An agreement amongst seekers

I would like to be a part of this pact. I have enigmas, so I would gladly help enforce
edited by Mac Trilby on 5/4/2013

I would also like to to be a part of this pact.

Well, here goes: Zmflavius just betrayed me. Only 2 tokens, but it’s the principle, right?
edited by Esterhazy on 5/5/2013

Indeed it is. 2 tokens are the same as 20 tokens, as it’s impossible to know how many you’ll get until you’ve taken them.

[quote=Esterhazy]Well, here goes: Zmflavius just betrayed me. Only 2 tokens, but it’s the principle, right?
edited by Esterhazy on 5/5/2013[/quote]
Which brings up a question: how should this be accomplished? I have no Enigmas at the moment, but should I knife him up or seek some other vengeance on him? If the betrayer should be betrayed in turn, will some volunteer step forward so only one of us need spend an Enigma on retribution? I will happily do my part as I am able, I simply wish to know what that part is.[li]

We should of course first steal the silver tokens back (and speak up once you’ve done this so that we don’t waste lots of enigmas). After that, Zmflavius should be at the top of everyone’s stab list. If you have three stab cards in your hand, use all of them. And let us know here which forms of attack are successful if he’s in the iron league. And make sure you let Zmflavius know why he’s being stabbed so much.

I believe he has fled the scene, as he is not on the list at the moment

When choosing who to betray, I believe that one is only shown candidates with at least one prize token, in which case this won’t be a problem. It’s been a while since I had an Enigma to check.

Thinking about successful betraying strategies, there may be people who only ever return from zee long enough to check for fresh candidates. One envisions a number of K&C participants lounging around Wolfstack Docks, ever-so-casually cleaning their nails with stilettos, one eye on the horizon.

When choosing who to betray, I believe that one is only shown candidates with at least one prize token, in which case this won’t be a problem. It’s been a while since I had an Enigma to check.

Thinking about successful betraying strategies, there may be people who only ever return from zee long enough to check for fresh candidates. One envisions a number of K&C participants lounging around Wolfstack Docks, ever-so-casually cleaning their nails with stilettos, one eye on the horizon.[/quote]

The dockers eye these layabouts - some cloaked and masked, some free and open, some clean, some filthy, all with the vicious eye-glint of a casual, even habitual murderer - with suspicion and not a little fear. A cluster of Neddy Men pass by, their eyes averted. A junior Special Constable with more ambition than sense attempts to question them and is hurried away by a superior. [li]

If we’re not to take advantage of this mechanic though - how shall we ever get to 77 silver tokens? At the moment I’d require uh…7 more injections of silver tokens into the game (EDIT: Through alts/non Seeking friends that I have advanced knowledge of forms - NOT because I’m that close!) . Which if they keep coming at the current rate, I’d be perfectly happy to wait for. I…don’t know that i can believe that happens.

While I think the agreement is made in good spirits - the economy is questionable. I counted a little over 60 of us at present, is that about right? Saint Arthur’s Candle is harder and harder to acquire, the influx of people behind us will be minimal. How many of the us will really make it to the 4th candle…or the 5th? Especially if the pain is (as promised) only going to get worse? Given that probably the 3rd candle will be a significant cut down - we’re talking about facing the judgement of the community for future candles - a community made up mostly of the people who made the hard choice to take.

That said - I’ve been wrestling with the moral implications of choosing to use this action for days. I really want the third candle, and am loathe to admit to defeat. However, I also don’t wish to set back others. I spend all time in the city terrified - and always keep an action open and an enigma ready to immediately reclaim lost tokens.

I require further deliberation, I think the pact is probably a good idea, at least makes sitting in London less frightening. It just scares me terribly that signing the pact may also mean I may never…know.
edited by Dharlome on 5/6/2013

As I’ve said before, there will be those who’ve acquired a good number of tokens, but decide that enough is enough and give up their search. For proper payment, some of these individuals will likely allow you to take their tokens. True, the number of people to get the next candle will likely be small, but that’d be true in either case. This way at least some of us will reach our goal in a civilized manner.

Also, I still think there’s some room for cleverness in acquiring tokens through conventional means, although it might take a tremendously long time.

I’m (Moomin) leaving my intentions unclear. My lack of tokens will be punishment enough for anyone who spends an enigma trying to get them cackle.

HOWEVER - I’ve not seen a single option for getting a candle. Does this come up when you have the right number of tokens, and otherwise doesn’t appear? Or is it in a rare card?
edited by babelfishwars on 5/6/2013

It’s on the Restitution card for 77 Iron Knife Tokens.

A brotherhood of the Empty Faith? Seekers–we most inhuman and perverse of Fallen London’s monsters–banding together in fellowship?

Humanity, I love you! You never cease to amaze. Count me in, most gladly, and I’d certainly be interested in coordinated cleverness to evade the cap.

To which end, I must point out: the Order of the Wistful Rose, Third to First class, provide a total of 18 extra Knife Tokens. If Unfettered is worth at least nine–presumably the case, as First was worth ten–it is possible to attain the Candle without Waxwail Knives, on two conditions: first, that the Order’s gifts are not subject to the cap (which I had thought was the case, but cannot confirm) and second, that no award be sought until the cap is reached. Alas, I took the Rose First Class well before I reached the cap, and will therefore need a Waxwail Knife to gain the Candle, but if a member of this group were willing to accept repeated knifings to allow others to inflate their winning streaks, we might be able to provide a leg up towards the Candle in an orderly and civil fashion.

I can test the theory shortly once I have a few more actions - I’m in a position to claim unfettered. I believe Unfettered is worth 16, if what I’ve been told is true. But yes, alas it will also be too late for me. It’s the Knife or nothing at all.

I too am intrigued by this pact, how do i join and to what are the terms?

As you are nowhere near far enough along to get a candle it would be for the best to simply proceed at your own pace and keep it in mind for later. Everything you need to know about the pact is in the first post.

I am pretty much entirely certain that Awards won’t give you anything over the cap, it seems to be an overall hard cap on the amount you can have. When I tried to buy a Chrysalis Candle with 63 tokens it flipped out and ate 13 of them, leaving me at exactly 50. The only way to break through the cap is to get a large amount of tokens at once- hence how I got 63 tokens. So the Waxwail trade is most definitely the only course of action.

A Gentlemen’s agreement seems a rather pleasant proposition to me, one which I’ll gladly take up.

Yeah, you’re right. I tried to claim an award when I was at 50 tokens, and I remained at 50 tokens… unfortunately!

[li]