An affair of the box. (and the newspaper)

I have come to the point in my boxly affairs where I must make a choice (I still don’t fully understand what’s going on with the moon milk, but it is time to chose)

I feel the best about printing the newspaper, but I don’t have a newspaper yet. I’ve been stumped by my lack of … what was it? a tiger I think. so I don’t have an editor and I’m not sure I can get one.

What happens with the other 2 options? Can you really destroy London?

You mean the ocelot? You can get by that by purchasing an Ornate Typewriter in the Bazaar if I’m not mistaken. There’s always one option that is free and one that is not when hiring people for your newspaper. As for your second question, the answer is no.

Oh, so I need to buy a typewriter to get the ocelot? Nifty! (I won’t lose the ocelot or the typewriter when progressing the story will I? And is the ocelot unique? or could I just buy another typewriter to get a new one?)

No, the ocelot is from the fatelocked continuation of Theological Husbandry in the Labyrinth of Tigers. The typewriter is just to buy somebody to help with your newspaper. You wouldn’t lose the ocelot if you hired him, but you do lose the typewriter if you go that route.

There are two sets of things you can do to create your newspaper - one is to recruit friends and the other is to hire professionals. So if you do not have a corresponding ocelot (friend option) you can buy the ornate typewriter (hire professional). As far as I know they don’t get taken away from you.

Edit oh well I guess you do lose the things you buy.
edited by reveurciel on 1/2/2013
edited by reveurciel on 1/2/2013

You can earn the Ocelot through the Fate-locked part of the Labyrinth. The Typewriter is an alternative for the Ocelotless. You lose the Typerwriter if you take that option - you don’t lose the Ocelot if you use him instead.

Yep, you do lose the stuff you use to hire professionals. I had to make a portfolio of souls to hire some devils because I refused to become an intimate of devils.

Oh, the intimate of devils storyline? It never seemed to go anywhere for me. I refused to give them my soul so they just hang out in my chance cards and keep asking. It’s too bad because I liked that storyline.

If you defy them long enough you’ll lose the progress, and, if Connected:Hell is below 3 you won’t have the card again. Alternatively, stain your soul by seeking a certain name. That’ll keep the devils away, unless you both get connected:hell 5 and A shepherd of souls.

I actually did that on purpose, to have access to the Quite Deviless’ “Abstraction?” card, that deals 3 Appalling Secrets (and 1 Soul, but that’s hardly valuable) on the “Decline, but spy on the proceedings” option. And also because I liked to play the hard to get with devils :3

You did ‘that’ on purpose? that makes you a soulless now right? How’s your posture?

Uhm, no, no. I advanced my intimacy with devils to the point of the offer - then I sistematically ignored the offer. Now spying the proceedings systematically gives Appalling Secrets that went to feed my lovely Plant, and I like the idea of the devils still hoping to get my soul :3

Uhm, no, no. I advanced my intimacy with devils to the point of the offer - then I sistematically ignored the offer. Now spying the proceedings systematically gives Appalling Secrets that went to feed my lovely Plant, and I like the idea of the devils still hoping to get my soul :3[/quote]

Oh, then… pretty much the same as I’ve done.

Now if I didn’t need to risk my soul to progress then I would totally go out with that quiet devilless (is that spelled wrong?) I kinda liked her. Too bad she’s not an option for constant companion… I only ever got offered the artist’s model or the jewel thief.

so what’s your plant’s rank? can we fight?

Eventually, I believe they’re planning on implementing that very thing. In time, in time. Not now, but down the line. The next time you find yourself in possession of one, take a good long look at a Portfolio of Souls.

A worthy collection of soul jars and contracts. What devil could resist? [This is mainly used for creating advanced items - such as courting the Quiet Deviless.]

[quote=Saharan]Eventually, I believe they’re planning on implementing that very thing. In time, in time. Not now, but down the line. The next time you find yourself in possession of one, take a good long look at a Portfolio of Souls.

A worthy collection of soul jars and contracts. What devil could resist? [This is mainly used for creating advanced items - such as courting the Quiet Deviless.]”[/quote]
That’s been there for over a year and a half. While that might have been part of the plan a very long time ago, there is no guarantee it’s in anything close to the plan now.

hi ho! my main is starting a newspaper, mostly for the purpose of publishing some master’s secrets eventually, and for something to do later i guess.

i think i have all the items i need. just not so sure about the connections/contacts.

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/An_Editor_of_Newspapers

so i’ll need a typewriter since i don’t have an ocelot? how about the wry functionary? i am not certain i have the “Acquaintance: Wry Functionary” quality high enough. so i should need a comprehensive bribe to make up for that?

Yes, you’ll need a typewriter. If you don’t have your Wry Functionary at 3 you’ll either need a Comprehensive Bribe or to raise it. What is it currently?

Pretty much, yes. It shouldn’t be too hard to get your acquaintance with the Wry Functionary up to 3, but if you’re not keen on waiting then the comprehensive bribe will do fine.

A typewriter is a good investment. You’d need it to help with publishing stories later.

Unfortunately you lose it here, so you would need to purchase another one for personal use.