For simplicity’s sake I made a personal copy of the Google spreadsheet that players add their names to for confessions, and highlight the names with different colors to keep track of who I have sent to, who I owe confessions to etc. It works reasonably well.

This does work to a point, but, confusingly, incoming invites are listed by Fallen London name, and outgoing notices are listed by StoryNexus name. If those names differ, you can still miss a person.

I’m just doing the best I can with a complicated text file of my own devising. I’m sure a few people will slip through the cracks, but all manner of thing will be well in the end!
edited by Gemma Hawley on 10/28/2015

This does work to a point, but, confusingly, incoming invites are listed by Fallen London name, and outgoing notices are listed by StoryNexus name. If those names differ, you can still miss a person.

I’m just doing the best I can with a complicated text file of my own devising. I’m sure a few people will slip through the cracks, but all manner of thing will be well in the end!
edited by Gemma Hawley on 10/28/2015[/quote]

I’ve found that kinda works, but having email notifications turned on has been a godsend. It’s been allowing me to search text there as well, which sometimes matches up better if the name doesn’t show up in the Messages tab in Fallen London. :-)
edited by Kittenpox on 10/29/2015

I’ve made a google sheet to track my own progress. If anyone wants to clone it, feel free to do so - just remember the data labels are a bit obscure:

Requests for confessions sent are in column Out-0, Confessions collected are in column Out-1. Requests for confessions received are In-0, while confessions given are In-1.

For future years, might I humbly propose an in-game lock on soliciting any additional confessions from the same person?

Yes, if this is manageable it would be SO GREAT, I had some kind of failure to sync my notes program and wasted about seven confessions, which was pretty dispiriting.

You already can’t get further confessions from the same person if they’ve accepted a request. If they haven’t accepted any requests though, the quality isn’t set so it isn’t locked.

There in lies the problem, as many people won’t actually be accepting confessions until after they can no longer be sent. Meaning that many people may accidentally send two or more invitations to them by accident, wasting precious actions in lump sums of three along the way.

If you are still in need of a simple tracker, feel free to save and use a private version of this spreadsheet I made: it’s not particularly nuanced but it does the job.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DJ4M8zEHl-YU0x0-VhdiPucgiEeGblTZVgSCJKHpey0/edit?usp=sharing